Build 218: Rain effects...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hedlund_90, May 21, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I was hoping that spray would be fixed in build 218, but it was not. Instead we got new raindrops. They look nice, but it's not even possible to drive in the rain as it is right now. Well, you can drive around alone, and that could be fun too (and it is much fun), but I want to race in the wet... The rain spray has been modified, that's for sure, and it looks better. But the shape is totally wrong. It's so wide that it cover up the whole track. We have been told to "pull out to the side and avoid the spray" to see, but that's not even possible.

I'm sure it will be fixed someday, but I expected it to be fixed as soon as possible. Adding good looking rain is unnecessary when we can't drive in the wet to see them. Therefor the spray should have been dealt with first. And honestly I don't know why it's so hard. We have seen modders succesfully tweak the spray so it looks so much better. Virtua_lm tracks for example, or woochoo's Longford 1967 track: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12090-Wather-spray?p=167450&viewfull=1#post167450
    New updates to all ISI tracks needed to have good looking rain spray??

Build 218, Portugal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Build 198, Sebring (by Virtua_LM)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trokolo

Trokolo Registered

+1, me too...

3. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes, i also expected a somewhat bigger improvement of rain spray, little disappointed. Still much to dense, nearly impossible to see through, even with those cars who shouldn't produce very much spray.

Spray in second last picture doesn't look to bad Hedlund.

4. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

================================================== ===
    Update 14 (Build 218) Changelog (May 20, 2013):
    ================================================== ===

KNOWN ISSUES ON RELEASE:
    ————————

- Wet Weather transparency issues, fixed in upcoming (short timeframe) build

5. TJones

TJones Registered

Ah thank's for informing LeChuck, missed this one. :rolleyes:

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You probably only needed to read the first section of the build notes from yesterday to answer your own questions. Although you don't seem to have any questions, just commentary, which I am not really sure what to do with... :(

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

You mean this?

I'm mainly talking about the shape of the spray. I think it's wrong, and woochoo did some tweaking that made it look better:

I had no questions actually, I tried to give constructive criticism, and if I failed, then I'm sorry :(

But now I have some questions... If the transparency of the spray will be changed, are ISI happy with the shape of it? If I understand this correctly, the values woochoo was talking about is in a track-related file, so it means all tracks has to be updated once again in order to change the shape of the waterspray? Or can it be done anyway?

But it's great that the transparency will be tweaked soon, actually I missed that, so thanks.

8. 88mphTim

Ah, I see. I don't think it's wrong, spray hangs in the air, and expands, it just becomes opaque as it does so, becoming moisture in the air and acting differently according to humidity, or as it becomes humidity. Don't underestimate how important proper settings for opacity are. :)

Currently I don't think he has the right spray for, example, a modern F1 car (or any modern car, which all tend to produce downforce, uplift and heavy spray. He actually even mentioned he tweaked it for a historic, as the track was based in that period. We'll probably tweak the historic spray for lower spray, and the newer tracks for more spray. As always, you have to work from a consistent base, THEN tweak, that is what we have been doing. You get the tech OK, then you can simply ask testers and opinion for more or less where appropriate.

Also remember that often in real life they do not race in conditions we simulate. If they did, you would see a lot of spray. It's easy to see the shape should be from wind tunnel data.

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I understand his tweaking was for historic cars, and modern cars and formulas will have much different spray. As an example, the 3rd image in my first post shows spray that could fit a modern openwheeler better than the brabham... it throws the water up higher in the air. But right now with build 218, the spray is as wide as the track is. Do you think it should be that wide?

[​IMG]

However, I'm sure it will look fantastic one day.

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

This has been repeated by many, myself included YET it doesn't sink in and probably wont. People are racing in monsoons and wondering why they are seeing what they are seeing. They just don't race in real life in those conditions.

11. 88mphTim

Yeah, I actually do think it should be that wide, I've seen it both on TV and in person. It varies track to track, climate to climate, etc. But I really don't rate the rain tires of the last few years, or the conditions we have seen F1 cars racing in, as examples of what a wet track really is like. Maybe our settings should stop at overcast and raining. :)

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Marvin Morgan, did you see the video I posted in my very first post? It doesn't even rain, only the asphalt is wet. And still the spray is huge and as wide as the whole track? The conditions are not worse than the conditions I drive in everyday in my car...

I'm not only talking about HEAVY RAIN and STORM. Spray looks the same in sunshine if there's small amount of water. And it's the spray I think look wrong.

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Okay. Well, we'll see how it looks in next build. I have nothing more to say ;)

14. Nils

Nils Registered

Just a stupid question:

Why is rainspray, or its shape and size, coming from tdf, track dependant? The current spray looks okay for a F1 car at 300 km/h, but on a clio with 100 km/h...? I know programming is not an easy job, but should rainspray not better relate to uplift, drag, or be connected to the slipstream sowehow?

15. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yes, I personally don't understand that either :) . First you get the basics working correctly (how the car defines the shape and amount of spray it will generate -- i.e. downforce), and THEN you fine-tune the tracks to make spray work fine for ALL cars. Sounds a bit more logical to me :) . I'm personally not a fan of hacking a feature in, and then having to undo the hacks when you make a fundamental code change to it, add some more hacks to tweak the original hack, ... that way it might LOOK like quick progress is being made, but it's not really progress at all.

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I truly understood? Spray works not from wheels and from a drying zone? Car cent... Speaking figuratively "A brush which scratches the drying channel".

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, so since we're again splitting into two different discussions with people probably disagreeing when they don't realise they're talking about different things...

Are we going to have separate 'tyre spray' and 'aero spray' in future?

Since cars generate some amount of aero force, which could be turned into a spray at a certain point (so a slow car doesn't produce 'spray' like in the above video), you would need to have the tyres generating their own spray of some sort based on their size and rotation (and/or some combination of parameters). Then we can drive an open wheeler and actually see spray coming from the front tyres like we should.

And can we eventually have tyre smoke coming from the part of the tyre generating the smoke? So a hard locked tyre that heats up massively and smokes, which is then allowed to start rotating, will for a short time have some smoke coming from the hot patch... as we see in real life.

Anyway, going off-topic now...

18. Dennis May

Dennis May Registered

Regarding the spray effects we all know its not right at the moment. But I am very confident ISI will get this right during development.

I await further developments and after the addition of a proper Nordschleife and a VLN Mod I want to have this kind of experience. At best with a Occulus RIFT and a community 24H event :)

19. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I agree. The moisture and very tiny droplets float down and spread across a larger area. The 3rd image by Hedlund looks unnatural to me. Too small. Compare to this:
    View attachment 7804
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope they implement that effect of the wind as well, because it can have a big influence on the direction of the "haze". That would be cool :cool:

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I just had a go with rai at palm beach. Enjoyed it. Its rather dense but I enjoyed having to go off line on the straight for good visibility. Also, felt really nice how the effect lessen then disappear in drying conditions.

Good work isi, just make it appear less dense but not so much as to make it easy. After all, in heavy rain, supra is insane.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD