The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Seriously awesome initiative Marc. I will try to add whatever I can. :)

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 Perfect and TIA

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Great job with this thread, Marc. By chance does anyone know when AIW and VEH are going to be moved outside .mas? Thanks again for the great thread :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks chaps :)

When? I did'nt know they were! :confused: (if that's stated in this thread tell me now :p)

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Tim, says here...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17023-Talent-File-Editor?p=223078&viewfull=1#post223078

... "FYI, talent, veh, skins, etc, will all be outside of the mas files in another location at some point, to enable sharing of carsets rather than sharing of repackaged same cars with carsets. "

Here, he doesn't say "AIW" and sure what "etc." is but I also believe I read about AIW also but cannot confirm. If I see it I will let you know...

Edit - Here is just where someone is "hoping" that AIW is also outside...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17023-Talent-File-Editor?p=223169&viewfull=1#post223169

...so maybe that is what I am recalling so not sure :(

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh yes now I remember thanks, Talent was moved but it's still in a MAS file but now can be used in the Vehicle MAS. As for the AIW I doubt that will ever be outside of a MAS.

7. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

In any cases there's in AIW file some variables that impacts in AI behavior.

8. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I can't seem to get AI Autocalibrate="2" to do anything with build 930. I had it working a long time ago in the first build this feature was available in but stopped messing with it. Now it doesn't want to work at all. I use it in practice with qualifying and race disabled but nothing ever gets saved even after an AI car has run over 1,000 laps. Been using ISI cars and ISI tracks too and it still doesn't work.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

From memory you need qualifying so that when you end the practice session it saves, I remember the same issue when only practice was selected. Try that

10. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

See my old threat for a hugely important AI variable in the AIW file that is new to rFactor 2 (at least, I don't remember it being in 1). I stopped messing with it and gave up on the whole game because the packaging thing was literally driving me insane, making it so much confusing work to get the game to even show my modified files, unlike the easy simplicity of rF1. But, I am going to try again soon. And the slowwhenpushed variable in the AIW file is incredibly important for making AI drivers act like real drivers and not scared children when racing in a pack. It was night and day when I made this change at Joesville.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16464-Slow-AI-on-ovals

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Aha. And what behaviour exactly did you recognize at which setting?
    The answer to that is not to find in the thread you linked.....

12. Emery

Emery Registered

It's in the original thread...

Problem: "In the beginning they were ridiculously easy to beat so I turned them up to 120% and still wasn't satisfied. [...] I found that it was easy to catch and pass the leader even though I was running 17.5s [vs 16.9s of AI]. Once I passed him he stuck with me pretty well, almost as if there was a little rubber-banding going on. Then someone got side by side with him and they both started driving like grandmothers and I quickly pulled so far ahead I was almost at the back of the field by the end of the 10 lap race."

Solution: "ANYWAY, on a hunch I reduced the slowwhenpushed variable in the AIW file from 1.0 to 0.1 and that completely destroyed my problem!"

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks mattlambertson that looks like a good tip for Ovals, I'll have a play with this setting myself this week and take a closer look.

14. mattlambertson

If someone can teach me how to edit the AIW files for tracks without having to recompile and revalidate (or whatever they're calling it) the package every time you make a tiny change, I want to dig back into the AI soon. I have a lot of AI customization experience from rF1 (and all the way back to Sports Car GT and F1 2000 actually) but when I tried to get into rF2 modding a year ago I just bounced right off it because I could not comprehend the new process. I miss being able to just stick the unpackaged files into appropriate location folder and have the game read that instead of the mas file. My interest in rF is 90% offline AI stuff and I'm good at tweaking so I can probably provide a lot of valuable experimental info once I can figure out how to mod the damn thing. Last year when I tried, the game would start hiding the tracks I was trying to edit because their checksums didn't match the "real" ones and it almost drove me insane. If someone is willing to tutor me briefly feel free to PM me, or if there is a link to a good explanation that would work too, I know there weren't any I could comprehend when I tried last year.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

matt
    you have to put the track in Devmode and then it´s no other than in rF1

I do it all the time:

-Follow the folders/folder directories like they are in rfactor2\installed\locations\trackyouwant
    -create the same directories as folders in Devmode\locations
    -extract the MAS-files located in "installed" to the specific folders you created in "Devmode\locations" for each MAS
    -edit the .SCN file so that rF2 can find it. NOTE: dont specify MAS-files in it, but instead the location of the folders you created in DevMode
    -MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS has to be in every SCN!
    -.TDF has to be in every MAIN folder of each track-layout (if there are more than one)
    -in .GDB the "TerrainDataFile"-entry has to look like this: = Brands_Hatch_INDY.tdf (I´m not sure if this is a must)

I hope I didn´t forgot anything :)

DO IT! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

17. mattlambertson

I was told when I tried before that devmode is missing key features and should not be used. Is that no longer true?

I see that both the game and the dev mode release are both at 930...maybe when I tried to get started before, they were not at the same version at the same time.

Now I just have to figure out how the hell dev mode is meant to be run as far as folders and launchers and stuff...it's absolutely baffling. Downloading sdk gives me "Mod Mode" execs but refuses to run them without a launcher which, naturally, is not included. *sigh* someday I will figure it out. Still missing the ease of rF1 and other older ISI games...

Okay, an hour later I finally understand...have to use the original launcher. I never paid attention to that button before. Idiot. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  18. mattlambertson

Unfortunately, I tried using Noel's tool on the ISI Indycar, and everything shows up correctly until I open an actual track session, where the cars which were previously correct on the spinner turn into weird yellow blob things. Perhaps a feature of devmode I don't understand? However the built-in Skip Barber cars show up fine.

Spinner vs In-Sim

I would also greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of how to disable the devmode UI features like the edtor menus, console and the markers for pathing and particles...I've been googling a while and can't seem to find much info on devmode in general. Sorry for stupidity. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

This yellow "blob" is the temp-car, what means that something of the car can´t be found.
    Check .Gen file: on top of it there are the "searchpath" entrys. Check if paths are correct.
    Otherwise edit like described above (where I wrote about track in Devmode).

Of this purple thin lines you can get rid of by editing ModDev\UserData\player\player.JSON
    "Graphic Options"

"Gap Check":0, -----> must be 0

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

The tool from Noel cannot unpack encrypted mas files, as it is the case with the Indycar.
    To train with devmode choose a car whose mas file you can open yourself with the mas tool. Noel's tool edits path in the .gen files, so i cannot do it's magic on encrypted mas files.

For instance the FISI 2012 is not encrypted, so you can install it in DevMode.

There are good tutorials on youtube for the packaging.

I assure you that the packaging system of RF2 is excellent when you know how to use it (I can pack a new mod in less than 30s).

I recomend you use Noel's tools.

Cheers.