Would you use this service (rF2 xml loader and statistics display)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Mar 16, 2013.

1. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Just for fun, I have developed an application which loads rF2 XML session result files and then a web site to display the data.

The software is using .Net 4.0 and the website done with Asp.Net. So, I don't want to pay money to host this web site if no-one is interested in using it, but if I get enough interest, I am willing to host this app for you guys for free.

If you'd like to use it, all you would have to do is run the application to load the xml files and then just hop to the web site to see the results. If I get enough interest, I can also give you a windows service which loads all files automatically. Or a small console app which can be scheduled. I'm quite flexible.

This would be an ongoing project and can be enhanced as the community would like and wish.

The first image is the loader and the other 2 just some screen shots from the web. The web can also be enhanced with graphs or other information which the users might find useful.

So, what would you say?

Cheers

2. JSwan69

JSwan69 Registered

Yes I would. Great work. Always interesting to see some post race stats :)

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Most definately would be nice to have app for viewing race results etc. But why not make a standalone Windows Forms application too? I could imagine majority of the need would be making those xml-files viewable on own computer privately. Sure there could also be web interface as it now is to display data for larger community especially from online races.

I believe hoser70 is also reading those xml-files and generating some nice statistics for his website. Check out for example this:

http://www.finelineracing.net/rFactor2/index.php?eventid=3

Maybe you could include some of those ideas to your app. Especially those graphs are very nice and informative. Maybe you could also add this kind of graph:

View attachment 6741

It's from online Grand Prix Legends series which I participated over 10 years ago. That graph is very informative as it creates lines relative to one single average laptime so it clearly shows how laptimes are getting better as fuel load decreases, where drivers are making mistakes and making overtakings, etc.

Tip to ISI: Create a similar graph and link it to rF2 replay system. This way people could easily find interesting points of races as it would function as a single informative race overview for them. It could also indicate drivers fastest laps etc. Maybe hoovering mouse cursor over a graph line could play replay for that driver in a smaller frame. And so on.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

6. Mee

Mee Registered

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Good idea about the Windows app for personal use and the graph mate :) Sounds interesting. I'll do one especially for you first so that you can test it for me and if you find it use full I can release to the public to use.

What do you think? :) Do you think it's a bad idea that all results be public to everyone? Do you think people prefer to keep it private? That can also work as I can create private sections.

PS: The web app and loader are ready for beta testing too but I am seeing hosting options at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  8. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yes, Nibo's software is great, I've seen it :) But I am using different technologies (asp.net and framework .Net 4) so its not compatible.

Not sure how Nibo's works, but the one I did you can have the rFactor xml files on one server and web site on another as it uses web services. The files can be loaded automatically through a windows service or scheduled task.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I'm not so technical person, as long it is easy to use :D

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

My program opens logs locally and generates HTML reports to file or to clipboard. Then you can embed them in your site if you wish. No network involved.

11. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Run the windows application, choose the XML log file folder and press the upload button :) Open a beer go on the web site analyzing the results, that's all ;)

Note that I do not want to replace other software, this is just another alternative for fun.

12. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I like! That is perfect for standalone systems :)

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah why not! I'm very busy with other things but that shouldn't take much time and maybe I could give some development propositions too.

Yep that publicity thing was the very first thing I was thinking when read your first post. But if there's app for personal use and no data is sent to public servers then there wouldn't be need for private sections. If someone decides to send the data to public server then one could assume it's ment to be public. However there could be need for private sections if some league wants to keep their results only visible to their members but I'm wrong person to answer that.

14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

OK cool, I always like your constructive criticism :)

Hmm, never thought it about it that way really, but maybe you're right.

15. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered