Beta impressions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sofo, May 22, 2013.

1. Sofo

Sofo Registered

So i bought the beta. ISI doesn't advertise it like that as rFactor Central does, but i agree with the latter. It's version 2.18 by now.

They must have worked more than 7 years on this one, so i guess i expected it to look up to date. That is better than Simbins Race 7 and extentions. But the opposite seems to be the case. Cars look dull and lifeless like they had a matte paintjob, and environment doesn't really shine as well.
    That's how it is with the Clio. I tried an open wheeler, with the same or worse results.
    Guess i just wish some more eye candy.

My settings are mostly on high. I tried full, but it didn't do very much.
    The cars DO drive well, and the AI seem just about ok to me.
    Sound is very good i have too say, with a nice realistic roar from the engine.

Maybe it's just about waiting till the game is finished.

2. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Speaking of graphics. Turning on environment- and road reflections causes a big fps hit, without getting you any more eye candy to speak off. Things look just as lifeless with them on.

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

No word about physics?

4. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Just fired up Simbin's Race Injection to refresh my memory. Yes it looks better.
    The cars and the environment have noticeable reflections.
    The asfalt has skidmarks, a groove and shadows of the surroundings.
    Everything looks brighter and more alive.

ISI what have you been doing for more than 7 years?
    Physics engines, ffb and sounds don't make a game, or a sim as you will prefer.

I will play it, but first and foremost i will apply uipdates and see how things progresses. Maybe it will end up looking like a game from the current day. I do hope so, since ISI has done so well in the past.

5. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Think i mentioned that the car's handle well, and the AI is ok.
    I don't have any problem with it's physics, but even the very best physics don't make a game.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Graphics come somewhat secondary to physics in true simulators. Such as the red bull simulator. I race for pure competitive purposes and graphics never bothered me much since I don't have time to admire the views. Replays and watching league broadcasting races etc is of course another story, but it all comes secondary to me anyway.

7. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

I had the same issue with the cars' brightness when I first tried it. I think it's the HDR setting in the game's graphics options. When I turn it off, it makes the cars look like they've been covered in mud - they are that dull.

They are still not super bright and shiny with HDR on, but a lot better than before.

8. Sofo

Sofo Registered

I'm happy to say that cars in rFactor 2 don't have that darn understeer the do in Race Injection.
    Whether thats a sign of more realism i really dont know, since i'm not a race driver or engineer, and have never driven one of those beasts.

9. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at it.

10. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Yet another beta impressions post.:mad:

11. Sofo

Sofo Registered

It seems we have differenet preferences. I'm a 'softcore' or casual gamer. I'm satisfied if the car seems to feel and handle well, and the AI performs well, but i'm not ouvert critical. However i do take very much note of the surroundings and other cars, and i want to admire the cars during replays.

12. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Physics normal.
    I speak about graphics.
    I expected with most began that the graphics will look as in rFactor1.
    The big error of ISI to kill gmotor2.0 graphics. Gmotor2.0 was initially balanced perfectly, it was break in dx9. rFactor1 strongly differed in graphics for 2005 among racing simulators. The graphics has to be simple and functional. Today's situation strongly worsened, all balance of brightness of shaders and lighting was killed by HDR.
    I consider that it is necessary to balance at first lighting and space sense without HDR, and HDR has to correct graphic space slightly only.
    Return please all graphic spirit of lighting on gmotor2.0! ! !
    I specially prepared the raw screenshots of different simulators. I added only black white processings, they show all space which works.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    to be continued

13. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Well well, shoot me:p - i have to admit that i haven't read the tons of previous posts about the subject.

14. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

rFactor2
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

But it shouldn't in today computers, years ago when everything was done with just the cpu it was understandable not to waste resources on graphics, but today we should be able to do both
    A true simulation should simulate in both feel, sounds and looks in my opinion?

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

All big problem in HDR, is an eye simulator. On the monitor of it it isn't necessary to do. In front of the monitor the pupil of an eye and effect of illusion works.

Please, balance lighting without included HDR.
    I have no talent of Feels3 but I tried to adjust something without multiplication of a color HDR palette, at me it turns out nothing.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Download these two tracks: Croft and Poznan by feels3. They will show you how detailed and alive a track can look. No way Race Injection looks better than these.

18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

please, support my offer on lighting work without HDR. Now the graphics is absolutely not balanced, what problems was with multiwiev in rFactor1, there were no problems with lighting, there were only less which shadows didn't suffice for picture revival as a whole.
    Further:
    I don't understand the most difficult system of reflections for objects. It is necessary to turn a bottom inside out that that is necessary would turn out. It is too difficult. Reflections on the way остают from the car, reflection on the car with a low frequency of shots.
    I am sure that ISI made enormous work on graphics, but it empty, because result very much not the beautiful. For each track HDR need to regulate. What for? HDR is the final stage emphasizing all предесть pictures transferred to the monitor.
    I now passed to Cruden Racer Car Free Simulator, it is not optimized a graphic component of a simulator but works accurately as hours.
    I support you ISI, for many years I worked with your engine and achieved real working data of sports cars (the closed project for racers), but now we reject your new creation because of depressing graphically difficult system and absolutely not not optimized for the majority of workstations.
    Excuse if I offended you.

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I have them. To disconnect HDR and beauty vanishes.

20. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

It is interesting to me, support of my idea thought is or not. How to inform it to developers? The sense in a modeling isn't present, models of tracks and cars are made perfectly, aerobatics, but people who can understand your system of work of shaders and all the rest, no. Passed already a lot of time, and each time we hear that at you in plans. You had a vlikolepny platform, simple it is enough and ingenious, all that you could smoy hands destroyed. I remind, it still wash a view of the real situation. Each time at removal of a beautiful screenshot, it is necessary to try to discover a certain lighting, and after to finish in a photoshop. The simple and pure graphics doesn't demand it, only the idea of the artist how to put the camera there works what to show beauty of the object.
    Now, during the work on object it is required to regulate balance of the texture and to remove color that it would be pale that at the HDR installation it wouldn't look is oversaturated by the bright.
    Return please spirit of lighting and work of shaders of time of rFactor1, without connection of HDR.
    I can tell about the menu in game more many. But yet I won't be.