Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

probably a bit off topic but which is the VERY best FFB wheel on the market and could it be used with my exiting pedals(Hyperstim)..

2. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Ah, now i understand - crap. What an argument. So in other words, "i don't like the cars in rf2, I do like them in Race07". That seems to be about the depth of your argument.

Race07 is very basic and completely dumbed down even to rFactor1. The worst offender is the brakes, which are incredibly unsophisticated. You can create some weight transfer before entering a corner, brake, and most of the time the car will stay stable. That's almost contrary to real physics. You can brake hard and be aggressive into corners and Race07 will like you for it. There is too much grip in general. A flaw was discovered where massive negative cambers with a few other settings causes amazing controlling cars that turn in so much better than a setup based on reality. There are issues in most cars with spring and damper rates, the cars just bounce around stupidly on Monza as if the physics are broken (most long term fast racers seem to think they were). There are probably a few other things i don't like about 07, but i can't remember them.

The physics in 07 are dumbed down, fact. Fun? Yes, but not based on genuine physics like iracing, some rf1 mods, and rf2. What is your hardware setup like? Do you have triple screens or anything to help make it feel closer to real life?

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Had me confused as well. I THINK he means 'Open-Wheel'-er

4. tjc

tjc Registered

I was thinking the same Nimu... must be an "Aussie-ism" for open wheeler. :)

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

That is what I remember most of all XD
    Heading down the back straights, car just bobbing like its in 6 meter waves...

I also remember reading stuff about the "alien setups" in the simbin titles. Some of the super quick guys would be running springs and dampers at max, and were able to turn out insanely quick times, seemingly without any issue at all. Tyres fine, no overheating or massive degradation as you would expect. Pretty BS.

6. Jello

Jello Registered

Couldn't agree more Minibull. I race with some mates just about every Sunday using Race07 & compared to rF2 is does feel flat.

No tjc, I'm an aussie & never seen that before, think it's just he can't spell ;)

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right Jello... it must just be a "Chump-ism" then. :D

8. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Sorry this is a little off topic but wanted to make a quick update. I went back to setting spring and damper both to 0 and after a number of laps I was reminded as to why I changed it in the first place.
    I settled back on 95 spring and 92 damper, with FFB Multi to 1.24.
    I know this goes against all the FFB chatter but if you have a T500 give it a try and do twenty honest laps with it. I find the wheel feels more alive and consistent, i.e. more realistic IMO. Set to 0/0 there is too much weight on the wheel, almost like the front tires are semi flat.
    Tested at Portugal in the GT-R.
    Cheers! :D

9. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Attention rf2 FANBOY.
    I like these cars....

60F2
    60F3
    Megane
    Skippys

Most of these cars are easily some of the BEST SIM CARS EVER built, however, the modern owers are ordinary, ie, weird FFB deadzones, and silly spinning despite 5% throttle input.

As for RACE07, I judge a sim by how well it drives with my equipment, the physics and how closely lap times mimic reality aren't irrelevant, but they DON'T trump steering precision and FFB.....as such, the F3000 is a far superior sim car to any of the rf2 modern owers by that fundamental requirement.

If you're not experiencing my problems or don't notice it, that's not my problem.
    I wasn't warned that a Clubsport wheel and pedal set are needed to drive these "the way they're meant to be played".

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

U don't judge a sim by it's physics, but by how it drives on your equipment? That makes no sense. How would you judge RFactor 1 (or any pre-RFactor 2 ISI Gmotor based sim) every car can feel completely totally different depending on thousands (literally) of combinations of ffb settings, not to mention tons of different wheels and pedals. Do you say a sim car is crap, then you change ffb settings now all of a sudden the car is awesome, then you change ffb settings more, now the car is realistic, then you change the ffb more, now the car is totally arcade? No sorry, physics simulation of a car doesnt get better, worse, or change at all based on how a car's specific ffb settings happens to feel to you, its just your opinion of the ffb "feelings" but the physics dont change.

Race 07 (like GTR2) is fun but dumbed down compared to sims like RF1, GSC 2012 and IRacing (although I'm not the biggest fan of IR), let alone RFactor 2. The fact that you have some good combination of wheel and hundreds of tuned ffb settings doesnt change this.

Again, it's still really fun though.

11. Jello

Jello Registered

That's one for the Oxford dictionary to know about ;)

+1 Spinelli.

I have never seen anything about having to run a Clubsport wheel & pedal set for rF2:confused:. Like I posted earlier, I went through a setup from Racedepartment for the G25/G27 but for RRRE, then tweaked it, mostly turned down some of the FFB settings & rF2 feels great now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

We've already been over this, and the fact remains that some of the cars in rf2 are lousy, whereas NONE of the cars in GSC/Netkar are, plus most of the billions of simbin cars are also quite good, though some strike me as undercooked.

I don't want to drive a piece of mathematics represented by a digital object, I want the feel and car behaviour to reflect reality by and large, and funny FFB deadzones, funny pendulumy moments{probably the FFB dealing with deadzones} don't make for a "great" sim car.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9442-Formula-2-and-G27

Btw, here's a G27 complaint thread regarding one of rf2's worst offenders.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that's your opinion NOT fact.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Just cause people accept or tolerate something inferior, hardly qualifies it as being subjective, for example, I don't ever recall hearing anyone complain about the full time connectedness of the 60F2/F3, but there's ongoing complaints regarding the modern F2 and F3.5 from some on youtube and elsewhere.

15. ifrans

ifrans Registered

MarcG point is correct f2chump, you are giving your opinion and you are not being subjective. Please learn to write in I think it's like this or that and how you formed your opinion!, in stead of calling things a fact. Like you said SOME people have ongoing complaints, that means there are people who don't feel that way. Because you have some support from other people on how you view things doesn't make it a fact, it are just a few people who have the same opinion you do.

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1

Of course this works both ways.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Frans, you're just a rf2 fanboy no matter which forum you're on, so please, no more silly advice on how I conduct myself.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

19. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Yes F2Chump, I'm a fanboy if you mean that I like Rfactor2:) please take note I wasn't saying your opinion is wrong about rfactor2, you're very entitled to your opinion.
    The advice was purely on the way you communicate. You certainly don't have to use my (silly) advice.

20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Excellent advice!!!!!