4x Better Graphics and way more FPS Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Bart S, Jun 6, 2013.

1. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Thank you Bart S. It looks 10x better. The only thing I do that is different is Vsync on. I can't stand the tearing.

2. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

only thing I hate with V-Sync is the lag from controller to pic so I never turn on

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

You can really minimise tearing by ...
    Maximum Pre Rendered frames = 4
    Triple buffering = on
    Vertical Sync Tear Control = Adaptive
    Vertical Sync = off

If you insist on Vertical Sync on
    Vertical Sync = on
    Frame Rate Limiter = 58fps
    Triple buffering = on
    Vertical Sync Tear Control = Standard

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This all seems little complex :p I'm no pc expert. How can I go back to default if I make a mistake and don't remember my original settings in the inspector?

I think the game looked good without any tweaks in Nvidia inspector...didn't see any jaggies :S I'm using AA level 2 atm (config menu).

Would it make any difference to raise it to level 8? Is the X16 setting you have in inspector also AA level?

Any comparison video/photo with your tweaked Nvidia inspector settings compared to full settings set in game?

5. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

Thanks Bart! I'm new to rfactor2 and this really bumped the game up for me. FPS and Graphics on my tripple screen setup are really smooth now.

6. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Thank you Bart S!! I'm going to try that. :)

7. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

It works!! No more tearing and I get over 100 fps at Malaysia all track long. You are a genious! Thanks again.

8. Bart S

Bart S Member

TIG, just read the first post, your PC has the ability to show you top graphics at top speed, yet right now its gone to waste.
    If your concerned about screwing something up and your happy with the way your graphics look to you now then theres no reason to bother doing this.
    Yes you can just remove a game profile nV inspector from an application and it will be fine, it will use whats in rFactor setting.

I'm a busy guy, I'd really like to get you a video or some images but time is an issue, theres also much feedback here for anyone to make there mind up.

9. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Registered

Thanks Bart S this guide has helped a lot. One question though. Where should I have my settings adjusted to in my NVidia Control Panel?

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Is there any graphical difference atm if I would increase AA level from 2 to 8 in the config menu (other than fps drop :p) ?

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Pre rendered frames doesn't add input lag? I would have thought setting it to 0, or at the most 1, would be best for input lag, at the expense of possible stutters/tearing/frame-skips?...

Also what is SGSS? Sparse Grid Super Sampling, or something like that. Is it just Nvidia's name for the traditional supersampling which applies to the entire image, and doesn't need any other forms of AA added on top of it because it looks perfect but destroys frames? Or is it something else? I thought it was always just called supersampling, what's the adaptive sparse grid stuff about?...

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

I would go to your rfactor profile in nVidia Control Panel and reset all settings, nVidia Inspector controls the same variable but with a much finer control like an expert control panel.

No need to use nVidia Control Panel anymore after that.

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

It all depends on the card, if its got the grunt theres no harm in adding a few extra pre rendered frames to eliminate jumping and tearing, those settings where suggested for that user specific. He has a 60hz refresh so I'm helping him out with what I think works best for his case and he is still achieving 100fps. I used to be on 60hz and those settings work good for me. The input lag will be no greater without them, were just asking his machine to fill in the gaps and add smoothness, perhaps 2 prerendered frames is sufficient but 3-4 is smoother. He specifically didnt want tearing.

I dont suggest adding pre rendered frames for 120hz, you just make your card work harder for no benefit.

For antialiasing this is an old but great article that will explain all the different types. In this article Texture Transparency Anti-Aliasing AA is Sparse Grid Supersampling.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-performance,3065-19.html

14. Bart S

Bart S Member

Yes in certain areas of the scene you can see the difference greatly but in other areas it looks like its not improve at all that is because its not affecting those areas and that is where SGSS comes in.

15. Sankaracharya

Sankaracharya Registered

Hi Bart S:

When you have some time could you give some tips for NVidia 3d racing. You mentioned that you are into 3d in your first post. I like to know what you have to say about it. I'm on a GTX 660 - ASUS VG 278 3d Monitor capable of 144Hrtz, I find Rfactor 1 great in 3d. In Rfactor 2 the screen seems a bit too dark.
    I play 3d games extensively. Thanks.

16. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hi, do you have Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision 2, if its vision 1 the darkness could be through the lack of lightboost, I presume that monitor you have is 3D vision 2 capable with lightboost so again should be no problem. The GTX 660 is an ok card but if I compare it to my GTX780 I can imagine it suffering at pretty much half the performance if not more.
    On the tracks like Mills, Brianza and Silverstone my lowest FPS is around 50 but that is running with 2x Sparse Grid Super Sampling. With no AA transparency I can hit around 80-100 FPS. Other than turning up your lightboost I dont know what to recommend to brighten image, brightness, contrast and gamma may help in your nVidia control panel and also in your monitor options.

Personally I recommend around 70-80 on depth and then set your convergence with f5-f6 to where the dashboard is approximatley just infront of your screen.

I cant play rFactor without 3D now it looks just too flat. It gives me better perception of distance for braking and more confidence.

17. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

hi Bart is there any reason why going from 240-300builds halved my frame rates on my Titan (triple screen) now I have to scale settings back to keep up FPS to old levels when it was maxed in-game & pretty well maxed in NVidia settings with old build

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

I have the same problem, for me build 300 was a total step back, Its the GFX heavy tracks I notice the fps problems with. While many report better fps I'm a complete opposite, I try now to use just ISI AA level 3 and it looks nice in many respects but the aliasing on transparencys is just terrible still, I add my 2xSGSS to this and it makes it look better but the hit on performance is just terrible now. I believe it will be some AA bits to set to correct compatibility. I'm tied up with alot of other stuff right now, work, league practice etc, private projects so cant investigate.

Everytime ISI release a new build I look forward to seeing something new (progress) but for the last 3-4 months I've seen nothing impressive, more to the point the game looks like its in no better state than 6 months ago. I don't want to rant an moan which I quite easily can do about progress, I just look at the bright side and think great it still works and I can still race and they havn't broke it yet atleast.

I also want to add what good I did for ISI's image where graphics where a concern by many these settings helped keep optimism in the game. I've lost 15-20fps or there abouts on the heavy tracks since update 300 so must scale back myself as many others will have too.

I've also done online update from install from scratch, wipe all settings including registry stuff, go through 5 of the last nvidia drivers. Nothing has improved the fps as good as they where b240 with my SGSS settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  19. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

aaaah that sucks mate, im sorta happy now LOL misery loves company :D keep us posted anyway :)

20. breick

breick Registered

Does it work with low Config Settings??:

Win Xp
    2gb ram
    w7 32bits
    geforce 450 gts
    E7400@2,8ghz

Thx