This "update" crap has got the be the stupidest idea ISI ever had

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 17, 2013.

1. kmw

kmw Registered

Thanks K Szczech, but it is not working for me. I made a small edit to a gdb file as a test, repacked the mas and dropped it in the installed folder (after I moved the original mas to a safe locaiton first). When I go into rF2, the circuit has disappeared :(
    I will keep trying though, I can't be a million miles away :)

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Yeah, mine is the same. I've tried without v-sync but it never looks or feels smooth.

I was hoping for optimisation with newer builds so that fps would improve.

3. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

This just says everything.

I am enjoying my awesome game, because it is simple. I can join any race, anywhere - assuming they know how to forward ports. I didn't indulge in rF1 - so I don't care for "the old days".

People get mad about the stupidest crap. Probably the best bang for my buck software I have ever purchased. $US40 and 2 years of play.

WD ISI. Had a great organised race last night. Being happy is cool. Try it.

4. kmw

kmw Registered

Twista & K Szczech, thanks for your help, I 've done it, now it begins to look a bit more hopeful. Now I can only hope that modders are kind enough to leave the AIW, gdb, veh etc type files non-encrypted for us offline racers to make the encessary adjustments.

Cheers :)

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Would you be so kind as to send me a pm with all the adjustments you find necessary with some custom tracks?

6. schuee

schuee Registered

As its still in development stage,have no issue with updates,but the tracking down of them,not knowing there are any etc is a pain,please adopt the Iracing method where i just start rfactor and it tells me updates are required,i check what i want start dloading and we are all on the same page

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There are hardly any "required" updates in rf2. It depends what you are driving and where.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

And as I said earlier, that choice is essential to the product... It has to have a manual element. We could force auto update but we have you click once to do it.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Updates that fix things or change cars- THOSE are updates and those don't bother me- obviously. Updates like those are just a part f sim racing. Every sim is like that and that's a good thing.

My rant in the OP is an "update" that changes a version number and nothing else.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Which happened once, and yes, it's annoying, but we felt it important enough to annoy you. Sorry, Guy. :)

11. Diablo

Diablo Registered

This is a matter of principle at least. For me it is not a very good solution to have full blown "copies" of files in the two or three figure MB size range which only differ in say 100 KB. And you picked a very specific example with "only" 60 MB.

12. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Well - i'll grant you matter of principle... but still - to fill your many terabytes of drive space it would take MANY more mods than we have at two copies each.

13. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Tim, Some people just don't know how to read. You certainly don't need to apologize. If people don't like what ISI are doing, they know where the door is. Another useless post by OP.

14. Diablo

Diablo Registered

You have to see the bigger picture. You only took the component being 60 MB as an example. What if one wants to changes more than one? What about bigger components? ...
    Just because one has huge disks doesn´t mean the space should be wasted. Plus there is other data that shall be stored there. Although I have more than 1.5 TB of HDD space, it is basically full. I am constantly juggling what to keep and what to trash or store away on external media.

15. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Sounds like time to pick up another drive then, problem solved.

16. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Another spending then? Hmm, let me have a look. No, not in the wallet and no more slots free ... :)

Just look at it from the numbers angle. Say I want to change a file of 100KB size and have to store those 60MB. That´s a ratio of 1 to 600 (!) of payload to overhead.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

I must agree with Diablo. There are other solutions, which are for sure something more productive, only what is necessary as an update for example. Is it a car should it be possible to replace or overwrite automatically what is really needed, include versions number update.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

IMO, there is a simple solution to all of this. It would be for everyone to download each new content together with the new build release (as ISI has done now with the sampler installer). Those who necessarily wants to download the rF2 lite version can then work out themselves what components to install.

19. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

what do people have on their 1.5 TB HDD that makes them full? I only have a 240 GB SSD ... it is less than half full ....

20. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Well, I have a two 1TB drives and two 320GB harddrives. I have all of my programs and my OS on one drive (which means all mod files are also on that drive, since the program/game is there, along with many GBs of programs that I need), I have all of my downloads on another drive, I have all of my media on another drive (movies, shows, music, etc) and I have all of my work and personal portfolio projects on another drive. I'm probably at about 2/3-3/4 full overall. And I have pretty much nothing downloaded for rF2, or really any games at this point, as I have had no time for it.

Just because you don't use half of your single small harddrive doesn't mean others won't. My computer isn't just a toy to play games with it, it's an essential part of my career (except the media stuff. That's personal. Mostly).