4x Better Graphics and way more FPS Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Bart S, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

AA with AMD cards is god-awful.

2. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Definitely looks a lot better and I had everything maxed out ingame.

But for fps its just about the same or slightly less for me. Think mainly cause my nvidia control settings weren't that high before.
    But getting 60 to 100 frames. I'm happy enough with that, thanks for the settings.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Well guys I dunno about you but I think new build(228) and well I think I lost a few FPS.:(

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks for this one, I had completely missed this setting.
    Kind of makes you wonder why it is a player file option though, I guess it should really have been an rfConfig option...

5. Zenon

Zenon Registered

Setting AA Transparency to 0 also makes the trees look normal again on AMD cards.

6. Max

Max Registered

does it really? I did not think they looked wrong on my card, what is the difference? 6950- 13.6 driver

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

All i can say is that after days of experimenting i stuck with 4x sgssaa which offers best image quality and good performance on my gtx680, my second gtx680 is currently disabled for rf2 because it decreases performance and increases stuttering right now.

4x sgssaa, 16x af

http://img.techpowerup.org/130613/nvidia_20130614_013948.png

Ingame i have set everything to max, af and aa disabled, filtering set to billinear, shadows to high instead of max.

8. Rob Berry

Rob Berry Registered

Mine was great running 4x and Build 228 is better. Good 10-15 point boost on FPS, no stutter, running on ISR server today with 30+ guys and it ROCKS! Gawd it looks good, stunning and exciting and man I love this sim again. Thanks Bart big help for me.

9. Zenon

Zenon Registered

This one is with Transparency AA=0:
    [​IMG]

and this one with Transparency AA=1
    [​IMG]

Radeon HD 7770, drivers ver. 13.1. Perhaps a newer drivers release fixes this problem, I need to check.
    This effect was mostly noticeable on feels3's tracks, but I also found it on ISI's Spa, although visible to a lesser extent. I don;t know about other ISI's tracks for I try to stay away from them due to their unspeakable ugliness :)

EDIT: The latest drivers for my video card, the 13.4 package, have not changed anything in this respect and the trees still don't look good with AA Trasparency on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

for me ISI tracks look better with transparency aa 1, not tried with community tracks yet but I've read that 0 simply fixes the trees as in the example above. would be better for those track makers to fix I think, also I notice no change of fps between the two settings.

11. Zenon

Zenon Registered

It isn't only community trakcs. Look at the highlighted fragment of the pic below, it's 1960 Spa by ISI.

[​IMG]

And as far as I know, it isn't the modders' doing. A track may look good and exhibit no issues whatsoever in a given build, but then there comes an update and suddenly something is broken. ISI seem to be inconsistent in their approach to graphics and it is difficult to expect modders to check their tracks for issues every time an update is released. Especially that an already fixed thing may again get screwed up with another update.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

not raced at Spa do didn't see that, as for modders that's the risk they run when releasing content to an ever evolving game where the devs could break something.

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

I only turned transparency aa to 0 because I noticed jumpy behaviour on approaching trees at spa theres a point you see the tree and as you get closer the effect gets applied and all of a sudden it looks like a different tree. With my settings the tree looks consistent from the moment you see it to the moment you pass it and looks just fine.

Anyway please please lets keep this thread on subject and thats post your settings improvments suggestions gains etc. And unfortunatley its nVidia only, sorry boys but don't want the thread diluted with irrelivent info.

I will try maintain this thread for future builds/updates so people can always get the best results.

Hopefully looking at the results I get direct through nVidia inspector, tells me alot that ISI havn't optimised there AA applying technique hence we may get some remarkable frame rate gains and graphics in the future.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Is there a benefit applying above suggestions on an old 9800gt?

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Check the release notes of build 218:

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Transparency AA="0" turns the trees just horrible as it's also horrible the overall performance of this simulator when all maxed.

Unless something very shocking be made with graphics, I don't believe rF2 will be playable at maximum settings, a decent amount of visible cars and wheather conditions all together.

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey Niko, the least you can do is try, use ISI vram and cpu tools to see if your hitting the limit think its CTRL C and CTRL F ingame. You will need to know what the bars mean to analyse whether its benefical to you. On a 9800gt I would say a lot comes down to Vram, the least you can do is apply all other settings in nVidia inspector before messing with Antialiasing and Supersampling. It should take you 10-15 min to see if you have any benefit if not restore your old settings and delete nVidia Inspector.

18. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I don't know about you guys, but I must run with vsync ON.
    Although I get about 20+ fps without, I find the whole smoothness of the game is so much more noticable with it on.
    Input lag aside, it is the best option for me.
    Hopefully drivers and engine updates will make running with vsync on less of an impact on input lag.

19. lopsided

lopsided Registered

I absolutely had to use vsync when I was using an AMD card w/ rf2. When I upgraded and went with Nvidia I had no other issues. I saw that the pendulum was swinging towards Nvidia in the ISI forums so that motivated my choice. But I don't truly know if the improvement was Nv drivers vs. AMD drivers or the fact that it was a sizeable upgrade 6950 2gb to 670 4gb.

20. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I am using SLI GT 650M, and am happy with the performance.
    The screen tear is just noticable, even at 60+ fps with this game (all most games).
    I guess if I could ever get to 120Hz I could possibly avoid the problem, but I expect most games will eventually move to vsync on, or push enough frames to minimize screen tear.