Import GMT2 v2 for 3ds MAX

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

hmmmm but that is what i have been doing. i extracted rf1 gmts from .mas and placed in road, objects, etc. etc. folders then was trying to import into max. and i put textures in text folder just like you did remember? i was able to get a few folders working but road folder is one i have been having trouble with.

Edit - Just for the heck of it I have split the road file into 2 folders just to see if I can isolate problem file(s).

Wondering if I should try 3dsimed2 export because I never had problems with 3dsimed and maybe some shader magic will happen...

Edit #2 - OK I have more clues. What I did was move half of the files in the 'road' folder into a separate 'road2' folder and tried to import the 'road2' folder which worked so I then copied half of the remaining files in 'road' to a new 'road 3' directory, etc., etc. until I narrowed the problem down to 40 files. I then imported each of those files individually and was able to load them all but then realized that when I tried to zoom or pan a viewport nothing would happen and max locked up. So I started over importing files individually and in between files testing the ability to pan and zoom and saving the file so that when I reached the offender I would be able to continue where I left off if I could figure out what is wrong with the offender.

Of course the offender was never revealed as I was able to load all the files and still maintain control of the max program when done. :p

So I saved the file and then began loading the other road directories that I did not have a problem with a received a general error :(

Thus I wonder if it is a RAM issue and I may have to work on track in pieces but I got pulled away from computer before I could re-load and check but that is what I will do next and see if I am hitting a RAM constraint as that is all I can think of that would result in inconsistent lockups.

I will report back when I am able to test that and if that is the case then I suppose I can work on the track in chunks as long as I combine all the gmts and reconcile scene files.

I had no illusions that this was going to be an easy project but I didn't expect it to take weeks just to get a track into max :rolleyes:

I'm not giving up yet, but there is not much I can do if I can't get the track loaded to max...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

When 3dsMAX crash is because some GMT have problems... need to know the gmt and try to fix in 3dsimEDv2.

After import can open the log file "material_list.txt" in imported folder. Send me the file to see.

EDIT: can send the rf1 track link i try to import. Is this right?
    http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Transfagarasan

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

yeah that is the track (2.0 version)

here are 4 material list files from the road gmt directories that i split out.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/jjsh0jjoi5q8hsl/material_list.txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/r3y565ai63rcoj6/material_list(2).txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/gbvg4rzmn174bbw/material_list(3).txt
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/i3hywsjiayu9g82/material_list(4).txt

i notice they all have errors similar to this...

-----------------------------Material name: GRAS227_151
    Specular:120.0 150.0 130.0 M: false Power:2.0
    Shader(3) L2DIFFUSET0LERPT1XT2T3VERTEXALPHA: T1 lerp T2 mul T3 add T4 Vertex Alpha

Exception: -- Unknown property: "Coordinates" in undefined Mat: GRAS227_151 ShaderLevel: 3 TextureStage: 4 Shader:

please let me know if i can help. i can't help but wonder if it might be easier to export the whole track out from 3dsimed to rf1 since the export to rf2 worked without issue. also i don't know if it is possible to import the rf2 version that i exported from 3dsimed for the prealpha and reexport to rf1 and retain material swaps, etc. that i already did but i am not worried about redoing it in max but that alone could be worth the purchase price.

anyway i will defer to you regarding next steps. i was just thinking out loud.

Thanks again for all your help. :) :) :)

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

thanks for testing.

any thoughts regarding the material list errors in my previous post?

Thanks again.

also i have 6gb win7 64 bits

Edit - i'll look into how to fix these in 3dsimed. 20 days left on demo ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  6. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

try a clean import with new shaderlist. Import only TAxxxx.gmt and Txxxx.gmt files

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Tried taxxx and txxx only and new shader list but still crashed. Also tried looking at offending gmt in material list txt file in 3dsimedv2 but don't know how to fix. Material list txt filr is saying something about shader level 3 and I have noticed that several materials have missing textures at levels above 1 or 2 so maybe this is related to exceptions reported in material list txt file. Are you not getting exceptions in material list txt file? Or is that not the issue? Seems very specific and i would love to be able to fix those in 3dsimed like you were mentioning earlier just to see if that would help.

Now that I think about it I haven't tried just removing the related gmts from the import and seeing if that would help. I believe ther are about 40 exceptions.

Of course if you don't think this will help then probably pointless to test that.

At this point it may be best to reach out to some friends and see what they are doing or if they can send me .max file (i am on 2011) or something else i don't know.

Maybe I'll sleep on it and see if something comes to mind...

8. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Is very strange the your MAX crash.

I finish import all and send the max file .

EDIT:

I found a issue: The Material "GRAS230" (object ta39.gmt) don't have DirectX9 shader settings.

By default when import to rf2 plugins the script use Dx9 settings for better quality ( L2xxxxx names). So this material is set to t1 and don't have textures.

I need to add some dx9 checking and if not exist add Dx8

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  9. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Hello. Please see the following .pdf with documentation of dev mode import error, analysis and questions. Thanks :)

View attachment 12254

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

This error is because the gmt file not exist or gmt is not rf2 version.

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Do you have the trace logging active? This outputs a logfile (trace.txt) in which you can find a clue most of the times you are experiencing crashes. If you have done a new export of the mesh using the rF2 exporter I don't see how it can go wrong other than what Mario is saying, an entry in the scn file which can't find the GMT it is looking for.

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Thanks for your replies. Please see this --> View attachment 12267

Also, how do you active trace logging?

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The asset tracking you are looking at isn't showing any texture or texture path, so I'm assuming gMotor materials aren't shown in there, sadly.
    It is not a problem if an object has multiple materials at all, but it will be if it can not find the texture it is referencing at. I'd choose an object with a simple shader
    which only uses 1 texture to test and see if that exports well. If that does, you can simply work your way up.

About the trace log, see this post and apply this to the settings in the devmode tab of the launcher.

14. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

‘illegal tex map size’ is because DDS files use dimension expressed in powers of two. (4, 8,16,32,64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 and 4096)
    Examples: 1024x512; 256x128..

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK thanks guys. I will perform process of elimination and then go from there. Thanks again :)

16. sti228

sti228 Registered

Hi. I hear people use this script called gmt importer for 3ds max for export tracks from rF to 3DS Max. Problem is that i have Windows 64 bit version. I hear, that people somehow install 3ds MAX 2010 32 bit in 64 bit version of windows. How i can do this ? And can someone give me what files i need for this ?

17. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

You can install all 32bits software in windows 64bits. Windows 7 64 can run both, 32bit and 64bits programs.

18. sti228

sti228 Registered

Thank you :) I install it.

19. rFPlanet

rFPlanet Registered

Where I could download rF2 GMT Importer for 3ds Max?

Morais said that it is rF1 gmt importer

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

There is not an rf2 importer for max

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk