rFactor2 Build 240 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 27, 2013.

1. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

No release today

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That happened about a day (or more) ago. So probably in preparation for the release that now hasn't happened.

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

4. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Build 280 released!.................................somewhere in our minds...:rolleyes:

Cool to see that I was not the only one checking for the whole Friday night hoping to see a new lovely update.

So, let´s watch this again...

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@GaetanL...maybe the new update will finally have smoke images similar to yours:D
    Seriously though, we need to stop trying to anticipating updates.
    It's becoming abundantly clear that the original version of RF only progressed as fast as it did, because of modders with knowledge of it's structure.
    This seems to be a whole different kettle of fish.
    Seems like we've been discussing RF2 for at least four years...maybe more. I know it was at least two before the beta was released.
    Anybody remember when the first screenshot was released?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  6. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Lol while watching that I tried to press the down arrow so I could see parts in slow motion. Clearly I need to go to bed.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But rF2 isn't a scratch project. Admittedly they seem to have thrown out some rF1 stuff that would have been (and still would be, in some cases) a nice placeholder while they work on the more advanced stuff, but the early screenshots were just using the existing engine (which would have already progressed from rF1 stage due to their own development for commercial projects) with maybe a few things they were testing and aiming to put into rF2.

rF1 wasn't a scratch project either, but I don't know how many fans of F1C etc were hanging around waiting for it while it was being developed - whereas here we have quite a few rF1 fans hanging out for rF2.

Having said all that, I certainly expected a more 'complete' rF2 after around 6 months of beta, with a lot of the more advanced stuff still to be completed/added in the subsequent years. Instead we're only recently getting to a useable state but still with some annoying bugs, so it's starting to feel like we'll have to wait for a lot of the more advanced stuff to be implemented before everything that's in works properly and provides a complete picture. An early example of this was tyre degradation, where rF1's simpler system which at least worked was removed, so for quite a while in rF2 there wasn't any. That hole has now been filled, but there are others.

And I look at it from the other direction - the modders went crazy on rF1 because it used familiar formats etc (to previous ISI titles, and other titles using the gmotor engine), but maybe the reason there appears to be less of a frenzy with rF2 is because there have been, and still are, some bugs that can make 'serious' racing really irritating. So lots of leagues etc are sticking with rF1, reducing the demand for rF2 mods. I certainly think it's more that than people not moving to rF2 because of a lack of mods - considering how much better rF2 already is in several areas, and the variety already available in ISI mods, if it were as robust as rF1 everyone would already be on it and waiting for mods. And that, largely, isn't happening.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Rf2 is such a contradiction.
    On the one hand when I am sitting in the cockpit of a Clio looking out onto the track at Feels3 Croft circuit, nothing looks better or reminds me more of my actual track sessions.
    Then I do a replay and it's like I'm watching Crammond's GP2.
    That's not the most frustrating part though...I could do without watching replays.
    What is more frustrating is the lack of information from ISI on where they're going... despite the fact they've heard it's a concern.
    I do not expect them to come out and tell everything they're doing behind the scene.
    I would however,like to know what direction they're going on things that should never have seen the light of day in RF2...beta or otherwise... (things like square/blocky smoke. windshields frames turning black as they're going through smoke, cars that look like they need clearcoating, 'cotton ball' kickup, smoke inside the cockpit from brake locking, etc...
    They're plenty of great things about RF2. It is without doubt, the best sim to date from a driver's perspective. It will continue to evolve...that I'm sure of. I plan to stay here till it's over.
    If they're finding it a bit difficult to cure some of these things in a timely manner and say as much, we'll understand.
    The worst thing they can do is stay silent. That could be perceived as a form of arrogance, which I'm hoping it is not.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I couldnt agree more

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Great question. The grass grip really needs to be reconsidered, especially under 10mph. It's quite silly right now.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Tim,

a few weeks/months (can't remember) ago you mentioned we should wait with GUI modding for a month or two.
    After that I just stopped working on the GUI.
    How is the status on that? Should we still wait? Something going to change?

Thx

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Grass is good--assuming it was wet and a really hard surface underneath ;)

Hopefully there will be a few nuanced off-track grip settings to simulate the more typical situations.

13. Alesi

Alesi Registered

are u going to update also demo version every build? i mean now its 240... but than we will have 300-400 builds (so its not logicals to attract players with the demo with old build)