Sorry ISI but someone must say it ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, May 25, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Well cars and tracks still need to be constructed in applicable 3D software. I don't see any issue why you couldn't build for both AC and rFactor2. Source files will be pretty much the same. Of course that is question of modders time and interest, I don't think I would have the time to work with both titles... unless they are very different and have their own appeal.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Presumably after you import models, textures and I assume sounds?(maybe internal sound production?) you are left with just the physics editing and car stats to do in-game. Which is admirable. No point in editing a text file with torque points as you still need to be in-game to see how it works. What would be nice is a system that allows you to edit the physics on a laptop while someone is driving the car in real-time.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

as continuation to what Zeus said, every title may be modded. game is nothing less nothing more than bunch of files. Point is to get access to data stored in files. Son, would be worry about freedom. However dedicated tools make modding just easier and faster additionaly protecting from making some class of mistakes, generating more quality data etc.

4. Jello

Jello Registered

That's a pretty good setup by the sound of it, would make modding somewhat easier for the newbie types :).

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Don't make the mistake of thinking this will influence the quality of the work tremendously. You still have to supply the tools with good material to work with. Although the workflow can be more straightforward and/forgiving, it is very likely that building a track up to AC standards isn't going to be less time consuming than building a track to rF2 standards.

The more (graphically) advanced out beloved sims get, the more is demanded from modders/trackbuilders, that is a simple consequence.

6. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

That's very true. No matter how 'easy' or well facilitated something is, when pushing the max ist always difficult

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We already have that in rF1.

It's not about having a lot of content, but about having a better simulation and this, better experience. Getting a lot of cars with no proper physics or tracks without proper features makes no sense in my opinion. I can just launch rF1 and I have them. When I launch rF2, the point for me is to have something better.

Also, too much options makes community spread thin. Give people fewer, but good options and they may find enjoyment they never thought was there.

So true.
    I see that often in our leagues. One year people simply enjoy racing without asking too many questions, next year they open mod files, look into numbers and start complaining before they even get into the car.

Once people get together on forums, exchange some information about racing cars and their physics, they start to be aware of flaws in previous generation of simulators.
    Their expectations rise, sometimes beyond what's possible with nowadays technology. They don't just want "next generation" of simulators, they want the "ultimate simulation" right now.

So yes, we are spoiled ;)

It's easier for me, since I'm a programmer. I just know we're not there yet with technology. We will have to wait for our "perfect sim" and enjoy what we have in the meantime. And I have to say it's definitely enjoyable. It's a good piece of software (in all cases, I'm not talking just rF2 here).

Progress already made by sim developers is still impressive for me. Creating a sim has evolved from just software development into scientific projects.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hoping to see much of that confusion subside over the coming few months.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Considering I have never seen you complain about one of the negative threads, only positive ones, I'm going to assume you are trying to stifle any positive opinion. That isn't exactly fair to anyone. The direction the thread has taken provides many areas of constructive criticism that are actually worth reading. You need to give all threads a chance to see where they end up, which is why I ignore many reports asking me to lock threads just because someone says something like you did.

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I'd hope to see the equivalent of "gold" by Christmas. For me this means gfx bugs ironed out, any instability issues resolved (if indeed there are any in SP or MP) and gfx quality brought up to the standards, at the very least, of the best of the rF1 mods (it cannot seriously be lower, can it). These are exciting times in the sim racing world and rF2 is way up there competing amongst the very best.

11. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Great Point, also the fact that a car can look completely fine in dev mode will look tottally different in the real game.... eg .... cube shaders the car has the nicest shine to it in dav mode looks like it just come out the show room ... get it in game and it's practically chrome ?????

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1. There is a law of diminishing returns, if you will, where more mods doesn't equal more enjoyment. Spreading the community thin is a big one. To be fair, everyone has favorite cars and tracks that they want in the sim and there is nothing wrong with that. However I personally hope that people are able to feel the sense of immersion that I do and also work on improving their driving/racing skills and understand how the combination of the more complex and accurate physics, dynamic road/weather/tire conditions and challenge of online racing keeps content fresh for me where I don't need a constant injection of new content to stay interested.

Imagine IRL weekend amateur races at the local track. You think those people ever get bored? They don't. They work on their cars and skills all week and test them at weekend races and then do it all over again.

I also have found that the more my skills improve and the more technical I get with driving and racing techniques that I often find myself being interested in cars and tracks that I previously wasn't.

I think we can learn from the Clio/Mills people who always have full servers b/c they are dedicated to their cars and have found an excellent track to master and they ate always pushing each other to improve online.

If anyone is guilty of having A dangerous combination of obsessive-compulsive tendencies and scientific curiosity it is me. I love checking out new cars and tracks as much as anyone, but their are downsides to having quantity over quality.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I did not complain and I understand you like the buttkissing; a topic(start) like this is totally useless.....many of these have come around and add nothing..

14. Johannes Rojola

I don't completely agree with this. I'd say that give people what ever you can imagine, and there will be that good stuff as well. Good rare stuff and loads of interesting crap are not mutually exclusive.

With this sort of restricted thinking, we would not have these:

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

More mods. I want even the bad ones.

16. 10speed

10speed Registered

I like Madcowie's stuff, especially dirt/offroad-racing regarded. But skiing? Honestly, rubbish. Car Ice Hockey? Doesn't work properly because the physics for the puck are wrong if you model it as a car, and if you model it as an obstacle its movement won't be calculated correctly. So again, waste. Very funny for a short time but that's it.

17. Spadge

Spadge Registered

So long as we have UPS trucks in time for our annual RACER Christmas bash, I'm good with whatever mods come out when they come out.

For me, at the moment, we have enough cars to be getting on with. There's pretty much something for everyone, whatever style of racing you like. More or less. Somebody is likely to complain that the sim doesn't come with Chimps on Tricycles out of the box.

What you need to remember is that when rFactor came out there were a few imaginary cars and a few imaginary tracks and no mods at all except for F3 and Birmingham, Alabama. You also need to remember that the competition at the time was Grand Prix Legends still, and Live For Speed.

I like to think that what we have signed up to is like a Kickstarter campaign, only rather than pledge money for something that may evaporate before we ever see it, we have sent a bit of cash and are being allowed to play it now.

The constant development putting modders off doesn't have to be the ruination of the whole thing though. We may need to see a more dedicated modding community, one that will not be content with just releasing something and walking away but rather one that releases something and looks after it. Release notes may have to include build number the mod was written for, the community may have to report back when a build update breaks a mod and the modders may have to rework their mod if they want to keep it going. For this to happen we may need ISI to adopt a more structured release pattern, say only release feature changing updates every quarter with bug fixes on an ad-hoc basis.

But is a closer community a bad thing?

18. Johannes Rojola

For you it might be crap, but what about those who like it? Should we take that enjoyment away from those who like it? That's what some community members are aiming for, less stuff and only "quality" content. Maybe we should start stop making F1, various GT mods and under 15 km asphalt circuits as I don't personally like them.

19. zenrael

zenrael Registered

I would pay good money to see this IRL.

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

How about the Mini they used to test the rear wheel steering? :)

[​IMG]