rFactor2 Build 198 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

You're kidding me right ? I agree JB, this needs to be an option from a server end. Realistically who will run with rain spray on in a competive race, no one if it means they will have a better chance at winning..

Maybe ISI is doing this initally given different hardware types to ensure that it can run first, then implementing such a feature... We hope anyway.

2. bassweight

bassweight Registered

I have actually noticed it to be somewhat different with my G25, not necessarily worse though. Had to increase FFB effect in Profiler and in-game to get it right but it seems okay now.

3. guod

guod Registered

+1

4. RustyM

RustyM Registered

Huge Thanks !! spray is nice !! what an amazing sim! tried spark f2 on stormy lime rock: stunning!!

5. Pits

Pits Registered

Coming in on torrent at 1.2 meg second, thanks for that. I don't seed of course but there's over 100 at 100% now doing it.

6. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

the rain spray is'nt bad IMO maybe the spray comes of the car for to long initially when the track is drying ie dry track areas still creating spray, but once the game realizes its dry it actually works really well as soon as the car hits a wet patch it gives of some spray but on the dry areas there is none...
    It may be because I,ve switched HDR back on ....but is the graphics looking much better in this build? for me its alot crisper and the sense of immersion OMG

I have noticed i have more flickering texture's on monaco now though with this build... or is that the HDR thing also?

7. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Okay, folks... if you want to keep the spray out of the car, a few tweaks are needed.

As was mentioned earlier, the key is editing the PLR file...

First, turn off the raindrops ("Rain Drops="0" // If true, rain falls")-- should say "If true, rainDROPS are visible". Turn it off, and rain will still fall--- but now those poor-looking raindrops won't be visible; inside or outside the car.

So now we have no huge raindrops in the cabin.

Next, you must set the various "flow over vehicle" options to "1" (true). 2 (flow over other vehicles) doesn't seem to do right--- I believe that right now you could say 2 = flow over only other vehicles (but not your own). The "raindrop flow" one probably doesn't matter, since we turned it off--- but it doesn't work (drops are still intruding with it on, as the devs said, raindrops aren't fully implemented yet), so just having the drops off is the answer for those--- but I went ahead and got all my "flows" going, while I was at it. Rainspray is of course the one that interests us here...

Now, the spray will begin to not intrude, but it still might not be right.... this is where the emitter offsets come into play.

Vehicle Flow Radius="5.00000" // Vehicle sphere radius for smoke/flames/dust/spray
    Vehicle Flow Offset="3.00000" // Offset below vehicle where sphere center is located

These two lines could be read to be only about the sphere that does the emitting of things, and indeed they may control that--- but it is also the sphere that defines the outside of your vehicle for purposes of things flowing over them. You might notice that the values above are not the defaults I found there--- they are what I changed those values to (just slight increases) to push the last two inches or so of visible mist outside the cabin (it still intruded at first).

So, now you should find, as I did, that rain itself (in the sense of falling drops) is invisible, but does still fall... and honestly, who wants to look at it anyway, looking like that, and with no visible drops on the glass? But the mist will stay out, leading to exactly the effect you have in deep fog--- inside the cabin is crystal-clear; outside you have a whiteout.

Worked a treat for me, and I think that's the best we're going to do for now, as far as making these effects look good. I agree with the thickness/dissipation problems, but if you want to use it at all, I found I could like this--- seeing those 2D frames of mist in the car with me ruined the effect so totally I would rather not use it at all.

I hope it works for you guys; enjoy!

8. Favio

Favio Registered

Rain spray it's exagerated at low speed, can't see anything. Also have this weird bug, in malasya (F 3.5) with sun and no clouds I still have rain spray :S ... someone else happen this?

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

10. Thor

Thor Registered

+2

11. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Every F1 driver I have ever heard talking about visibility in the rain have always said that TV and cameras don't do it justice, that visibility in the cockpit is WORSE than what you see on tv. Even Jean alesi has said it!

12. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

is the track still wet?

13. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

This is a travesty! Spray was 2 years ago. At the 20th second of the left side of the screen. 2011.

Do you have a fantasy just do?
    this, rFactor1 ... Looks better (but can be better)

Question. Do you like what you do?

14. Thor

Thor Registered

Update 13 (Build 198) Changelog (March 28, 2013):
    =====================================================

GRAPHICS:
    ————————
    Adjusted reflection parameter
    Re-enabled rain spray
    Tweaked rain spray algorithm so that light spray doesn’t last as long as heavy spray
    Adjusted minimum water depth to create rainspray
    Narrow the rainspray slightly if car is only partly over wet track.
    Fix for misaligned sun in reflection map
    Fixed minor math problem in “Moving Rearview” algorithm that caused mirrors to reflect forwards if you moved your seat halfway towards them.
    Added a color space transform to HDR processing
    Now using a more accurate gamma conversion after HDR processing

15. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

that prevented include spray before? in the first public beta test

16. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Wow, first time I agree with DimitryRUS. Maybe in that rF1 video is easy to see trough water, but is better than rF2.

Is obvious that rain obstructs visibility, you can see some scary examples in this video, when this driver overtakes in straights:

Is Lemans, much water in track... is difficult to see in some points, but you can drive throgh that spray, you can see something distorted, lights and that stuff when this guy si NEAR from other cars spray. In rF2 you only see a white wall when you are driving with light clouds and rain, in all the spray, doesn't matter if you are driving at 5 or 80 meters, allways a white wall while you are inside "spray effect".

I tried to give It a chance, but after several tests, I still think it is very wrong, like smoke. My last test was with Renault Clio at Lime Rock West Bend Chicane. In sunny day I did 0:59.500 (you can check It HERE), and I tested offline with this configuration:
    View attachment 7065

You can see is Light Clouds and Rain (not much water), and with this config I did 1:05.500 with wet tires, only 6 seconds worse than dry, graphically appear to be a storm despite putting Light Clouds, this is why I tried to do some test laps to compare times and be sure there wasn't much water... and here is the result of the spray:
    View attachment 7068
    View attachment 7066
    View attachment 7067

If you are inside that white mass, you are absolutely lost.

Here a real LimeRock wet racing, I'm sure these guys are driving in worse grip conditions than me with more water (if it's raining or not doesn't matter) and despite of that, they don't produces "pyroclastic spray":

I'm sure that spray is annoying for drivers and difficults racing, inside spray is different than outside, but I'm sure they in LimeRock can see much more than us in rF2, water isn't a white wall guys.

And I'm not saying this talking about a bad ISI's work (but I think It's too, spray and smoke are really bad, worst things of the game to me, is the first time I am being critic with something here in this forum), I'm trying say that some people are a "crazy" if thinks the visibility is OK just now.

PS: I said I wouldn't post about this again... but I give a try to that effect and I'm very dissapointed with some opinions about this saying is realistic, I hope and I'm sure ISI will improve spray and overall rain effect. I trust them and their fantastic work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

On a sidenote:

The heat haze from cars looked great yesterday when driving Marrusias at sepang. And the sun occlusion is stll one of my fav. features.

18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

The whole problem is the graphics engine, the very old, which features work from scripts. Effect it can not be distinguished from the previous rFactor1. This is not a new sophisticated graphics engine. To hire good artists or professionals on the schedule can be a budget does not allow it. All the work is on the old engine. Imitation of the work and there is no real rendering in real time. A pile of fundamental errors. Who never will fix.

I can not talk constructively. 1 Do not know English language. 2 Listen no one will.

19. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I haven't yet tried the new build, but in real life the amount of spray is mostly determined by the type of asphalt surface. many times when driving in the rain at less than 100km/h depending on the road you can see almost nothing or you can see perfectly.

20. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Nice to know! that's something I didn't know... but pay attention at my screens, or try in your own PC with Light Clouds and rain. Then try to follow another car at 40 meters in the track you want. And I'm not talking about wet conditions showed in other rF2 videos, I think those videos are done with few water, sunny and almost dry track. My test is with an usual wet track 5-6 seconds slower than dry.