Silverstone Development

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by C3PO, Jun 2, 2013.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Stonec... I really want to improve RF2 looks, but I haven't even begun to research how to work with/apply HDR Profiles. Do you have a good pointer around? Silverstone is a prime example where the colors are just off during the day.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Silverstone is technically the best virtual track I have ever seen. The location is a bit flat with wide open spaces (not the best for a good sense of speed) and that makes it a bit boring to drive, but that's not the fault of the creator. The track represents the appearance just before an F1 event. Everything is fresh painted and looks (to?) clean.
    The default hdr profile does not work for this location, because it makes the appearance even more flatter.
    Here are some screens with an modified hdr profile. A good adjusted white point gives the best result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

btw the detail on the grandstands is amazing. I would recommend to activate the freecam and do some sightseeing.

3. tjc

tjc Registered

:cool:

Is this profile released Tosch or a new one?

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

5. tjc

tjc Registered

6. stonec

stonec Registered

I played around with creating some profiles but for now the ones of Tosch are best in the business. I don't feel he gets the full attention he deserves though, profiles like this should be linked in the main page or included in the track downloads by default (especially since ISI hasn't bothered updating the old HDR profiles which look totally wrong on most tracks with build 342).

I also wonder if there is a technical reason why ISI doesn't use for example a better whitepoint value in the default profile. I presume this relates to rain/night conditions where it might look unnatural. But still the focus should be on getting a good result in daytime sunny conditions where 90% of racing happens.

7. Miro

Miro Registered

Agree, Silverstone from ISI is IMO a piece of art. I can't run in on my PC as I wish but when doing screens and just free-caming around it's amazing.

8. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Small gaps between the seats.

[​IMG]

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

user\settings\[track directory] or root rf2 directory if want to use for all tracks

12. fa3482

fa3482 Registered

Tosch, That looks Amazing man, beautiful! Downloading it now :)!! Got a tiny question and anyone could answer this if they know, whats that small icon on the top left for? what mod/plugin is that for? I have seen that on a lot of video/pics and dont know what it is. I did some googling but no luck :(. Sorry for my noob question.

O and ONE more question, what mod are those of the BMW and porsche?!?! been trying to get my hands on a GOOD Porsche GT car for a while but no luck :(.

Thanks everyone!!!!

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why do sim comparisons have to resort to pissing competitions?!

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi Fa3482. The AI icon is when you let the AI drive your own car... no mod. The Porsche is from the URD Endurance Mod (Payware) can be found in the third party vehicles forum. Right now it doesn't have a cockpit but will get one very soon.

Thanks Galaga for the HDR pointer. Obviously it makes a lot of difference on this track.

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Par for the course in a "comparison" vid imo...

I`d be surprised if it didn`t turn into a ******* competition.

:)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Like with rF1, we'll probably add some more over the years, but we want to try to license and use licenses as well. Unfortunately a lot of Europe seems to think the rest of the world doesn't have tracks, and set their fees accordingly.

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

That's not really a problem. Mont-Tremblant and Mosport are right there. ;P

18. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

I have to voice my concerns over this track...

It's the biggest performance hog on my machine, and I've got a lot of long tracks in my rFactor 2 install... Other tracks I can run high or full, Silverstone has to be on low with reflections off...

I'm hopeful that with the next update of the track we will not only see a performance upgrade within the tracks optimisation and the inclusion of the pre wing version of the track that is modelled but not fully completed...

Maybe if it's the wing that causes the issues it would be good to have the earlier incarnation so that those who can't handle the wings cost on performance, and those who don't like the new layout, can run on the classic Silverstone instead...

I appreciate the effort ISI puts into it's product, but I feel that Silverstone came out undercooked and could of benefited from more time in development before release...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  19. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

How is it compared to Loch Drummon and Symmons Plains?

20. fa3482

fa3482 Registered

GCCRacer Thank you So much for the reply, really appreciate it. Will look into URD, looks amazing!