4x Better Graphics and way more FPS Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Bart S, Jun 6, 2013.

1. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Since I was very young Ive been at least a 5-10 cup of coffee a day guy Im now 60 that's a long time drinking coffee so much so I had a raging caffine habit and didn't even know it , then about 6mths ago I decided to stop cold turkey , as a result I went through severe withdrawal symptoms for 2 wks , I couldn't believe the migraine headache than could not be treated that lasted 10 days , the muscle aches at night in bed were crazy the sweats were soaking , 6mths later I have not had a single cup of coffee and never will again , after how it effected my body I believe the stuff is poison , since stopping the difference in my sleep , my moods , my thinking , my energy have all improved greatly since ditching coffee , I now drink Rooibos African tea which is totally caffeine free .

A good test for heavy coffee drinkers , don't have any for 48hrs and see how you feel , you might be surprised how your body reacts .

2. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Thankyou for posting this is a great find and I will be sure to build what I can into this guide. However I do disagree with one of the points they make which is this...
    This is based entirely on the game in hand in most cases, I for one on countless occasions have read it should always be 2:1 AA:SGSS respectively, however everyone has a different opinion. This is also all talk about quality only there is no mention about speed of execution or rendering, theres no mention of the type of game which a driving game fast blur coming at you for example is much different from a slower scrolling shooter.
    CSAA is worth its weight in gold when it comes to rfactor2 it looks virtually the same at a much higher frame rate. I have played and played with the settings from track to track performing specific test. The best most comparative test is with telegraph poles + trees at Spa, you can easily make your mind up. Get a very fast car drive as fast as you can down the long straight before the hotel on the outside of the righthander, your measuring the clarity and detail of the telegraph poles vs distance. Now run the same test over all the AA and SGSS settings to see which turns out best aiming for both quality and fps.

Thanks again for this link tho it is very helpful.

4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I completely agree with you now. For a long time I went by this guys method of 4xMSAA and 4xSGSS and it does do the job for the most part. Then the other night after reading one of your posts I decided to try your recommended CSAA with SGSS and I was instantly blown away at how good rF2 finally looked! It's still pretty costly to use either way but it looks great. I still hope that ISI can figure out a less expensive way to get nice AA in game though, but seeing how its been in all ISI engines since rf1 I don't have much hope. I think it just has to do with the rendering method used by the game. Anyways thanks for this guide and all the work that went into testing all the settings. My rF2 now looks more beautiful than ever.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I never understood the point of Nvidia AA settings. Supersampling renders the entire screen no matter what, so if your game is old enough/GPU fast enough to make the plunge and use the all conquering supersampling, then why would u need to add other forms of AA (not to mention, inferior forms) on top of the supersampling?

When I use supersampling with AMD cards, where you have to choose either 1. Supersampling 2. Adaptive (transparency) or 3. Regular, the supersampling covers everything on screen including all the stuff that adaptive and regular cover as well, so why add even more adaptive and/or regular AA when the supersampling already has that covered plus even more??....

6. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Tried the settings without overclocking I was able to increase my settings, especially in road/car reflections and doubled my frame rates...

THANKYOU!!!

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

You have it wrong there Spinelli the only thing that is supersampled is transparent object textures not the full scene, I think on your amd is known as Adaptive transparency it is only applied where needed. Thats the supersampling we are talking about and its called sparse grid super sampling. I don't think anyone uses just plain old supersampling anymore as you say the full screen render as it was one of the first methods released to deal with jaggies, sparse grid is the same thing just more efficient, sparse as in only applied where needed. nVidia will never take the option out for plain supersampling why would they.
    In your second paragraph it sounds like your talking about enhancing the application settings or processing it twice, some people do it can improve visual quality depending on the type of scene.

8. Bart S

Bart S Member

Just a heads up guys the front page is fully updated now and should be a nice read for you, the setting I have defined I can't see how you would find better so give it a try now as a few things have changed definatley for the better.

Please post more comments and opinions and feedback

9. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Hey Bart thanks for doing this guide for us all very helpful..Im having a issue in inspector setting up the rf2 profile i follow your directions i click profiles scroll down to rfactor2.exe then i click add application to current profile i then browse to my rf2 install folder click on core then highlight rfactor2.exe then i hit apply changes,,after this i close out inspector and when i open it back up and click on the small little house nothing shows up no user created profiles or anything...any idea what im doing wrong that its not saving the created profile? at the very bottom of the page in inspector there is a link that says missing settings Names File - Repair now! not sure it has anything to do with it just thought id mention it,,any help would be great

10. Bart S

Bart S Member

If it doesn't look like or feel like a spam link click repair. I never had that so I cant say. It may be something to do with admin rights, are you administrator?

11. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Thanks for reply Bart,,i tried running as admin still doesn't seem to save the profile,But i created a new profile and that seems to have worked..as for the repair link at bottom of page not sure about that i did click it just to give it a try it gave some error..ok as im writing this i tried the link again and it updated or did something the link is gone anyhow and the profile i created is still there so should be all good now,,thanks again

12. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Bart, great you are helping people out like this. I am running a 770gtx and keep all rfactor settings on max with 2560x1440 and AA at setting 2 or 3 in-game with 8x supersampling in nvidia control panel. The game looks amazing like this so I tried your AA settings and kept everything else on max. The result was a 25% drop in FPS with a strangely cartoon like colour and texture. I know dropping out some reflections and so on was key for you, but I didnt expect such poor performance by changing AA options. Any idea? If you try your method vs in-game settings on new build do you get same result?

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

Rfactors In game has really bad jaggies no matter what you choose, its not 8x supersampling its just level 8, I think the difference here is your on a much higher resolution than most people. Hence its harder for your gfx to render the Antialiasing at my settings 1920 x 1080, with your resoulution I woulnt recommend any AA I cant imagine you need it.

Edit : I see what you mean now, with 8x supersampling and level 2 - 3 in game.
    If you do it that way you need to know what level 2 or 3 is before setting ss level.
    Ideally you want a 2:1 ratio AA:SS.

If you set the settings exactly like in the screenshot with override AA on I cant see why you lost frames unless you did enhance application. Cartoon like colour and texture may come from LOD settings. Make sure it is set like...

Texture filtering - Driver Controlled LOD bias = On

Texture filtering - LOD bias (DX) = +0.0000

I also have no idea how you managed to run 8xsupersampling that would kill my system, maybe 20fps

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  14. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

its set on level 2 now - i do see lines going off broken in the distance but thats ok dont need to look at those when driving. Ran level 8 when used 1920x1080 and jaggies were also very good, only really saw lines in distance. I was just shocked at how bad it looked texture wise after setting AA in-game to none and forcing in inspector. must have done something wrong.

15. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

maybe supersampling is not being activated??? its set in control panel, anyway to actually tell what is going on? thanks for your help

16. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

In order to get Nvinspector AA to work you can either over-ride applications settings or set it to enhance application settings. I would just set it to override. If you do then make sure that the rfactor2 configurator AA option is set to none. But you should probably re-read the first page of this thread to get a better understanding of exactly how to set up AA so that it works right.

17. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

ok, so i played around with setting AA to none in RF and use inspector to set AA. With some better results this time 2x sparce grid gave 15% or so better frames with negligible difference in looks, but more jaggies. Tried some more settings resulting in really bad jaggies or terrible tearing to the point that it looked like flickering.

Then, i set level 2 AA in-game again, AA set to application enhance and 8xSS. WOW, for me best combination to get great looks out of textures, and was same FPS as before 60-100 depending on track. at Longford the road looked real, cant wait to try more tracks.

For sure there are some good tips here - thanks

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok so I tried build 298 I cleared all my overrides in nv inspector setup, took natureboys suggestions 8xSS and 2xAA ingame and I have to agree framerate was definatley somewhat 10-20fps better and graphics looked really good. I liked the look at first yeah it looked sharp and no obvious jaggies the fps boost was great, but then I changed to silverstone where jaggies and shimmering are most obvious and the look to me was no good. Its also very obvious looking at the overhead barrier and lines on the track as your pulling out of the silverstone pit too many jaggies even with Transparency AA set to 1 in PLR. So I quickly switched back to my old setting and sure enough I could see my settings where way better altho at a cost of a few fps. I'm going for anything over 60, 70-80 avg is all you need imho an I'm happy with that.
    Tried build 300 last night and I couldn't achieve the same fps with natureboys suggested setup. I'm back to my regular setup Transparency AA set to 0 in PLR which is still visually best I have to include 1920 x 1080 as it might look different at higher resolution.

Theres something going on with 8xSupersampling in the nVidia control panel it should basically put your system to a stand still, I tried 4xSupersampling and that brought my system to its knees.

19. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

your settings did have better fps and did look good after I applied it correctly, what I ran before and still do also look/work well. I think you are right about 8xSS not working in the way it should, will try 4xSS and see (but with your AAoverride and 8xSS my fps havled, with rf setting its ok). Before I got the 770 and 2560 monitor, I was running a 660 and 1080p, set at level8 AA in game and 8xSS gave 50-80 FPS and looked great. Changing fro 2-4-8xSS looked better with small changes to FPS, so I just left it at 8 since. With this new build i think the relfection performance was gained by adding lower res reflections, they look crappy to me on full so I put to low and it looks nice again.

With double res 2560x1440 really does look twice as good as 1920x1080, only problem is the panel has 6ms GTG so on a very bumpy track with cretain cars the horzon moves way too much and it can be difficult to see brake markers. Still need to try real head motion plugin or just reduce head movement.

I am not running 3d obviously, wish i was, thats probably where your settting really shine. tried 3d with the 660 and it halved fps

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  20. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Hey Bart, Do we need to open Inspector each time we boot up to chose and apply our settings or is it done automatically... relative to the game you are playing?