This "update" crap has got the be the stupidest idea ISI ever had

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

this is a rant. I completely and totally blame ISI for making one bad decision after another. Clueless.

So they "update" a bunch of content JUST TO CHANGE THE GODDAMNED VERSION NUMBER so that the content can't work with earlier rfmods. This is a nightmare and exactly an example of why this rfmod BS is such a bad idea. And they are not compatible with earlier versions so it's not like I can have both versions installed (at least it isn't working for me) so I either can use earlier rfmods (and the servers running them) OR I can use the new version and only use newer rfmods. and why? To change the $%^&ing number.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

changeover? Can you explain what has changed? Oh- a number. This is not an update.

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Ease up. They had mentioned what they were doing so you either misunderstood or didn't read it. What's the big deal, just install what you need as opposed to installing everything that is ever released.

4. simracer

simracer Banned

thats because stupid people
    come up with stupid ideas

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Sorry , I deleted my post when I re-read yours and noticed it started with 'this is a rant' :)

6. coops

coops Banned

+1

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We only said the number changing was for one track, Lime Rock. Other updates, have been updates and/or new component releases AFAIK. Edit: Though I haven't been able to keep up with internal stuff lately.

Rant warning or not, censoring with symbols or not, be careful how you post in the future. You can say what you need to say without it, and you will do in future. Thanks.

8. Thor

Thor Registered

+1

9. Radar

Radar Registered

+1 on what Playlife wrote.. It was mentioned and although I do understand your frustrations, it has been mentioned in the forums especially when 1.41 of LR was released.

10. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

I think there's lessons to be learned from the LRP update about how things can get confused. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to get confused about whether the same updates went to other items.

I think that ISI have learned more about their own content system too, just as the mod community is. Specifically, how ISI's content has started moving to individual components, rather than collections as they were on day 1. And currently, we have a bit of a mash up of both as this converges across everything.

11. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Why do people make simple things complicated, and then allow themselves to get upset, over that very fact?

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Haha, exactly.

Excessive criticism is often caused by lack of understanding.

I had it quite often, when running a league. For example - I've created some rule to make racing more fun. Before the race many people kept criticizing it, even saying that I'm trying to setup the race. They followed this rule during the race and afterwards, everyone agreed that it was a good decision that improved racing.

13. Pits

Pits Registered

I look at my 3 screen slide show and I'm so depressed, now that was a rant beit it short of duration, funny thing is I understand why it's still a slideshow, so you can get informed frustrations as well or I think in his case "the one that broke his back", I'm sure there is a whole gamut of these frustrations. But you are right of course

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We were not referring to actual problems, but those that people create in their heads :)

15. osella

osella Registered

Alright, guess I'm crazy then and it's all my head but I can't help it - so far nobody was able to convince me that the whole rf2 mod system is any better than rf1 "download, unpack and copy manually" system. I only see disadvantages for me.

There were mismatches when trying to join public race, so what, it's not like public races matter to anyone, at least you had full control of what you install and what you WANT to install...

Slightly more advanced users didn't ever have problems with installing rf1 mods (heck my 78 year old grandma understands how to copy a file from place x to place y, no joke). And beginner PC users, how it seems, are even more confused by rf2 system than rf1.

16. Twista

Twista Registered

People complain about vMods, and then complain when ISI roll out a fix, as well as bringing all of the content up to par with the tire model, gamers confuse me sometimes.

17. kmw

kmw Registered

What fix did ISI roll out Twista? Has it changed anything to help offline racers do simple updates of gdb or aiw files?
    Guy's post might have been over the top, but it still holds true - online play is all ISI are concerned about, but the ability to edit one or two of these files for offline use is essential for good racing against the AI.
    I just WISH ISI would remember the offline aspect. Slowly the builds look more and more promising, but I remain downhearted that modders will encrypt their tracks and I will never be able to adjust settings to create a decent offline challenge in my own custom seasons. :(

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

If only LimeRock was just the version number change, what was changed/updated on Corvette for its version 1.41?

If only there could be a simple changelog when those updates are happening..

19. Nuno P

Nuno P Registered

+100

20. Twista

Twista Registered

This helps the offline side of things, because cars and tracks are no longer tied together, it makes installing and uninstalling cars and tracks way easier. To edit the components, you just need to open the .mas files in MAS2 and edit them.

Encryption isn't ISI's fault, it's entirely up to the modders whether or not they want their track to be easy to work with, or if they want people to not steal their work.