Silverstone Development

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by C3PO, Jun 2, 2013.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

2. Zenon

Zenon Registered

Now that we have the Assetto Corsa version of the track we can attempt a comparison. ISI's looks like poo and offers pooish peerformance, thus it has been promptly uninstalled as an HDD space hog. Thank you :)

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You don't need to justify your purchase, Assetto will be very good when it's fully done.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Have fun hotlapping at Silverstone for the next half year. :D

5. shabo

shabo Registered

Im sure he will. So will I and several other thousand people. After racing their version i dont think any of ISI tracks even come close to the caliber of AC. ISI better step uptheir game or get left in the dust. Sadly ill stick to the ****ty version of silveratone. That isi did as i prefer to race humams and not alone. How dis AC manage to make an amazing realistic version of silverstone that gets me 70-80 fps but yet ISI even alone with no weather i barely manage 20. Please isi no more excuses. Just fix it already.

6. pas74

pas74 Registered

Please with this comparison!! Gt 5 made already awesome photorealistic tracks before kunos started to study the isi gmotor!!!! ..but it's still a simarcade joypad target..like yours..ac.. like pjcars...like forza....with thousands of hotlapping joypad players....

Rf2 is actually "the benchmark" hardcore simulator with an impressive phisics and ffb and all options you need to simulate the reality...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9500 con Tapatalk 2

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I really don't want to get into the comparison war, but I tried Silverstone today again - after a long while - because it fits the Endurance mod so nicely. And the performance stinks like hell. None of the Virtua_LM tracks look really much worse and run at double or triple the speed.

We need a Silverstone and a Spa Francorchamps to have any meaninful "big series" races in RF2... and we need them in acceptable performance. Heck, even the 2009 version in NFS Shift looks almost the same and gives a gazillion FPS.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for thinking of us. When the guys to their optimizations and finishing touches on the track they might find it helpful.

Those wanting to start a war, be aware that I'm not interested in playing peacemaker. Respect will be required by all of you. And a description of something being "pooish" shows little more maturity than my two year old. We know it's optimized, we've said it's optimized, we've said we're going to update the track. Obviously this free content might not perform very well on some systems in the meantime.

9. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hey Tim, sorry if my previous comment sounded harsh. It's just that the lack of high-profile European tracks in RF2 simple drives me nuts.

If RF2 was a "trackday sim" then I'd happily run all the 1.5 mile-long small stuff, but for that I'd want a proper trackday car (X-Bow, Caterham, Lotus...). But in the big picture I'm sure ISI wants RF2 to see major championship mods, and Silverstone is a very important location for those.

10. Zenon

Zenon Registered

Well, it was mature, or considerate at least, since I could have used the word "****ty" instead :). Luckily, there are people amongst modders who do not share your views on "optimisation" and "graphical representation" of racetracks. :)

@Tosch - oh, yes. I really did enjoy hotlapping at Silverstone. I've just done about 80 laps in a row and I had fun all the time. Which cannot be said of the ISI's Siverstone, since I haven't been able to force myself to do more than three laps running, both for performance and aesthetic reasons.

11. 88mphTim

Your comments in the release thread indicate you've never seen the full texture quality or graphical 'representation' of our Silverstone at all. It's likely our lack of optimization caused that, indeed.

Please be careful with your language in any case, your feedback in the release thread, though obviously negative, wasn't overly rude, and didn't need to be. Someone else releasing a title does not give you any right to change attitude and language used here.

12. 88mphTim

I know. It's worth a thought that when the guys tried to get it out for the British GP weekend, they didn't do the things they normally would have done prior to release. Whether that was a mistake? Probably. But the track will be revisited.

13. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

If you cant get 20fps going around Silverstone in rF2, good luck getting 70-80 fps with AC when it has AI, pitstops, dynamic roads, dynamic weather, racing at night etc cos you will need it.

14. jayblue

jayblue Registered

+1,

I get more FPS in RF2 with no AI at Silverstone than i am in Assetto Corsa in the same scenario, with both games set to their maximum settings. While the graphics in the replays look better in Assetto Corsa while i am driving i don't really think there is a great deal between the two titles.

15. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Running a 660Ti @ 720p and getting avg 110 FPS (I limit it to max 120 with most settings on Full) during practice sessions with 12 AI (getting greedy with AI will kill performance) at Silverstone. In a race it drops to around 70 fps at the start but averages about 90 or better.

The point is a 660Ti is fairly cheap and a previous gen GPU so the complaining about bad performance doesn't add up. You can't run rF2 on Full across the board with 24 AI at 1080p with a 5 series GPU with 1GB of memory. Nor could you do this with AC once it has AI which is months down the road.

FWIW - The AC tech demo on the same GPU with settings ramped up is around 120 FPS for one car and one track, no AI, no weather, no tire wear, no damage, and no real road.

16. shabo

shabo Registered

Complaining about performance. Heck yea i will i build computers for a living. when ive got an gtx 780 running at 1080 and 16 gigs of ram and the game installed on a ssd and.still cant.crank everything upon silverstone. My point is ill revist isi silverstone when,as tim has said, it gets optimised properly. As for every other track i have from isi or any 3rd.party, they all get me around 60-70 fps whenmaxed out and running inline ir off with a full field so i know the computer can handle anytbing OTHER than silverstone. i for one dont . like going from 60 fps in the oits to a slode show on the track. You can flame me all you please but overall. AC is a nice. GAME and will always be that. rfactor is an amazing SIM and will inly get better. But when i fire up AC i know what im getting into. If i had to.choose it would be rfactor without a doubt. Now if AC adds the features that isi has in the works already. I donttthink anyone would be plaging this sim as AC would be amazing. But competition in this industry is needed, it keeps all developers striving to raise the bar.

And im off my soapbox ;)

17. fa3482

fa3482 Registered

I might as well jump in huh Lol. I dont think silverstone is THAT badly optimized guys. I play it on 3 screens and it runs fine. I mostly do 20 AI's and only 13 of them showing up. The only thing not maxed out is my AA, which is set to 4. Also the game looks really nice, i will say certain times the graphics/lighting is real looking. Which is something i feel like other games are missing as an example AC ( Yes i have it ), but there is always room for improvements right guys :). SOME things, not all but some lol, i am looking forward to is more optimization, enhance the graphics even more, more filled up tracks with grass objects etc and some more GT cars ( Loving the C6). So keep working ISI and Modders we want more :).

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The biggest problem point for me right now are the last few turns before you pass "the Wing". I.e. those turns where you are looking AT the wing. It is the single most demanding object on the entire location.

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Me too. As much as I enjoy rF2, it's the lack of good modern tracks that stops me putting serious time into this game.

If and when modders bring us the likes of Hockenheim, Zolder, Spa, Monza, Brno, Portimao, etc.....then the game will really come alive for me.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

The artwork in Silverstone is at least as detailed as in AC in my view. The track uses very high-res textures which is the reason it's quite heavy on FPS. The problem is that very few people here manage to define why the graphics look poor, they just say "the graphics are poo" and blame the track artist. Whilst the real problem isn't in this end at all. Even with the best modelling, a track might look totally off reality, for example if the colors are wrong, which they are with the default rF2 HDR. With the default HDR profile, curbs have a somewhat pink color, whites look bleak, scenery seems to lack lighting and light isn't reflected much. With the track-specific HDR profile things improve, but how many users really investigate time in applying a specific HDR profile before running the track? This is the big problem that ISI should address. Anyway, these are all game engine issues and have nothing to do with this particular track.