Corvette 1.41 Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You could just go to the dev corner now too see what's new since last build. But yes.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

2. 88mphTim

LOL. No you don't! EVERYTHING is on rFactor.net on the downloads page.

3. 88mphTim

Ok. Thanks. I find this so odd... I will try again.

4. 88mphTim

You really go there every day looking for an update? Every day? For what reason?

No, you go there whenever you feel like it. If that's daily? Yes. You can quickly and easily scroll down looking at the date listed on the components. You're talking about 10s max, even if done every day...

5. 88mphTim

The C6R 141 component has again been rechecked into the Web site. I downloaded it again using the link (green USA), and was able to verify and install...

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

. Well there's so many different components mods cars tracks etc that may be updated, and you don't know if you are using outdated stuff, so you're always finding yourself checking all the different versions of everything to make sure u aren't behind on anything. I've never been to the battlefield, left for dead, F.E.A.R, supreme commander, etc etc websites and forums in my life. I also have no interest in reading their forums and all their crap to search for updates, package updates etc. The only reason I do it for RF2 is because I have such a passion for racing and RF2. Not all people want to, or will be searching forums and threads and websites for updates. We need some sort of notification system, we are already halfway there as the launcher can verify wether the core build is up to date, but the same thing regarding the mods, cars, tracks etc is needed too.

Imagine if for all your first person shooter games (I have like 7 fps games on my pc) you have to manually check the websites to see if you have the latest version of all the different kinds of guns, grenades, vehicles, levels, etc. The games would be a mess, people would have different versions of game files due to not knowing that there are new versions of certain guns or rocket launchers available, levels, etc etc. available

That's pretty much how we are at the moment with RF2.

7. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I thought RF2 was still in beta? If so, we paid to beta test and this is a better beta than many I have been involved in. Sounds like once they have caught everything up it will be easier. I don't check the website, I see the announcements on the forum or on VirtualR. I may miss them by a day or two but I don't have any hassle of checking either. Just a suggestion

8. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes Spinelli, it´s a really good idea about a news update in the launcher window.
    Cost´s cant be a valid reason not to implement this feature, as a lot of small shareware tools took use, of a more or less comparable function.

But i don´t think we see this anytime soon. In my opinion, there are a lot of task´s that should be at a higher priority. First of all to finish the tirephysics (which is a mayor one), then graphics (nice screenshots sells), improved spray, raindrops on visor/windscreen, user interface, sound - reverb and so on.
    ISI should improve rF2 to a point, where we can say "rF2 is now a finished product, every feature implented works very well". So they can start to promote the software. Actually rF2 still makes an impressive work in progress.

Meanwhile we have to check for updates manually, couldn´t be such hard i think. :)

9. Neuro

Neuro Registered

Tried to download the Vette update. Still only the dropbox version works, all the others can not be installed with mentioned error before. Someone at ISI should really change those broken files. I hope I won't need to download the same thing 4 times next time lol.

10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

It's excellent idea to create a system which notifies end-users about updated content. I think it should be extended to non-ISI mods too (which is by the way more important because could imagine there's going to be lot more of those scattered all over the web). In my humble opinion there's no excuse to not implement this kind of feature as it should be quite easy to do. Over ten years ago I designed and implemented automatic updating system for one company's internal softwares which took only few working days. It checked if updates were available, compared to current content, informed users about required update, downloaded update file and finally did the whole update process and even started the app again for them. All users had to do was to read few lines of text and press one button once. :) It even had notifying system to inform users about forthcoming update so they could prepare for that. This is how it should be done as not all end users are geeks. Of course it was easier because had full control of internal software and only had private network to operate within. But now we're talking about only checking if updated content is available and inform users about it.

I'm sorry to say but forcing users to check themselves whether updates are available comparing version numbers from different lists and searching different forums and websites (I'm talking about mainly non-ISI content) is just nonsense. This is something which computers are made for and are superior over humans. :) My apologies of having so rude tone on this post but ISI really should try to see this issue from end-users point of view. BTW creating this news system would turn launcher "alive" so I think it would also increase the "attraction level" of rF2 if you know what I mean.

Don't want it to be implemented on next build but ISI to really consider of implementing this kind of stuff sometime in the future.

Thanks and sorry! :)

11. MJP

MJP Registered

Just downloaded again from the green USA link and file I got does now match the Dropbox and Atomic Gamer links and installs fine.

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

+1 KeiKei

13. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi KeiKei, my own programming experience is not nearly at the same level of yours, so i expected a longer development time. But it´s good to hear it´s not to ornate to implement.
    Interesting idea to include external mods too, maybe the modders can register informations about their mods and/or updates on a central database.
    Would be a big comfort plus and also suits well to a launcher system. I like the idea more and more. :)
    So it´s on ISI´s side to decide if and when, we don´t know which projects they work besides rF2.
    Thank´s for your very good post and no need to say sorry. :)

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh... good post KeiKei. :)

15. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I meant it should be technically easy but of course there would be lots of things to consider if and when external mods should also be within this notifying/updating system. I think that's the main challenge designing this kind of system (how to control who is allowed to publish updates, are they located at ISI's servers or scattered around web, etc.)

16. fastorro

fastorro Registered

Always crash for me

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes, something like this could be very handy :)

18. TJones

TJones Registered

@fastorro
    You mean the game crash, or the installation process fails?
    I used the "dropbox" link, deinstalled the older component (corvette 1.0), installed the new and it worked as expected.

@KeiKei
    Jeremy Miller postet some info earlier this year, about their future plans of the modding system. He wrote aboute they´re plans of a meta-file (torrent like) system for downloading mods right from rF2 (reverence post).
    If they´re able to realise it, than ISI need only to host a database for the infos about the updates and save a lot of server traffic. So the mod-system could go hand in hand with the info-system.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  19. 88mphTim

No, you're not. You're really not.

20. 88mphTim

I didn't say costs were. I said in relation to comparison with products that cost more, there is less money. Feel free to read again.

I also didn't say anything about his suggestion. Because its been suggested already. I'm not going to respond to debate something I've already passed on every time someone feels the need to suggest it again. He has to visit one page, scroll down, glance at the date. It takes less than 10 seconds. Putting a list in the launcher with info, would bring him to that page anyway. For now, I'm quite amazed its so difficult. :) there's far more important issues, like you say.