This "update" crap has got the be the stupidest idea ISI ever had

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 17, 2013.

1. kmw

kmw Registered

OK, thanks Twista, so can you confirm for me, (I am someone who is used to editing aiw, veh, gdb etc in rF1), will I be able to do the same in rF2?
    If it just means a bit of extra unpacking/packing then that's not so bad, I will learn how to do this.

That only leaves the encryption side, which I have no control over, but I just hope that most modders will understand that there are many like me who want to enjoy their tracks offline and need to be able to make these small updates.

2. Twista

Twista Registered

I'm not that well versed in the packaging system, so I can't confirm anything, but as far as I know you can fiddle around with MAS files fairly easy as long as they're not encrypted. I'm working on a mod of the standard ISI Clio Cup, changing the tire wall textures, and some other bits and pieces. Basically, you'll be creating a different component, so if you wanted to use the version you edited online, you'd have to share it with the others you intended to race with.

What the component system does is allow a lot more modularity in the sim, from what I can tell, whereas you used to have to have multiple rF Lite installs, you can now just have a single installation and pick and choose what you want at will, as well as cleanly uninstall and delete, or update components when you want.

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Emm, talking about stupid things, this is a stupid question (maybe), where i can get notice of updates? looks like is an update for Marussia?

4. Twista

Twista Registered

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

5. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

So going on this basis then as i understand it, if i would like my Clio's to have the new tyre wall textures that you have created i can either :

1 : Like 99% of any other pc games out there that have the abilty to be modded, download a 2mb texture file and overwrite the original texture myself or even as crazy as it sounds make a DATA folder in rFactor2 that you can put in a TEXTURE folder or SOUND folder or whatever and that folder takes precedence over the original ISI files when the game is loaded like the really cool PC games let you. Or even better, make the game folders JGME compatible or something similar.

or the current way :

2: Download an entire component file including all of the vehicle models that i already have etc for the same effect? That's unbelievably inefficient. I NEVER play online by the way, so i couldn't care less about Vmods mismatches or whatever.

I can happily mess around with the .mas files to include your tyre texture, but then what happens if an update for the Clio's comes out down the line? My Clio component file will not have the same signature as the original, do i then have to uninstall my .mas file to then re-install the last full Clio release to then update it ?

You could argue that i could just rename my modded Clio .mas files to something else so not overwriting the original, but then i'm using twice as much hard drive space for every mod i have got.

6. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

they are like 60MB or so ... how small is your harddrive?

7. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I currently have 5 in my PC

120 GB Vertex 3

240 GB Agility 3

2x Samsung F3 1 TB

1 x Samsung F2 500GB

being pedantic doesn't really make my point any less valid

8. osella

osella Registered

I assure you I have been complaining about vmods and rfmods since day 1 the beta came out, never changed opinion and never will. :)

Tim, could you please ban me from this forum for like 6 months so I don't annoy myself and people who don't agree with me? Maybe after 6 months I will be less frustrated, this is serious request lol

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Heheee Osella your so funny.
    Its a killer waiting for the next update to see if frustrations you have, have been rectified in the next build. I too have mine and each release the same problem persists and I feel like aaaarrrggghhh crash my car.

FIX OR IMPROVE MULTIVIEW FPS/PERFORMANCE PLEASE ISI, I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN ROBBED.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm currently on a 2 to 3 build break, think its the best thing to do sometimes, we all have a bit of impatience sometimes which can quickly turn into frustration etc

Did this once before (previously a 2 build break but going for 3 this time!) & it was nice to come back to check progress

Do hope the fps hit (on last build ) get sorted I won't go into other things at we're really really starting to bug me

Ok I'll mention the plug-in delay O-:

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, you can basically modify tracks that you have in your \Installed folder.
    The only difference is that everything is packed into .mas files, so you will work with mas tool to get files out and back into .mas archives.

12. kmw

kmw Registered

So far, that part I have done, now how do I turn it back into a component and/or package that can be installed ?

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I seriously agree on your last sentance. It is becomming less and less funny for me when it comes to framerate. I would welcome with open arms extra 20-30 fps. Really. Because with latest builds it really started to become a slideshow for me (and yeah many things are off and lowered in options. Even video sync is on to boost smoothness for me)

14. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

Turn off vsync if you´re having FPS issues. Don´t turn it on, if your FPS are below your vsync that doesn´t help.

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Without v-sync I have about the same amount of fps like with it but the picture is so much smoother when it's turned on. Without it, it feels a bit jumpy. Like it's jumping from frame to frame even when I get sth like 50 fps. With v-sync it feels smoother. It doesn't feel like slideshow anymore. Sure I would like to have this without v-sync on and some other visual features turned on but I can't afford it right now. Extra 30 fps would be more than welcome (or even more [oh pleaseee :p] but these 30 fps more would change my races from very fast slideshows into semi-smooth movies, which would put smile on my face)

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I thought the idea was to have it offline. In that case you can work only on \Installed folder and don't bother with making components.

However, if you're a bit more ambitious and want to make things the right way, you should actually create a "new mod", derived from original one or at least add new cars without modifying existing ones.

In case of cars, I'd suggest copying .veh and .gen file because this will allow your modified car to coexist with original cars. It will also allow you to add additional .mas file, without touching original mas files. Order of .mas files is determined by .gen file, so if you have your own .gen and .veh files you can add your own .mas file to the mix.

Then you create a multicomponent that contains your new .mas files with new stuff, and refers to components from original mod without actually containing them.

17. pitkin

pitkin Registered

So currently, if a mod is encrypted and I come across a simple mistake in that mod like an incorrectly spelt driver name, I wouldn't be able to correct it myself?
    One of the really good things in RF1 was the ability to tweak files easily to get the AI to perform how I liked. It was also cool to be able to swap drivers around if I fancied.

18. kmw

kmw Registered

Thanks for taking the time to answer - I think I am being stupid then - are you saying that if I only want to use the edited files offline, I can simply put the new mas straight back into the installed folder and race? If that's the case, then that's just what I need. I thought it would not work that way?

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Encrypted means that someone didn't want you to have access to it. It's his right.

I don't think modders will be encrypting their AIW files, though :) In case of driver names, it depends - physics will likely be in separate mas from teams, so you may find teams.mas unencrypted even if physics, textures and models are encrypted. But again, it depends on modder. If he's too overzealous with encrypting, you may not even know the name of file you wish to edit ;)

Yes, that's exactly what I did and it worked for me.
    I hope it will work for you, but I may have forgotten something - it was a long time ago :)

And by the way - not knowing something and asking questions is never stupid :) None of us was born with knowledge. The only thing that's stupid is ignoring answers :)
    Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  20. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

you have that much drive space and you are worried about having to have two copies of some 60MB file?