This "update" crap has got the be the stupidest idea ISI ever had

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 17, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I have 1.2TB of photos, my iTunes is approaching about the same (we don't have cable, it's cheaper to buy series we watch on there, and use Hulu, Netflix and antenna). And a lot of games these days are over 7GB fully installed. :) You don't need many of those for it to add up.

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

oh - i see - folks don't have a specific gaming computer? I have a mac book pro for after hours work / music / media :) Work stuff is also mostly on servers at work as well (software projects etc...) I have another old desktop that is just for torrents of various kinds. I was thinking people were filling many TB with games :)

3. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Whilst my PC is not solely for gaming, i just looked and my Steam Folder alone is 381 GB........and that's only about a tenth of the games installed that i actually own on Steam...:)

4. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

OMG!!!! :) The big ones I have played in the past have all been MMO ... most recently WoW .... I deleted that shiz tho as I have no desire to play it anymore ... If I install all Steam games I own (which I don't) I would maybe eat 100GB of space ...

5. 88mphTim

I think XCOM alone was 12GB or something.

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

My company is going through a transition period (I worked contract for a small firm, now we've merged with two other firms and I'm payroll), so we don't have a server up yet, but when we do, I will have access to it from home as well. That being said, I still want to keep stuff on my machine in the event that I no longer work here, so I still have access to my materials when I want to update/modify my portfolio (all within the legal bounds, of course), so I will still be keeping a lot of stuff on my system. And, because I do work from home often enough, I need a computer to handle it, a Macbook (aside from the fact that I despise Apple products) simply wouldn't cut it for me for work stuff.

7. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I have 80 gigs allocated to Windows which I use solely for lite gaming... I think all of my data on my computers still amounts to less than 500 GBs. It's amazing you guys use so much space! :p

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What's funny is that I've been playing race07 since 2008, I've been in the rF2 beta from day 1. My rF2 install is already a lot bigger. The higher quality content of rF2 just takes up a lot more space. But with over 2.5tb of space its no big deal. Last I checked my Steam folder it was way over 150gb with the other games.

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I built a new computer only for rf2. 1TB HDD. So i have alot of space for content and mods. It's a bit strange how much money I invest only for rf2 (high spec computer, expensive fanatec stuff, oculus rift, i want a motion simulator too ...) compared to how much rf2 costs.

Regarding updates vs full mod. rf2 can handle both. Full packages and incremental updates to packages.
    But AFAIK it is not able to resolve dependencies by itself and download and install missing dependencies. Like you want to install CARXY V2.5 which is an update, which needs V2.4 and V2.3 to V2.0 which is a full package which maybe needs something else.

This is a complex problem and alot of brilliant developers and time was needed for the package managment systems you have in the linux distributions and probably for the microsoft updater and other OSes ...

So the way it is now is good i think. Full packages, maybe some incremental update packages follow. Then again full version.

10. schuee

schuee Registered

As in Iracing,its shows you all content that requires updates,then (user) checks the box or unchecks and picks the content they want to update,its not rocket science.
    If i dont want to drive the Skip Barber or Nissan ever as its not my thing,i dont bother to update them,simple.
    This was just an idea to make it easy for the users who struggle with the update process.
    I race in a leugue and spend 95% of the time racing our own mod,so either direction it goes its not going to effect me,it was just an idea.

11. 88mphTim

It's not as expensive as rocket science, either, but most certainly costs, as does any development. It's possible we will have something similar, but having iRacing expectation on some things misses one vital component. :)

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

12. schuee

schuee Registered

Lol,ok fair enough,cheers

13. Banger

Banger Registered

on my ssd , i usually backup files only.only got 4.16gb of 55.77gb left on it.lol

TIM ur not trying hard enough :) also try the stars wars game. that alone was 60gb for first installed then you got all thoose patches to download of steam:)

14. 88mphTim

I can't have bought that one... :)

15. Banger

Banger Registered

ok just rechecked that it 5gb installed, and 23 other collections to get. £103.for the lot :lol

16. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

I think you're all insane for filling over a TB... I've got about 240GB to work with for everything. My own development endeavours, my sim racing, my video games... :(

17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I feel insane with my 250GB of Games and 700GB of documents, need a doctor! ;)

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gate - 1981

"240GB of disk space should be enough for anybody.” - lemming77 - 2013

;)

18. 88mphTim

I have everything backed up with carbonite and the photos also are backed up on Blu-ray as data.

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I'm just trying to imagine Tim's hard drive...

View attachment 7417

That take a lot of space indeed ;)

20. osella

osella Registered

Well I have a 2TB drive which is already 60% full 2 months after buy, but I can say most data are not important; there is only 100-150GB of really important data for me I backup regularly. Any movie or music is worthless data not worth backing up for me because I can download a 20GB movie in few minutes (actually, copying that movie from my pc to hhdd homebox takes 4 times more than downloading from internetLol, as the hdd and cpu in homebox is really slow, ~2MB/s copying).
    Basically I can imagine living with a 250gb drive, but I'd have to recycle stuff every day, with a big hdd I just don't care