[REL] rFactor2 Weather Tool

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gerald Jacobson, Mar 30, 2013.

1. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

After deleting all locations of the XML file - except one where I was confident that I already did same laps - I was finally able to start the tool as well.
    Conclusion: Tool is currently very sensitive to syntax errors in the XML file or if locations don't exist in the expected directory.

Nevertheless great idea for a PlugIn

2. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

Hello,
    </Location> is missing just between </Directories> and </Locations>

PS: i will add more error message about XML syntax and missing info

3. costamesa

costamesa Registered

Thank you. It works now..

4. Gerald Jacobson

V 1.0.6 available

- Fix application crash:
    Add messages when the XML file is invalid, or when a directory does not exist.

Thank you PRL MerlinC and costamesa for the feedback, and thanks all for your compliments

5. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Did you ever think about a graphical user interface to edit the XML File (e.g. select locations). Would be much easier for people like me ;-)

6. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

That`s really cool Gerald :)

Thx for sharing.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Feature request.

To have Practice, qualifying and race on same screen, but different dates.

8. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Does the tool work for online sessions as well? Can somebody explain the process how to set the weather on the server? Will all connected clients than get the weather from this one server?

9. Gerald Jacobson

Yes it works for online sessions.

You just have to set the profile to the one used to launch the server, and if you have made a separed installation, copy the exe and xml there or change the dataPath in the XML

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

11. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Hey guys,

I had a couple of hours of spare time and decided to add most of the locations currently available. For most of the tracks in the XML file I solely used the Data Provider 1, The Weather Channel (for historic data). Of course you are always free to add the forecast (type 2) data.
    Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to start a collaborative Google Docs project for this awesome tool. After all, a lot of hands make light work (if that is a correct English saying:p). I have created two files:

1) A spreadsheet containing the meta-data of the current XML file --> Here
    Data points in green have been added to the XML file. You can add data (additional locations or missing provider data for existing tracks) to this file. If you then also add it to the XML file, please make the data points green in the spreadsheet to keep the files "identical".

2) A document containing the XML file (text) itself. So you can add lines and copy from the latest version. --> Here

I am kind of new to using cloud docs on this scale, but I think it will work better than uploading files all the time. If you add something, keep two things in mind:
    - add comments if necessary
    - keep locations in XML in alphabetical order to keep it easy to read

Needless to say I am not responsible for the accuracy of the files, but we as a community are. However, I will review changes from time to time. If it will not work I will probably deny public access, but I assume that won't happen :p

Like I said, I am new to this and if any problems occur please let me know. It would be nice if someone (other than me) will be able to test if it works. Also, ideas for any improvements or notions on the very idea are more than welcome:cool:

Finally, most importantly, I would like to thank Gerald (and perhaps his side-kicks:)) for the development of this great tool! Without him/them, this would all be meaningless plain text:p

Happy tracking!

Thijs

12. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

The XML file that is currently online doesn't work yet. The application crashes at startup. I am currently using trial and error to find the problem. I think it might be a memory problem or a restriction when loading the file due to many locations.

EDIT: Of course it was my fault :p Forgot some node brackets due to some careless copy pasting :rolleyes: XML files have that effect on me... Anyway, it works now!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

^ It seems the hero came earlier than expected ... :D Thanks a lot.

14. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

To be honest, you pushed me over the edge (so consider yourself the hero) :p Was already thinking about this earlier, just needed a reminder:) Anyway, I am definitely not the hero here. Gerald is:D

15. Gerald Jacobson

Hello,
    I have added an extract of the post about the two file proposed by BrokkelPiloot in the first post of this thread. I have also updated some location on those files to add forecast parameters.

Thanks to BrokkelPiloot for this initiative.

PS: Each time i will release a new version of the application, i will include the current version of this XML file.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  16. TestDriver

TestDriver Registered

Hi,
    Great work, love the idea...

However, I cant get it working.
    I place the Config and the xml in the root folder (where the launcher sits) and when I run the config I get a message advising that the "rFactor weather tool has stopped working"...

Could you clarify your "read me" that suggests "rFactor2 data directory", by this I assume your indicating my mention file path above?

I have my installation of rFactor2 running on a dedi server, any suggestions?

Cheers...

17. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

When you install rFactor2, two questions are asked one for the core files folder and another after is asked the folder where data shall be installed. You can separate core files and data files. You must install the software in the data folder you indicate.
    In this folder you have UserData present.

For example you can have :

rF2Install/core
    rF2Install/data/UserData

You shall put the software in the folder corresponding to rF2Install/data/
    Because by default the software seach the path ./UserData/player/ to get the player.PLR file

18. Gerald Jacobson

Hello,
    In addition to MaD_King's reply

If your default profile (as you use the dedicated server installation) is not named "player", you must edit at least the "path" attribute of the "Profile" tag in the .xml.

<Profiles>
    <Profile id="1" name="Player" path="player"/>
    </Profiles>

If you have several profile, you can add them in the .xml

<Profiles>
    <Profile id="1" name="Sixties races" path="sixties"/>
    <Profile id="2" name="F1" path="formula1"/>
    </Profiles>

19. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Wow! It seems to me that you added a lot of Forecast data. Very nice! :)
    One word of advice. I think it is very nice that you will add the most recent "cloud" XML to the tool, but make sure to test it before you release it. It's very easy for some contributor to forget a bracket or slash. That's okay, but if you release it you will be the one that made the mistake (in their eyes) and has to deal with it.
    That said... I appreciate your support :) After all, we are working towards the same goal here!

Cheers,

Thijs

20. Gerald Jacobson

What if i let the HMI like today, but i memorize which day you set on practice, which on qualify, and witch on race. And then if you change the session in the list, i recall the correct memorized day. And of course, the same thing if you click on the "1 click" button ?