Be able to use the car and track combo that I want to in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by rfuctor, May 29, 2013.

1. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

We need to be able to use any car and track combination in our online servers.

For example if want to have FISI Masters on Lime Rock Raceway, can't do it.

If somebody creates a new circuit, I can't use it with any other cars than specified in the mod.

This is increadibly limiting, unnecessary and frustrating, please sort it out.

2. Grubby

Grubby Registered

Can be done just create a new vmod, then use get mod function. Everyone with the track and car you have selected in your vmod will be able to join your server.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Grubby is right. But the problem is, then only the people who have those mods/tracks installed can join. It is impractical at the least. But if you make it mandatory for those in your group to have certain mods and tracks then creating a rfmod with those cars and tracks won't be an issue.

4. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I understand it's possible to mess around with mods and vmods but it's ridiculous that you must go through such a process.

Select car, select track. Play.

Is that too much to ask?

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

In a modable environment where there will be over 100 tracks, with different versions spread out across the web then I don't think it is just that simple. I would rather there be this check to avoid people racing on different tracks. This way every driver knows they are racing on the exact same track. It's probably a good cheat prevention process to.

6. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

It shouldn't ever be possible for there to be a track mismatch on server and client, that's basic stuff.

If there are over 100 tracks with different versions but they are wrapped up in 100 different mods, surely that just makes the whole thing even more complicated?

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Either way, it is still easier than RF1. With a mod manager to keep track of your mods. Just means every driver will be driving the same circuit as I said. Those that aren't used to a lot of file handling can install, update and uninstall a mod with just a few clicks. No messing around with where to put files.

8. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Sorry, I don't understand why this is needed to make sure all drivers are on the same circuit, there are far easier ways to ensure that.

Maybe I'm just stupid, I want to select car, select track, go.

I have a Canada GP track, can I host it with FISI Masters without messing around with mods, vmods etc? No, I have to go through a totally pointless process that could so easily be done automatically in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Exactly:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6021-In-game-Select-or-Drag-Drop-UI-for-Offline-racing

10. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that would be the idea, I might not of taken that into consideration when first posting the idea (see the date!) but essentially when Drag & Dropping it creates the Vmod ready for Online play, maybe an option to "Upload to Dedicated Server" or something.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I really don't see what all the fuss is over making vmods? It really isn't that hard. There are major benefits to it over the unregulated mess we had in rF1. In rF2 every version of a track gets a Submit ID and you will never have two entirely different tracks with the exact same name and now that Get Mod is fully implemented you will be able to join any server and the content will download automatically.

Stop asking for the unmanaged mess we had in rF1, the system in rF2 is here to stay.

All we really need is an improved MAS2. A simple list of your cars and tracks that you select from and it automatically creates a vmod and registers it with ISI.

They drastically improved the ModMgr, most likely because end users aren't as technical as admins. They probably put a lower priority on the MAS2 tool because they figure only admins will mess with it and you would think that most admins would be perfectly capable of using mas2, regardless of how bad the GUI is.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's the creating of vmods that's a mess, their initial workings are just fine.

unfortunately in this day and age of "want it done now" culture it's just too much for some people to comprehend. hence my idea about a better in game system to make it appeal more to the mass console brainwashed users! that and rf2 is going to appeal to a lot more fans than rf1 did, sometimes you need to drop logic and use basic ideas.

14. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

You haven't given one benefit of making a vmod. Why is a vmod necessary to have a track id that is essentially a hash? It's completely pointless and could be done automatically.

I'll say it again. Select track, select car, host. Unregulated mess or common sense?

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah, I suppose you are right, it could be automatic. But that can come with time. If they stopped working on the rest of the sim to add automatic vmod creation and registration into the dedicated server people would throw a fit. I personally think they need to focus on other areas first. Using MAS2 to build a vmod isn't that hard.

16. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

So I wanted to start a server with the new FISI (2012 F1 car) + Silverstone. Both official ISI released and yet I can't do it. It's a bit of a silly situation!

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You can do it, I just think that you don't want to, and want to make it an issue (when there isn't one) by stating that :)

18. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Please explain how I can do it?

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just like you host any other content.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Creating a vmod is in my opinion much easier than hosting a server online itself where you need to open ports and configure multiplayer.ini. It is not much harder that what it is being asked in the OP. The difference is that you need to use mas2.exe.

I agree it could be more user friendly and integrated in the tool itself but the result would be still a vmod which is necessary to specify which cars are allowed within the game.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2