Online Public Racing in a Nutshell.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathofmarat, Mar 23, 2013.

1. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

This 5 lap grand prix will be the best 5 lap grand prix that we've had since the last 5 lap grand prix we just had 5 laps ago.

Damage? No one has time for that.
    Tire wear? That's not realistic.
    Weather? What the hell do you think this is, Earth?
    My buddy botched the start and crashed? RESTART RACE NOW!
    You, the no named scrub botched a start and crashed? TOO BAD, LEAVE!
    And for the next track, here's a hastily converted motocross track that my son with Parkinson's created!

Oh, and guaranteed death in turn 1.

HAVE FUN GOOD LUCK LOLZ.

So tell me.
    Have I just been spoiled by the iR concept of having standards, and penalties.... or are you all just really so bad at this?

...I really need a drink, and to join a league or twelve.

Twelve leagues and twelve drinks.

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

U forgot asking the fastest driver for his setup lol

4. Miro

Miro Registered

Sounds like mx5 LRP race to me. :p

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Forget the public servers in rf2
    They are a joke

Get yourself hosting & go online with a select crowd etc

6. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

7. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

It's funny. I was asked for my setup last night.
    Just after I was asked, someone posted a slightly quicker time.
    Same person who asked for my setup then asked for his.

I didn't even have time to leave the car and send my setup.

Humanity? No. Vultures.

8. Spadge

Spadge Registered

You think the public servers are bad, you should see the state of the public forums: nothing but constant whining.

9. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Here is my experience. Our club is relatively new to rF2 and this last few weeks is probably the 1st time we have had a server running regular on the lobby. We will be starting league racing soon and for those sessions we would generally password the server. But as we are testing various tracks and cars online the server is open to anyone.

We ran The Clio on Croft, knowing a popular combo would get some traffic in. Racers joined and helped with set ups etc, One guy even joined our club in teamspeak to help with a few issues we had setting up the server (safety car and connection speed etc)
    In that one session we had, I never met so many helpful Sim Racers. Explaining custom skins, set ups etc etc. None were wreckers and nobody crashed on the 1st turn. Everywhere are bad apples but truthfully I believe rF2 is set apart from other titles from the offset just by the kind of Sim Racer it attracts. We have Race 07 servers running too but they have to be passworded(?) almost all the time as there are no clean races especially when our friend Skidrow joins. pCars we can't even set the car up yet in garage its straight to race which is no good at the moment for serious races.
    I often join in the public servers and have rarely seen much mayhem. But I can see how it might be different with the more difficult to handle cars on trickier tracks.
    Last week I was in and out of the F12013 server at Melbourne and saw few incidents. I may have caused 1 or 2 myself but a quick "sorry" in chat goes a long way.
    Like in Race 07 as time goes on you get to recognise names in the publics, you remember the fast guys and you remember the fair racers but at the same time you remember the idiots, which honestly I don't think there are that many about in this Sim.

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

They are fun. Once you remember that they are open servers and you expect some of drivers there (to be polite) to not to be the brightest you will have fun.

League races are for semi-serious racing. Why semi-serious? Because they will be civilized sure but it is still meant to be fun for the members.

Sometimes I almost choke from laughing when I'm on public servers. It's the matter who do you encounter. If they are just random guys with random silly actions then you might have a nice time with popcorn and coke. If they are bunch of trolls that are there just to wreck everyone else and flame and blame (trolling on purpuse) that might be annoying sure.

Just enjoy your life, have a beautiful girlfriend/wife, kids, job. Have fun with your friends and when you have some time for some racing, hop in and race with smile on your face. Because don't worry be happy.

11. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Start from the front. There's pretty clean up there.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Online Public Racing in a Nutshell

I dont bother...AI are good enough for me!

13. Timpie Claessens

That's usually where you find all the (in their heads) Sennas who don't believe in giving room tho :p

14. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ll +1 this as I do like racing the AI although I do think (and hope) that the AI could be improved a bit to give us even better races and also that I do plan to try and get online a bit more this next while as the few times I`ve done it I`ve really enjoyed it. :)

15. Craig Booth

Craig Booth Registered

The irony is, you're there driver who deliberately knocks down the breaking markers in online races. So cool story my man...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  16. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Yep, good enough for me too.

I have done plenty of online racing with a trusted group of friends and it's a lot of fun, but even that takes a lot of organising and getting decent numbers to participate can be difficult. Public racing I completely avoid though.

17. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I don't see what the big deal is, yes there are some slower, less skilled people racing online who make mistakes and that. I put it down to them being un-practiced and stay out of their way, let them get the practice they need. What is supposed to be so much better in private servers, I have raced in password events with IsR and there are still slow people and mistakes are still made, thats racing, it happens.

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I do not see any other way of starting than with hosting a public server. In public server you meet more people and could attract regular racers that way. Then, if you have enough regular racers, you could change to private racing (password protected).

I do not find anyone who drives rf2 regularly a bad driver... bad drivers drive arcade games. Of course mistakes are made sometimes but it is not a ramfest. And there is constant improvement in consistency seen for sure.

I'm not worried not finding competitive people to race with... just finding people who wants to drive the same thing at the same time.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

At the height of my active sim racing, which was back with GPL, I was in 11 leagues. I never raced the open servers. There are some good guys to be found on open servers, but league racing is really the best way to give you the opposite of the experience you seem to be having. Most people are currently running rF2 in a league judging by the server usage.

20. Timpie Claessens

And reading sorry (well most of the time you dont even get that) starts to lose its meaning after a while, just the next dumbass that cant get his sutff together and outbrakes himself again but is probably to first to vote trough practice and q sessions to start racing.