Lag in race

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by 1959nikos, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I agree and will go even further because we were never considered testers even in the beginning. Testers get weekly builds. We are not testers. We paid for early access to whatever this is.

2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I didn`t do test for ISI, but for our community. I have a league schedule to run, and 1st race of the season already failed. Since ISI ignoring this major issue (at least no indication of acknowledgment given here), I have no choice, but to try to figure out something myself.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why go and wreck something that is working fine.

My logic says you test a build and say no this has a race bug we will have to redo before release.

Or don't they test it online.

Or did they say release it with the bug we will fix it later.

Isn't that called KNOWN ISSUES ??? i did not see it in the readme ???

So they did not know or hid the fact, either way fail for mine.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

This thread started as a bug report and asking if there was a fix for it, nothing more nothing less.
    This is not a thread to give your opinion of how ISI works or should.
    Please start your own if you feel like it.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well it seems a reasonable question to me.

If they knew the bug was there they could have plastered a warning on it so people knew to alter league races on weekend instead of fumbling in the dark and shooting yourself in the foot.

Whatever.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Going back to this off-topic for a moment, I have to object to your singling out rF2 in this regard. Nearly all standard installer packages (and their corresponding uninstallers) log what files have been changed/installed, and those are the files that get removed upon uninstallation. Yes, in an evolving/developing/changing/unstable product this can cause issues, but in itself it's perfectly normal behaviour, and I've had to make allowances for it previously with some other software (not just games).

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

This is the situation.

8. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I've seen that once or twice in rF1 as well. We once had a horrible night of people getting disconnected, then when people got back in, there were duplicates for some drivers.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that the uninstaller might be meshing up when you have more than one installations of rf2. I recently changed the installation path to my D partition of the hard drive. When I was trying the uninstall.exe that was in yhe previous instalation in C, it just erased most content of what I have in D.

I dont fully agree with the concept of comparing uninstalling tool between rfactor and regular software. Rfactor needs the installed content within "installed" directory or userdata when a player is added ie. It is not like excel where you can save files wherever you want. It is normal to later include addons or plugins. Those are also removed, I would say, in most cases when the main program is uninstalled. For sure some addons have installation programs or are updated within the program itself. Besides, rfactor2 has its own content installation tool so it is not like if the user is placing stuff where he wants.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I highly disagree. No installer should ever uninstall user content. I would be pissed if I ran an uninstall and it removed content that isn't replaceable. The "Data Path" stores more than just the PLR and INI files. It also stores setups, Hotlaps and lap records. If you keep the core and data path in separate locations (like the default) then you can easily delete the core or data path independently, without even using the uninstaller.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Dont you know about backups?
    Everybody can copy and paste important stuff into a backup folder. Actually it is quite common to do it. If you uninstall programs without checking some basics you will end up losing something and you know that.

For example if i uninstall a game, I lose my progress in it and that's it (and you know). The main reason to uninstall something is because you dont need it anymore. If you dont have the program why woukd you need the content?
    Do you think that all programs require as many installations and uninstalations as rf2 does? It is the sofware that I have installed and uninstalled more times by a factor 5 probably wrt to the second in the ranking. This applliea not only to different updates but within the same update as well

You might think I have betatested this product only but you woulb be wrong. I betatest the simulation software for the company I work and have never seen myself in this situation.

I although do agree it is wise that user content to be separate from program. Much easier to distinguish what is what.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You're contradicting yourself a little. Yes maybe you and I are familiar with backups. I have been surrounded by computers from the age of 6 and have been employed in the industry for 18 years now. This stuff is easy for me. You complain about the uninstaller not removing user content but if you are as computer savvy as you seam then why would you even be need this? The uninstaller is designed to be dummy proof. If it removed user content then all the people that don't understand computers as well would loose their personal data.

There really is no reason to uninstall rF2. You just auto update or install a lite build over the top of the last. Sounds like all the theories in this thread of fully removing rF2 and reinstalling don't really solve the problem. This is just a bug that slipped through and will be fixed in the next public build (as confirmed by Jeremy).

Everyone is so bent out of shape about this. Sure it is aggravating but at the same time discos are aggravating. I am willing to deal with the bugs for a few weeks in exchange for the ability to reconnect to a race session. The reconnect code is what has caused all the join/part lag.

13. Vintook

Vintook Registered

spaskis and Noel, please take your conversation to another thread, you are cluttering this important thread with unrelated stuff.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

There. Related to the thread. This topic can just be closed until the next build. ;)

Edit: And now it's been confirmed by Jeremy that the bug is fixed and due for the next build.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Explain to me what the people above were doing ?

I actually talked about the subject matter, not uninstall opinions and my computer experience but you start in on me. !@!

It was a sensible question deserves a answer.

lol

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol case closed Durge ;)

17. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you for everyone who is helping with this subject (ISI included, of course).
    We still have the problem.
    Of course, we have tested everything said in the thread.
    Thank you for the Multiplayer an the plr posted, and for every help given.
    At least we are learning many thinks (I don't know if useful or not :p).

I think we'll go back to build 218 until the next appear, because it's the safest way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Ok I will not bother any more about this topic since it is solved. However within the theories that caused the problem a potential updating problem was mentioned and the installing procedure as well. I will remind you when you go off topic as well. I saw that noel answers to the part of my post which is convenient for him.

Btw do you think dummies are comfortable editing files with notepad to setup several basic things as .plr controller or multiplayer files? Think about these people also for daily basis and provide an easy to setup game, dont be contradictory and think only in dummies in the moment of uninstalling.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You've quoted me there, and I wasn't talking to you at all. Spaskis went off on a tangent to suggest rF2 was abnormal in not uninstalling all files, acknowledged that he was changing to a different topic, hence what I said. Please leave my posts, directed at other people, out of yours.

I agree it's not a normal piece of software in this regard, but with its potential to change I can understand why ISI haven't gone to the effort of writing custom uninstall routines that might need complete rewriting later. Right now they're using a standard installer, which means a standard uninstaller, which means they probably don't have a quick option for deleting more stuff.

As for 'addons' etc, the entire player's folder in UserData is added on - it's not there when you install rFactor2, and although the game itself creates the PLR, multi.ini, etc etc, you are free (and in some cases perhaps forced) to customise it. Deleting that out from under the player's nose would be a bit harsh. Sure, someone who's gone to the trouble of customising those files perhaps should think to back them up before uninstalling, but by the same token they can do the uninstall, rename the old install folder (thus backing up all said files) and put them back in, or bring in the parts they need, after the new install. Same result, no extra work for ISI.

Many games give you the option of deleting user data when you uninstall them - the problem here is that user data includes the PLR etc, and because of the nature of rF2 development those files may contain old lines (or not contain new lines) that then play havoc with the game.

Back to the lag issue itself, shame it appears to be inherent and not dependent on particular settings, hopefully this week's update tests ok and we can get back to normality next week...

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

btw lag now only appears when people who come first time in the server, leave during race.
    When regular members leave, lag does not appear.

Maybe this is worth something to somebody.