[WIP] Las Vegas Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Locations' started by iDTDoug, Mar 24, 2013.

1. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

conversion from rf1. pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i havent tried the aiw file but i had the same issue i had with cleveland, my car loads on top of another car at 0,0,0 and i have to ctrl-shift to move it so im dreading i'll have the same issue that forced me to stop working on cleveland (aiw would save but crash when reloaded).

Latest: http://www.phototiming.com/idt/rFactor2/Locations/07lasvegasgp_096.rar

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Harry Tulloch

Harry Tulloch Registered

hope these pics are from rfactor 1 because the graphics of the track look shocking

3. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

why would i post these pics in an rf2 forum if they were from rf1??? :confused:
    of course they are rf2.

4. Radar

Radar Registered

Have to agree with Harry, the graphics could do with a revamp.. shadows from the buildings is a good start..

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I'm afraid to say the graphics look embarrassing. Not even rF1 standard. I really hope all these conversions are only a stop gap until scratch built content is released. I don't really care for fancy eye candy but I at least want tracks that showcase rF2's potential.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

Guys what the hell? Do you not understand what WIP stands for? Do you rather have no version of the track than what's in the screenshots? You're free to not use it, but why piss on the modder and risk nobody getting the track, even those who would be happy to use the track?
    Could I have a quick show of hand who of you could even produce a track looking like in the screenshots?

Doug, for what it's worth, I very much appreciate you bringing over your tracks. Thank you for your continued work!

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ditto, cant understand the negativity, there's constructive criticism and there's downright failure to understand the concept of a Work In Progress by someone doing it for the love of modding. One of the risks of posting any kind of pics I suppose but there ya go!

Anyway its a decent track, looking forward to your work Doug.

8. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Agree with Ethone. I'm sure Doug or any other modders are aware where their work needs to be improved.

I saw a couple of screenies of Hidden Valley which I thought looked a bit crap, but having downloaded the track, am well impressed with it and look forward to it eventually being finished so judging a track when it's finished would be a better idea.

9. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The work that goes into releasing any track, a conversion,scratch built, WIP or final version is very much appreciated!! If I only installed scratch built for rF2 tracks i wouldn't have much to race on. I was trying to make the point that the sceenshots look awful..Nobody can deny that, compare the above screenshots to Dunsford or Poznan.

My point is, we have a brand new Sim with far superior graphics capabilities to rFactor 1, yet we are inundated with conversions from rF1 and other titles, which i find a shame as I wished Modders could concentrate the time on better quality scratch built tracks fully utilising the untapped potential of rF2

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It was the same with rF1 though, at the start there were far more track conversions than scratch built tracks and again those did'nt take full advantage of rF1s new capabilities.
    Modding a track is all about learning along the way, learning the new things in the engine and sometimes it takes 2, 3, 4 tracks before the modder takes full advantage. Just look at the ISI tracks, the older RF2 ones need updating now due to the more recent ones being that much better with new tech thats available...same goes for community modders. Not everyone can get it bang right straight away, so use a bit of discretion and try to understand where the modders are coming from and what they're trying to achieve before labelling their screenshots as "awful".

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Appreciate your comments and perhaps "awful" is the wrong word to use. "dated" might have been better. Apologies if I have offended the OP or anyone else.
    Hopefully this time next year we will be awash with top quality content, scratch built and conversions at a finished and complete state. ;)

12. ethone

ethone Registered

If those are your benchmark then you will not see many tracks matching or exceeding that benchmark. What Tuttle and feels3 do amounts to exceptional work, not the standard everyone should aim for.

Tuttle works as a professional 3d artist with lots of experience. I'm not sure about feels3, but it's clear he's no beginner, has tremendous knowledge or help on the tech side of things, especially shaders, and he's probably working on his tracks much more than your average hobbyist (or we wouldn't be getting two tracks a year from him).

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thank you for investing your time on this track iDTDoug! It is appreciated!

14. Twista

Twista Registered

I appreciate the effort, but do you not think you'd be better off improving a track like Long Beach? Which still has problems with low poly count and HDR issues? :rolleyes:

15. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

+1000 ethone
    They sit there and judge iDTDoug's work form 2 pics, did they even bother to enlarge them to see properly or is it a judgment made from at least 1/4 of full screen that iDTDoug see's. Do they care how long it's taken to do this work? Maybe before they criticize they should try to get any track into RF2. I've not done this but I do know 2 who have, and it's way beyond my patience or free time to get anywhere near this work.
    I for one am very happy that these guys have time to put in the effort and make tracks for us all FOR FREE, hats off to all you guys and thanks for your efforts.
    FWIW it looks good to me iDTDoug

SS

ps: it's the beer talking at 1am lol

16. jtorruella

jtorruella Registered

It is true that in his day, at a personal level, improve the textures of all RTD tracks in rfactor. But the important thing is to have a base track and this is very welcome.
    The quality of the graphics, each can mejodarla.
    Bravo for your great work IDT

17. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

those pics are 1st shots in game, no other work even started. I don't even have the racegroove done yet. For those criticizing, you can ignore WIP threads and go away. Thanks to the others. I cant remember the last time someone donated for any work we do and my PC isn't the latest greatest fastest in the world. People seem to think they have a right to get commercial quality for free, then complain if anyone tries to sell a mod. It doesn't deter me, that kind of "entitlement" attitude has been around for a long time.

18. jtorruella

jtorruella Registered

Make a donation .. ....?I try the web IDT, and could not.
    Thank you for your work back meritoso

19. mikecart

mikecart Registered

thanks for working this track .............:)

20. martymoose

martymoose Registered

If that's what you want to happen next year, I'd suggest avoid bashing others efforts. Constructive criticism is helpful the other crap serves no purpose, even better if things aren't up to the standards you want get in there do it yourself and then post it publicly as you can obviously do much better.

Sitting back and hoping things will be given to you, and then bashing others early work is going to get you the exact opposite result a year from now.

If people leave the scene or don't share any of their work then your only option will be to make your own cars and tracks along with all the other armchair modding experts that help others avoid sharing publicly. Even the best guys had to start somehere and if they get turned off early how will they develop their skills.

If you don't get what WIP stands for maybe don't read any threads with that in the title. If you have no respect for others efforts then simply shut up and avoid or uninstall anything not up to your exceptionaly high standards.