Are my lines right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Been trying the 3.5 round Poznan, and finally learnt the track for the most part. Still no clue for a setup, so I'm using default with a bit less fuel and different brake balance.
    The question I want to ask is, are my lines actually correct? I was lapping with no AI, so I'm not really sure about the racing line. I wouldnt trust the AI anyway XD
    It's always the tricky thing with a new track, and once the rubber gets laid, it takes a while to purposefully change your line to get some more rubber down.

Anyway.

T1, maybe a bit wide on exit??
    T2 and 3 (left handers) I got a bit tail happy on, not too worried, me and my lead foot.
    What I'm interested in is T5 (the tight right hander after the small crest). I know I could brake a bit later and deeper, but on exit I am trying to keep it fairly tight and towards the center of the track, so I can get to the right, ready for the next corner. Then again, that could be wrong, and I just need to change. :confused:

Any tips for this bloody fast track?

2. coops

coops Banned

my tip: drive it like you stole it

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

Hahahaha, nice XD
    But thats either going to be as incognito as possible, keeping under the radar, etc or it is going to be ripping the **** out of the car and doing mean skids....:D

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Your lines look pretty sweet to me! Well a lot better than mine. The tyre deformation from about 43 seconds looks cool.

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I also think the driving line is quite good, but I think you're losing some tenths coasting. This sort of car should never be coasting, you're either on the throttle or braking (or both) but never simply rolling as at 0min59-1min01.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think it must be to do with setup though, as I need to lift off just a tad there to get the bloody nose of the car tighter. Maybe if I was a bit straighter going in, would help with locking the inside tyre and would mean I could brake later.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Lines look pretty good indeed. improving lines now will be within the margin and mostly dictated by your driving style and getting more comfortable to push more.

For me its all about the exits. I always focus on that, the faster the exit.....and then everything else, lines, setup, driving style could/should evolve from that notion.

You could take a bit more curb in places though but that will happen automatically once you become (even) faster.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Your driving style looks very smooth and lines in general are good. Poznan is a narrow track so it might benefit some in lap time to use the inner apex curbs as much as possible at places. FR3.5 in general allows slightly more aggressive steering input, you can "force" the car more on a hotlap to get the best out of it (especially since there is no tire wear on this car yet). Or you can just make the setup more oversteery to get a more aggressive front end.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

True, that is a good way to go about it. Kinda what I was thinking for T5, as the exit I get really seems to affect the next corners.
    Yeah, I'm always a bit wary about kerbs, then again they seem real flat on this track.

Yeah, like above, I should probably look at the curbs XD
    Definitely got to try some kind of setup work though, having to keep backing off the throttle to get it to tighten its nose does get annoying.

10. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Exit curbs or the outside curbs are all just painted tarmac at this track as shown in the main track discussion, so using as much of these as possible will help. There are more then one way to skin a cat and car setup does determine your lines too especially in terms of curb use. Though not necesarilly the outside flat ones her but any raised ones may need a setup change to avoid them destablizing the car. This setup change may hurt in other ways so its just something you need to experiment with and see what works best.

I always find that I get to a comfortable rhythm on a track until I find somoene is much quicker then me lol then I tend to need to change things up or push a little harder to find the pace others are getting somehow. Your lap times are pretty quick and I tried that car there and was a few tenths off your pace using much more of the track. Its also hard to tell as track condition makes a pretty big difference and you can only really compare lap times on the same session in rf2.

This track I think t5 and the double right handers third and second last corners are very critical, you can esily lose lots of time if you muck them up especially outbraking yourself then scrubbing lots of speed. I like to take t5 with a wide exit onto the curb to help get some more power down earlier but then also turn right getting ready for the next left hander. The tight line doesnt allow you to get too much power down as the back end tends to get lose easily for me at least on that exit. Not sure which way is quicker actually but in different cars and depending on setup you can change it up. Also if racing AI they tend to take the tight line and so the wide exit gets too slippery thanks to all their marbles left behind after a while forcing you to follow their lines.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

^Yeah, currently with the default setup, the curbs really do make the car a bit squirrely and unpredictable. But after not being able to drive it for a week, I've finally sat back down tonight and had a crack at it again.
    Being a bit more aggressive at T5 in regards to direction changes has actually helped. I can string a set of low 1:14.9's and high .8's together fairly easily now. As always though, my lack of setup ability is rearing its head. I'm even more confused with the 3.5 car, as you can barely change the front end of the car, and I have no idea what this "3rd front spring" thing is.

Spinelli gave me a setup tool that has helped somewhat in the past, but it isn't working its magic this time XD
    Anyone care to share any setup tips for the 3.5, with their limited setup parameters?

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I don't drive in cockpit view so this is the first time I've seen an outer wheel quiver while corning.

Is that normal, or an artifact of the replay?

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

It does quiver a bit like that while driving, but the replays are a bit bugged when it comes to tyre deformation. Makes it look odd and exaggerated.