Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

2. tjc

tjc Registered

:rolleyes: indeed...

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

We've already been over this, and the fact remains that some of the cars in GSC/Netkar are lousy, whereas NONE of the cars in rf2 are

:D chuckle....... pause.......wait for response.

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

When my T500 doesn't boot by itself like a bastard stupid cheap xing-ling wheel, it's really fun to drive. But I couldn't put it at 100% strength.

I did a 60 laps race with Formula Renault in Laguna Seca (very, very bumpy) and my arms were destroyed at the end of the race, I barely could raise my cup of beer.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I sometimes wonder what role people's love for a certain car IRL plays, if any, in overestimating the quality of a mod. For example, are they so obsessed with wanting to drive a car that they like that they want to believe that the car is good because they just can't accept that it isn't and maybe will never be?

Another thing that comes to mind is when people insist on driving historic cars on historic tracks and F1 cars on F1 tracks, etc. etc.

In contrast, I could not care less whether I like a car in real life, whether the livery matches real life or whether the track is what the car raced on or whether there is a full field or full set of tracks in championship, etc. etc.

OK I may have fibbed a little because I do get quite caught up in BTCC and love to run those courses when being run during the championship. :rolleyes:

I will also admit that, all things being equal, my favorite cars in real life are the historic Porsche prototypes.

However, if one of these is released in rF2 (come on Historix! The rF1 906 is my favorite rF1 mod next to 37 GP :p) but it does not drive better than the Spark F2 then I will not drive it. Period. And I will also criticize it.

Before everyone starts flaming me, this is just a theoretical curiosity and I am not saying that anyone is doing this. Also, I totally accept that the more realistic and the more you love a car IRL, etc., etc. the more enjoyable experience all things being equal etc. etc.

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah you need to re-evaluate your priorities. NO sim is worth sacrificing beer! :p Of course you could always get one of those beer hats.

Laguna Seca is simply not ready for prime time but if you grab a Spark F1 and set it up like a dunebuggie then it can be ridiculously fun. At one point I had 12 racers on my server. It was insane. I almost cried afterward, though, because I had turned off replay recording because of stuttering problems I was having with some other tracks :(

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ng-to-off-road-available-for-rf2-)?highlight=

7. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I got the CSW and I'm happy to say that it has much more power than I need. I used to run FFB car multiplier at 2.00 with my old GT3RS V2, but that's too high with the CSW. :D

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

LOL

9. osella

osella Registered

Here I have to say that I almost see red when I see people driving a 2010 car on a track that only existed until 1960, or even on a different layout that doesn't exist in the time car was made. I don't see a realism problem with driving F1 car on any modern track, whether it's silverstone or your local 300m long track becaus if one had enough money everything is possible. But driving a car newer than track would be travelling in time which is about the most unrealistic thing you can do in a sim IMO :)

10. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Don't see a problem with new cars on old tracks , it just a bit of what if that track still existed fun .
    Any way driving a F1 car on a any track is beyond the realms of realty for most people .

11. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

This is similar to the "the only real motorcyclist owns a "insert your bike here"" argument.

I would argue the true joy of this sim is the ability to tailor it to how YOU want to play and quite frankly who cares how other people want to enjoy THEIR sim. Now for online this could create issues but no one HAS to race in a class or on a track that they don't want.

You will all hate me apparently, but I like a mix of cars from different classes on any track in the vein of the multiclass lemans... Just my thing... I find all the cars lapping at approx the same speed, a little less exciting than the chaos of multiclass events. And the worst offender is that I run historic cars with modern cars on any track... Brabham vs. F1 vs Clio vs Megane... Again this is more for the personal enjoyement of multiclass racing that I enjoy from time to time...

I think that the very fact that you could run a modern f1 car on the old 66 14km spa is what seperates this from other games... What would that be like... What would the laptimes be... how does that compare to a clio in the game... Creating things that would be very cool to see but are not possible in real life due to the sheer insanity of racing those speeds on what are essentially... closed country roads that don't exist anymore.

Its the ability to make anyone happy that makes these types of games so special... I'm always confused why people are so concerned with how someone wants to enjoy the game that they paid for in their home , their way....

12. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

+1 well said

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

14. Jello

Jello Registered

Fishing are we? ;) lol

15. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

Very much agree with multiclass. I like some variation. It's often fun to be in a 'middle' class so that you can get lapped by higher class, but lap the lower class. Adds more than JUST hitting lines, and also kind of gets people more tuned to being safer in more situations.

16. Banger

Banger Registered

will there be a fixed for the bouncing cars, what seems to happen quite frequently now. if you bump a car. it front continues to bounce up/down.

nice on the btcc cars & Silverstone

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Quite big I guess. Look at the number of F1 mods for rF1. I don't think most of them are of decent quality.

But the other side of a coin is that people can sometimes criticize realistic car, because they do not understand it. I don't remember which year was it - 2011 perhaps, when you could see Hamilton struggling with his new McLaren all the time at beginning of season. Car was horrible to drive, sliding all the time. I don't suppose he had an option to complain about physics of simulator, because it was in reality ;)

For me, realistic car in a simulation is not something that behaves the way I expect - it's something that behaves like the real car it's supposed to mimic. And cars do differ in reality a lot.
    One of my colleagues is a champion of 2 series already, but when he participated in a Porsche Cup, he told us that car is difficult to drive and he wasn't as successful as in other series.

I can only imagine simracers complaining to ISI about Porsche being badly modeled if such thing happened to them :)

I usually first try to understand what's going on, before I criticize anything. The same goes for praising something.

Some people complain about C6, while I enjoy it a lot. Not because it's a Corvette, but because I can understand this car and it's balance - it makes perfect sense to me.
    And don't let my avatar fool you - I'm not some kind of Corvette fan. It's just an avatar - got an idea for it when I saw Dark Knight poster ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  18. tjc

tjc Registered

First off, every individual should be able to drive rf2 they way want to. As has been said, we all "tailor" this sim to the way we want for our own pleasure and that`s the way it should be...

Personally, I like to keep as much realism in my sim driving as possible so therefor I`m one of the ones that will only drive historic tracks with historic cars... it just doesn`t feel right to me to be driving a MR01 on the historic version of Belgium for example... this couldn`t happen in reality today (certainly not as the track was back then anyway) so, for me, I don`t do that.

Driving historic cars on modern tracks can be done imo, although I don`t really do it, as this can be done in reality today.

Now some may think I`m bonkers or, that the way I like to do it is a bit daft, well that`s up to me I suppose.

Fantasy content is another matter... it`s all fantasy anyway so there is no reality of any kind. Personally I don`t tent to do much fantasy stuff either, although there are some excellent fantasy tracks around that I very much enjoy.

Anyway, just my two cents...

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You must really hate my dunebuggy threat then LOL. I definitely won't tell you that I'm running x7 tire wear on 60s F1s then LOL.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

And especially when pass and get passed by same car b/c their class is faster in certain parts. I have had incredible fun trying to wrestle a 60s F1 car around a fairly twisty track against much better-suited F2s and vice versa. Pass and re-pass multiple times same car. Now THAT's a battle!