Import GMT2 v2 for 3ds MAX

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK. During GMT import, I got repeated error "shader l2diffuset0 not found". i went ahead and just held the enter key to bypass this error which took about an hour and mesh looks weird as expected. I have coresharders.mas in hardwaresharers directory. i googled this and i don't appear to be the only person who has run into this but there was not a clear resolution to be found. please advise. many thanks in advance.

edit - actually it says no shaders loaded before that. i'm stuck and none of the answers i have found work so please advise. again, many thanks in advance.

also i saw this from tuttle so it looks like i don't even have gmotormaterial available but of course i have no idea what i am doing but something is definitely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

1- First you need to install rfactor2 ISI plugins (just copy files to plugins folder of max). In first time you create a Gmotormaterial you need to setup the shaders folder. Set to rfactor2/core/shared
    2- Remove Coreshaders.mas not needed.

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Thanks. Here is an update. I have material editor in compact mode. I have removed coreshaderd.mas from hardwareshaders. I selected GMT and choose to reset mas file location. I restarted max, selected gmt and when asked, pointed to core\shared. I started import gmtv2 script and left texture path default as moddev\essington because i did not know what this is for unless it is important to define eventual export location. I selected don't ask for missing textures. I selected import from directory and selected TN_TD_GMT which is where I exported the RF1 GMTS from 3dsimed. Import process locked up at 1319 / 4119.

Ended Max process via Win 7 task manager. Re-started Max and left 'ask for missing textures' selected. Set texture path to moddev\locations\mountainsprint\assets\gmt. Received 'please find Crono.dds' window and selected 'cancel'. Then same for 'cronoled.dds', 'cronoledred.dds' (4 or 5 times) then crash at 872 / 4119.

Killed and re-started Max and did the same (note that the TD_TN_GMT folder that I am pointing to is a single directory and not structured in any way with a parent driectory or any other files. I just pulled track into 3dsimed and exported mesh and textures to a single new folder that I created), but this time instead of canceling, I substituted (from rF1 GMT folder) .dds files, such as crono00.dds when it asked for crono.dds, etc. and no idea how Max knew this but it defaulted the directory for target image file list to modev\locations\tn_td\assets\gmt so I left it as that and selected crono00.ifl for the list file and selected open and OK. I did the samed for cronoled and cronoredled (several times), flashx (several times and took forever to ask and max was being reported as 'not responding but I decided to wait until it totally crashed and that turned out to be a good decision), baliza.dds, and now it is on roada733 and 'not responding' so i am going to give it time and monitor it so stand by and I will provide an update once it decides to move on or crash...

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

"texture path" is the texture folder!
    from rfactor1 you have MAS files, extract this MAS to folders.
    Example;
    GMT.MAS and TEXT.MAS
    Extract to GMT folder and TEXT folder.

When import set "texture path" to TEXT folder.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK, application fully crashed at 2939 / 4119. Any ideas?

Edit - hang on i just saw your response above so let me address that first and I will get back with you. Thanks! :)

Edit #2 - Not sure if this is OK, but i have rf1 GMT and textures in same folder so I selected that folder for texture path and also for import directory and it is running now. Stand by for result...

Edit #3 - Not sure what happened but took forever to load 27 / 4119 but I decided to let it run until max totally crashed. AFK for a few minutes but when i came back, it showed 4119 / 4119 and a garbage collection error was on screen and there is an obj error - - in lower left hand corner of screen and there is nowhere i can click without bell sound and there is a window hidden by material editor window that says ...exalpha!!! and has several ta*.gmt files listed but i cannot see full window and there is a 'saving...' message just to the right of the 'obj error --' message just below 'none selected' looks like a status bar but still can't click anywhere. According to win 7 task manager, max is not locked up and there appears to be some hard drive activity albeit not much so I am going to let it run until it crashes fully in case it is actually writing files. Stay tuned...

Edit #4 - Decided to kill max and when only when i did tell win 7 task manager to kill it did it say program is no longer responding :p. So now, it is loading and has gotten further to 219 / 4119 without slowing down so hopefully with enough tries 'stuff' will 'stick' and load will make it all the way through. darnit, i wish i would have seen what happened before it locked up the last time so i will watch more closely this time. I will moved the material editor over so it is not obscuring the maxscript listener window in case there are clues from it's messages. So now the load is still in 219 / 4119 (roada468), so i will monitor and report back when something changes....

Edit #5 - Max crashed again so why not just try again since i am getting different result every time? :p Maybe i'll get lucky? :) Now getting further and I am monitoring closely. Not sure if it means anything but i did notice that material editor button next to material name says 'standard' and not 'gmt' but that could be expected but just wanted to note it so I don't forget in case it ends up being relevant. Dwelling on 2071 ; roada1527...

weird material editor then went gray and then there was a error type beep and then material editor and maxscript listener are blank but i noticed material editor title is grass384_55 so not sure if that is what it was before but could theoretically have been because roada1527 is an object and grass 384_55 is a material??? also it is still on 2071 / 4119. i'll let it keep running...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  6. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK. Change of plans. Overwhelming feedback from modding experts is that I need to start with a smaller track so I am going to discontinue trying to get this track into Max. I believe I may also begin with a scratch-made track instead of a conversion.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and I may still need help for the eventual large track conversion.

I am of course still going to benefit from the other tools. :)

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Strange.. Can send me one GMT and textures to do some test? send to mmoraisdois@gmail.com

8. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Hi Mario!

I am interested in the import script to ease my painting works for car/helmet/driver suit skins. What do I need to do to get a registered version of your script?

Greez Rob

9. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The Import script is only available to register users (donators) of SpineTrackmaker/ImporttGEO scripts.

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Quick question. Any ideas what would cause this?

[​IMG]

Edit - The above resulted from attempting to import the following directory...

[stand by for files as they are uploading now]

Here is what track looks like in perspective viewport:

[​IMG]

Mario, you have already been able to load this per your IM to me (thanks, by the way, as your advice regarding organizing GMT files into separate folders has enabled me to successfully import several of the object GMT types) so you already have the files in question but I will upload anyway in case helpful.

Also, as a general question, other tracks that I have imported have had 'shader issues', for example, they have something other than T1 and the associated textures have a red indicator and have no bitmaps associated. What I have been doing with some of these just for testing is to change to T1 shader so there is only one texture associated with it so I am wondering if there is something I should be doing to prevent this or if this indicates that I have a shader problem or if it is expected and I just need to change shader and then my question would be is there a way to automate changing all to T1 if that is the right thing to do, etc. etc.

In the meantime, I will now read this thread in case there is an answer herein. If so, then please disregard this as I will find the answer but I did want to document in case there is something specific to me that is not covered here. Many thanks in advance...

Edit #2 - I found the updated shader list for b382. My shader list had Oct date while b382 has Dec date so I have copied that to correct directory so will re-try import to see if that helps. Of course not sure how a new rF2 version would impact import of an rF1 file but why not update anyway and if fixes then I don't need to understand :p

Edit #3 - Nope, didn't fix it. Still same error. Any advice appreciated.

Edit #4 - I will also look at materials also to see if there are clues as to what is going on...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

How to fix when get " SHADER Not FOUND"..

If open the file "3ds Max 2010\Scripts\Startup\ImportGMT2v2\rf2Shaders_list.txt"
    we can see..

Code:
    93,L2DiffuseT0, T1
    03,L2BumpCMapAddAlphaReflectT0,Bump Cube Add Alpha Reflect T1
    07,L2BumpCmapSpecMapAddAlphaReflectT0,Bump Cube Specular Map Add Alpha Reflect T1
    08,L2BumpCmapSpecMapAddSpecularReflectT0,Bump Cube Specular Map Add Specular Reflect T1
    11,L2BumpSpecT0,Bump Map Specular T1
    12,L2BumpT0,Bump Map T1
    14,L2BumpT0lerpT1VertexAlpha,Bump Map T1 lerp T2 Vertex Alpha
    20,L2BumpSpecMapT0LerpT1VertexAlpha,Bump Specular Map T0 Lerp T1 Vertex Alpha 
    22,L2BumpSpecMapT0,Bump Specular Map T1
    The columns meaning
    MaxShaderID, ShaderName, Shader Description
    The MaxShaderID is the internal number of shader.
    ShaderName is the shader name of rFactor1 (GFX files).
    Shader Description is not important is only for a better information about shader.

The rf2Shaders_list.txt don't have all shaders. I add only commonly used in rf1.
    When import a GMT file and the ShaderName is not present in the list the script set first shader of list "93,L2DiffuseT0, T1".
    Add shader to list:
    we try to add
    "T1 add T2"
    First need to know the rFactor1 shader name and shader description.
    Can open the GFX file "DIFFUSE.GFX" in "3ds Max 2010\Scripts\Startup\ImportGMT2v2\coreshaders"
    after search the "T1 add T2" we get L2DiffuseT0T1. Aways use L2 shaders to get DX9 version.
    Another way to know the shader and description is using 3dSimed.

How to know the MaxShaderID:
    Open Material Editor and create a GmotorMaterial.
    Open MAXscript Listener (F11) and Enabled Macrorecorder.
    View attachment 12105
    (To see the pink area drag the bar down.)
    When change the Shader in Material editor to T1 add T2 in Listener we can see ..shaderSelect = 94

So the final line is
    94,L2DiffuseT0T1,T1 add T2

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Many thanks, Mario. I will implement when I get home and report back. :)

13. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK. Your instructions were perfect. Thanks!

For whatever reason, I did not even have specular.gfx in the \Scripts\Startup\ImportGMT2v2 directory so I grabbed it from the rF1 coreshaders.mas using the mas utility and placed it in the \Scripts\Startup\ImportGMT2v2 directory and added the line in rf2Shaders_list. txt as you said.

I re-ran the import script and it made it through all the objects without any error messages until the end when I received some kind of general application error from max and it asked me if i wanted to try to save the project and then said unable to or something like that and then told me the application will now close.

I tried it again and did not receive any errors and it said 'text file create' like others that imported successfully.

Unfortunately, still does not look right as evidenced by this screenshot:

[​IMG]

I guess 3dsimed has all the shaders and that is why I did not have problems with it?

Is there any advantage to loading the track to 3dsimed and back out to rF1 format before re-importing to Max?

Also, I used 3dsimed to batch rename materials for the pre-alpha Transfagarasan and I wonder if it would help to do that and export back to rF1 before bring back into max via GMT importer?

I think your tools may do this too and my 3dsimed demo period is expired though so I would need purchase so maybe not worth it.

I does make me wonder, though, when I hear others using 3dsimed and max together.

Anyway, thanks again for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  14. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I see "sphere particle t1" shader.. Think I need to check shaders numbers maybe ISI last build change shaders list.

If you have 3dsMAX working you don't need 3dsimED. You can do all in 3DSMAX.

Try my List
    View attachment 12117

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Tried with your list. No error until end where I got the general error followed by max will shut down. I only had time to try it once before I had to leave for work, though, so I will try again tonight. Thanks.

16. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK tried again with your list and completed without error but with same result as with my list. :(

17. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Just FYI, I have tried several other tracks in the meantime and can't get any of them to load. Looking forward to hearing what you find regarding the ISI shader changes.

18. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The gmt must come from original rf1 track of 3dsimEdv2.

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

ok so...

1) open rf1 track in 3dsimedv2
    2) export out of 3dsimedv2 as rf1 gmt
    3) import that rf1 gmt into 3dsmax

correct?

20. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

No

1- Extract GMT's from rf1 track MAS file
    2- Import that rf1 gmt in 3dMAX.
    (Is better organize gmt's by category folders. can use 3dSimEd only to identify the objects )

If need to change something before import do it in 3dsimEdv2 the v3 is buggy.