Collisions in rF2 - Oh Dear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Wilde, May 9, 2013.

1. Scott Wilde

Scott Wilde Registered

Sorry guys to be critical here. You guys have done a great job with the visual part of rFactor 2 but I feel that far too much has been concentrated on that and not enough on the actual physics. The damage model is rubbish. We ran a winter series in a league I was running in and the damage model was so poor that if you got too close to another car it immediately launched you in the air even when you were still around 50cm away from actual contact. This then caused a huge amount of lag as loads of cars bounced off one another and everyone was virtually out before the end of the first corner. Is this really supposed to be a professional simulator? Because at the moment its not even close to rFactor 1. From what I hear from people I know things haven't really improved much in the new release either.

Visually: Fantastic

Physics Wise: Probably the worst simulator I've ever played (and I usually love your products)

Please assure me there will be some improvements in this regard soon.

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Hahahahahaa

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

By ''physics'' do you mean the damage collision, or the way the car handles?

If you're talking about the way the car handles as 'worst sim every played' then I would think you are loopy.

If you're talking about the damage collision (and damage overall) then I agree. Whatever they have tweaked in the last build(s) seems to have made collisions act very strange, but it is definitely different.

We ran an F2 race the other night, I ran out of fuel and someone pushed me over the line. He made contact at about 30km/hr, that sent me barrel rolling and somersaulting almost directly upward, whilst he was flown backwards and sideways barrel rolling and somersaulting vaulting over two walls (track and pit wall) ending up somewhere far off in the paddock. All from literally a little tap. So yes there is something very seriously wrong with the damage collision, or detection, and just damage itself.

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

This is a wind up right?

5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

lol now theres a first :)

6. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

One more unhappy with the collision model (I guess you're relating tho that, not to the damage model itself). Let's see if they put some priority on it in the next builds.

7. Bouillabaise

Bouillabaise Registered

Totally agree with Playlife. Please Isi do not touch to the physics, it's near to perfection. But the collisions ... [​IMG]

8. tjc

tjc Registered

I thought April fools was passed...

:p

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I started to laugh when I read the first sentences, before I understood that it was the collisions physics he meant...

Visually fantastic but terrible physics... sounds like the opposite to what I read here in the forums everyday :cool:

10. Domi

Domi Registered

It's quite surprising that after 1.5 years the collisions are so bad, lots of leagues and people are not using rF2 just because that reason alone.

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

But I agree that the collisions is ridiculous and has been as long as I can remember... I hope they do something about it soon. But at the same time I find them funny. I start to laugh rather than being upset about it...

12. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Someone that likes the Graphics more that the physics - WOW that doesn't happen often

13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I just had to laugh after reading the topic title :) Reminded me of Montoya :D

and about the collision, well, it clearly isn't right now, hope it will be better in the near future ;)

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

What a jump at the final of the video!

15. liebestod

liebestod Registered

He doesn't know the distinction between 'physics' and 'collision detection' that we normally make. He's right about the collision detection -- it's kind of terrible at the moment.

16. coops

coops Banned

heading of this thread needs to be change.

17. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

"Flying cars is nothing to do with collision model, its to do with physics handling, which is dealt with every build." - Tim Wheatley

18. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

Scot Wild, visit on our server and test collison model

mod: rFF1 Formula Master
    name: www rF2Live pl ~ F1 League

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

bump

:D
    [​IMG]

lopl

View attachment 11112

20. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

collisions in single player are the best Ive seen, but multi player is pretty bad. Kinda hard to make it look good when people have varying connections though.