Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slo, May 22, 2013.

1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Without friction circle charts and lateral force vs. slip angle charts your comments are as "nonsense" or anyone elses. This point won't get through to you or anybody else arguing in the thread I know. It's just a "my opinion is better than yours" argument. ;)

On another note, I wonder why the ISI guys are still working on their tire model? :confused:

LOL.

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

So many egos round here think that their words everything, fanboy this and fanboy that, its all a joke. And so what if "many of them" are slow satangoss? dose there opinion not count then? carefull what you say, Fonismo will be on you for that kind of elitism, or may be not as you do agree with him.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Very cool how driver introductions are done with stop action.

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Can you show data that proves rf2 is running with realistic grip levels?.....can you also inform me if I need a high torque wheel and load cell pedal set?

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

This message is hidden because CdnRacer is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

Do yourself a favour and do the same, started using it last time he went off before getting banned, give him time and he will be banned once again, but at least this way you don't have to read his rubbish until that does happen.

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Actually, you do. Once you get used to that, everything less will feel like a plastic toy, no joke!
    (Going from servo to G27, first fast corner you take, you're like, what the hell, where has the ffb gone..)

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I just loaded up both rf2 and then GSC 2012, and the Marussia feels ordinary compared to the Formula Classic in GSC.
    Do you know if TMaster T500's handle rf2 well?

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Only have G27 experience with rF2 so can't comment on that. If needed to tell where the bottleneck for better FFB was, I can safely say it is definitely hardware related. Ideally you'd want the highest dynamic range of (constant) torque delivery available. There was a guy on racedepartment who has done some comparisons of the T500 and Fanatec CSW, they both scored much higher (I believe) compared to let's say a G27. No matter how good rF2's FFB code is, the cheaper wheels, or even more expensive ones like the T500 are physically just not able to provide the torque range and strength needed to simulate the FFB values it receives. Just watch some of Niels Heusinkvelds' videos and you can even see how dynamic the steering and FFB is :)

With proper torque levels and steering wheel setup, while all cars stay the same, there is so much difference in level of control it is not something you can put into words. Much, much closer to real life where you have to be carefull with thumbs and hands if you're going to crash into a wall, which does apply to servo wheels also. Just wish they were cheaper..

What I'm trying to say is, just because generally we have cheaper wheels, which provide way less feeling of control, doesn't mean ISI isn't doing a good job of setting up the cars. We just don't feel half of the stuff that is going on with that, even beside all the seat of the pants stuff we just don't have in static rigs. If they are going to end up changing things on cars in a way for us to feel more in our wheels, making the cars less realistic (weird camber and spring values for example) I am not sure that is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Still waiting Fonismo, please show me my elitist posts are lord almighty lmao. Thats right there is none, and the post you quoted i said i was crap and got better but not a lot. So what the hell you on about, or is this just another one of your stupid games. :rolleyes:

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Good and fair point but to counter you if i may. You mention Niels and yes he does have the Bodnar wheel, he also has problems with rF2 and the tyre model/FFB. All of Niels work i can always feel everything i need with regards to tyres, rear of car and in general just the feeling of grip as in tyres on the road and weight transfer. I'm not asking anybody to make the cars right by forcing stuff, i.e canned effects. I'm simply asking is it right? I'm not even saying if it's right or not, i am simply asking the question and saying i don't believe myself that cars like these behave like this in the slow stuff. Do the tyres need adjusting in sim to get that feel back that other rF2 cars seem to have.

12. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I generally agree on the GSC being the better F1 car, but also try and remember that the GSC car i think is modeled on a Mclaren and not a backmarker Marussia. I personally really like the GSC version and IMO it is the best simulated F1 car. But the Marussia is really great once warmed up.

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

For me t500 is great with rf2, theres lots of strength and all kinds of info coming through that wheel. If you know someone that has one see if you can go try for your self.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I'm not trying to contradict you in anyway, but the Marussia is just plain ordinary for me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3jszcd5jagwrokc/F1LR_mod_R07_v10.zip

Try this for RACE07, and tell me what you think of front end FFB.....

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sorry man, i stopped using Race07 and EVO about 4 years ago. Sim always had good FFB though, the rest was pretty meh

16. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

If AC kicksass and ever gets released I'll have to shout myself a better package.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Waiting for AC....I don't want to commit to a T500 if I find out that CSRe is the best wheel.....it probably is, but it's also hexy back here, $900+ just for the base and wheel.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think generally the openwheelers feel much better than the gt/roadcars in rF2 because of their rockhard suspension. All the nuance on the road/gt cars is lost in the mush that is transmitted by the G27 which I use. This results in a somehow disconnected feel and a less sense of speed somehow. I feel like I'm going 140 but when I look at the dash, only doing 50 or so.

Let's turn it around, with all the resources and partnerships ISI can into, I'd be very surprised if they don't get right, especially with the F2 and Marussia.

Who knows other sims might can some effects to increase the FFB despite of car setup and added control. I know with RFT2011 on rF1 and RealFeel, they gave the wheel a slight twitch when shifting up or down. Normally that is the stuff you do in a motion rig, but it felt awesome through the wheel, however that doesn't mean it is correct :)

edit:
    I promised myself this (G27) will be my last commercial wheel, despite of the qualities of AC or rF2, it just does the sims short in my opinion. When this breaks down I'm done with it. I'm too spoiled by using servo wheels at work and as I'm seeing a couple of guys working on lower cost servo projects I'll probably build my own in a year or two.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

don't believe myself that cars like these behave like this in the slow stuff.

If this specific cars behave like that in those specific situation i really don't know but the Steering Wheel feels wrong to me.

20. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Yea if cash is not an issue then the fanatec wheel set is the way to go, plus they look god damn sexy as hell.