Marussia MR01 GP Car v1.0 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

I agree with you there 100% but I must also say if you look close I downshift not against the limiter. It's just on the limit I would say.
    (sometimes I don't match it 100% ) :) They also said on the Marussia Tech page that it would be useful with this car as the brakes can't really survive a race distance.

However I'd like to see more laps from more people here. :D

Nice lap BTW!

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Interesting post Mr. Loatman...

Just out of curiosity, what brake map is going to give the best braking help with the MR01 then?

The default brake map is 15...

I`m not sure what these numbers mean really. I know youv`e basically explained what brake maps/engine braking does, but what do these numbers mean in rf2?

3. tjc

tjc Registered

That`d be appreciated. Thanks. :)

4. Miro

Miro Registered

Interesting, so you say it doesn't slow the car down any more when I shift down earlier, I could also stay in 7th gear till I have to accelerate again? Sounds strange to me.
    Did I understand that correctly?

5. Takumi

Takumi Registered

I think it is that way unless you hit limiter under downshifting--> rear will lockup. But if you stay at high gear in the corner, you cant balance your car with gas and car is kind of "dead".

6. Miro

Miro Registered

Ah ok, then all is good, thank you for explaining.

That's exactly what I am trying to do.

BTW nice watch! I would loose my mind with that tiny stuff lol.

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

No, I went straight driving in first practice session without delay. However I believe it shouldn't matter because it seems track gets full wetness before end of first lap. Made another test today and tried to drive even more accurately. Yes I felt there was more grip at the very beginning of session but took the first lap relatively easy and tire wear indicator showed full green bars for each tire at the beginning of first timed lap. Think I was constantly very near the limit but still not overdoing it as I was monitoring tire temps very closely. For sure there were some hairy moments before tires gave out but believe didn't cause too much excessive wear. I was able to make them last 4-5 laps but after that they were giving out very fast (as you can see from attached lap times). Made also a video of the session because couldn't attach replay to this post (maybe about 4 megs is too big?):

http://youtu.be/ufGbYk5fOaY?hd=1

Here's my setup and track rubber files which I used at the test session:

\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\Malaysian_Gp\ View attachment 6878

Just want to add this Marussia is the best vehicle I've ever driven on any sim! Amazing vehicle once you get hang of it and find suitable setup.

Attachments:

View attachment 6881 View attachment 6880 View attachment 6879

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Excellent. I`ll do some experimenting with it and see how things go.

I appreciate the info and you checking it out.

:)

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

With 'drive by wire' wouldn't it be more efficient to leave the Throttle 'Flap' open and cut the fuel ? or the ignition if you want big bangs :)

or how about using solenoid operated valves and passing the exhaust stroke from one cylinder into the induction stroke of another via the inlet manifold.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Good testing and video KeiKei...

I really like that camera angle you used in the video too.

I`ve not done any wet driving with the MR01 yet... I must give it a go, I`ve grabbed that setup and rubber too. :)

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The vacuum is just a by-product of shutting the throttle. Engine braking is caused or achieved by compression of the inlet gasses. Shutting the throttle stops the fuel going in so there's no 'bang'.

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I felt that my car is understeering a lot. Also, you seem to have way more grip than I.

My setup: View attachment 6892

But thanks for giving some advice :)

13. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ll certainly keep all of this in mind... I`m really enjoying experimenting with the MR01, much more than I`ve enjoyed experimenting with these things before on a sim F1 car. It`s just such a good car to drive and experiment on imo.

Best sim F1 car I`ve ever driven...

Thanks again. :)

14. whiplash

whiplash Registered

not much more to say really!

15. costamesa

costamesa Registered

Looking at the onboard footages of f1 drivers, most of simracers here and other games use downshifting way too much aggresively. CM implemented a new approach in their game this year: Downshifting too early was destroying your engine in just a few laps but they had to throw it away with the patches as community argued though the idea was good, implementation was not working good enough.

Also Ferrari Virtual Academy has a different way for downshifting that prevents players downshift too early. if my memory serves me well they say it is the way a modern f1 car operates..

16. Takumi

Takumi Registered

I was talking about same thing earlier. Not really sure if that aggressive downshifting is realistic but it seems to work for some drivers in RF2. But as my onboard lap few post earlier shows, it is not only way to do it. Here is another example of lazy downshigting. All drivers in F1 seems to do it more or less this way :

17. costamesa

costamesa Registered

No, it is not.

18. Miro

Miro Registered

Yup, I think i depends on the situation. Either it's a Q lap or in race or they are driving agressive or saving fuel, they do it different.

Look here you can see Vettel is also matching the revs on the right side. That's a Q lap. I think it's style and situation dependent.

19. Takumi

Takumi Registered

You are right there. But you can still see that downshifting happens mostly between 15k-12k revs. Far from max 18k rpm.

20. costamesa

costamesa Registered

iam at work= web filters= cant really watch the videos :(