Would enough people be interested to get together an endurance race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

GMT is GMT.

You can register more than 2 drivers. I'll do some more research on what the minimum wheel time each will be required. That will be the limiting factor. For now we are just doing this 1 hour event to test swaps and work out bugs. Also so everyone can learn SimHQ server etiquette and procedures. When the 6 hour race sign up thread is ready we'll have the particulars hashed out.

Is like input from Noel and others who have experience with driver swap faces over 4 hours long. I have experience with 3 hour iron man races but not swaps.

2. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I hope I can find a team for this!

3. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

You had one to begin with :p

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'll have to check my calendar and teammates for this, sounds great :D

5. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Off topic king here. But has anybody any advice how to get decent volume of your TS voice chat over the loud Vette engine? It kind of drowns everything and I donĀ“t want to mute that altogether either :)

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

7. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Thanks will try that. Worrying about the bug reports though.

8. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Driver swaps work as advertised for rF1 standards...

One thing I have noticed is with the skins, you'll need to make sure you have the server version of the skin, otherwise it will try and upload/download a new version.

skin file name example: alt#.dds = _20540_alt#.dds
    skin file name example: alt#.mas = _20540_alt#.mas

when you join the server as a different car to the car your skin is held in and a team mate is on the server with the car the file will be downloaded to your machine. Once it's downloaded go back to matchmaker, re-enter the server, go into tuning of the team car select the new file with the randomized number added to the alt#.

Then you'll have the same skin as your team mate, who will then either need to do the same thing, join with another car, download, rejoin select the skin, but crucially confirm the random number with their team mate, and then either exit the game and edit it or join in.

If this is not done when you join the server again with the alt#.mas or alt#.dds it will be uploaded to the server and a new server version will be created.

As we are still using rF1 driver swap coding it could cause a issue with driver swaps. As the slightest difference causes issues.

Good news though it does work when you've both got the same skin file selected. No issues...

Big thanks to Noel for that utility... Works a treat!!

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Not sure if I understand this... in short: choose the same skin as you teammate has?

10. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Can it cause any issues for other teams on the server if one team get it wrong?

Practised Driver swaps yesterday. Why do you need to map the driver swap key? You never use that only the passenger select?

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Last night Noel and I tested swapping.

We had no problems with skins. We tried several scenarios and in each, the driver who takes over always has the same skin that the car began the session with. There were no problems at all with skins. We tried:
    -the #1 driver had Same car number as the #2 driver, both had different skins
    -Different car numbers, different skins
    -Same car numbers, same skins
    -no skins, different car numbers

So custom skins, default skin, the car that the #2 driver chooses when he enters the server- none of it seems to matter.

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It looks like there is a lot of difference in experience levels of drivers. Also, the tire wear on the Corvette is really bad. I have made a set of tires last an hour before but a better solution is to actually pit every 20 mins and just run fast. pit every 20 mins for 6 hours?

The 370Z will be better for the less experienced drivers to handle and the tires will last 45-60 minutes a lot better.

Has anyone discovered any different or have a different idea? We may have a GT3 Ferrari F430 by the time the race is here (thank you PetraGTC!) and that may be an even better option. That car is currently in beta but is almost ready for prime-time

13. guod

guod Registered

Nothing is absolute at this point with rF2, but not an issue with rF1 driver swapping. It'll just show as a disconnect.

Yes. Suggestion to use the "E" key. Don't use the "P" key.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

All you need is passenger select. The hot swap key isn't needed unless you do on track swaps. We are only going to do swaps in the pits.