Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marvin Morgan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Like your take on this Spinelli :)

2. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

Optimistic point of view, but unrealistic im afraid. With the amount of work that goes into a scratch made mod being 10x or more what it was for previous games, it will seriously cut the number of free released mods. And of those, only a few will be worth getting. The rest will be payware, get used to it.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

We'll see about that :)

4. boxer

boxer Registered

How many will stay motivated to create free content? I know I wouldn't... why give it way when everyone else is making $$$... If it was me I would feel like a fool...
    Having said this ... they have the right to ask for $$$ if they like... we are all free to do what ever we want.

So get use to ... free mods have come to an end... one must expect that every mod for rFactor from now on will cost $$$.
    so there is a chance besides what we currently have there wont' be a proper racing series unless you pay for it..

Good thing is that many titles are coming down the pipe so we will have a lot to chose from.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol dude you are completely over reacting. Yes the age of free mods is over hahaha, of course it's not, look at all the amazing mods you can get for other games like crysis, left for dead 2, arma 2, pretty much any pc game out there, yet its over cause a couple guys decided to charge in rfactor 2? No way.

Even within rf2 itself, I just can't see how all of a sudden everything's just going to change cause of a couple people. I doubt RMT will charge with their humongous amazing WSGT2 mod, feels3 tracks, that beautiful looking f3 comming up, etc.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Money or the lack of it does not motivate me to mod this game. The main motivation is to create content for ME that I feel is lacking from the game, and always will if I am not going to do it. When it is done, I can share it for others to enjoy or hate.

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Why don't you form a proper racing games co?
    The 2007 F1 mak corp is an outstanding sim car, so a full game built around that would be well received by rfactor/simbin fans.
    All I ask is for at least 15 cars in V1.0....then I'd happily pay top dollar+DLC.

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, no problem - buy license for game engine, build tons of tracks, get licenses for all those (because people "don't want to pay for fictional content")... Really not a big deal doing all that - if you already have a car, the rest is pure formality and will not take longer than 3 months... ;)

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Because forming an actual company brings more problems to the table such as licensing for everything. If you have to buy 3 max licenses, 3 photoshop licenses, maybe a good dSLR camera, google earth pro licenses, license for the track or car, series or brandname. Good luck getting some small change AFTER you have done all the investments. It's either that, or become an actual company actively releasing stuff which sells, like Reiza Studios apparently have done. Being a modders company, good luck, it just doesn't pay the bills. If you want to go that way and do it all legal, I can go as far as saying it only costs you money and only increases the risk of having brands and companies to sue your butt.

As far as I'm concerned, leave companies and financing to the grown ups who know what the heck they are doing... Leave the simracing hobby just that, a hobby, when money get's too much involved, I'm afraid things will turn sour beyond repair sooner or later.

The excuse, "it takes time to build mods and stuff and it is so complicated", get real, you do this because it is your passion, if it wasn't, why bother in the first place. Want to earn money? Get yourself a freaking job, better yet, apply at Simbin or ISI.

/Frustrated rant over..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  10. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Who move the modding is not money, is passion, is the will, maybe someone mod just for money, but they are the minority, wich is not bad, some of us are not boys any more, theres no more F1-Challenge, actual sims have a lot of detail more and take a lot of more time to mod property, eventhough, they are thousand of free mods not just for rf2 but for so many games, because 1 or 2, 3 or 4 charge money says that is rFactor2's death knell is simply too much for not saying is hilarious.

11. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

You clearly live in dream. Passion is not enough anymore becase nobody has the time.
    And i really doubt of thousand free mods youre talking about, atleast give me list of quality mods that came out in last 2 years that are reall worth?
    Even here on forum we see stuff beeing converted that are just to old for new games. Sorry i didnt and most of here didnt buy rf2 or will buy AC for mods that are since F1c and no match from quality to new standarts.
    That was in the past and the future will be limited, very limited.
    The big teams are all gone and many mods will stay WIP only to. Some will still try it and releases will take from year up just for single car. Ripped content is going out as there are less and less games to that can be ripped and some doing it are doing just bad quality.
    Its hilarious that you all think rf2 and AC for example will continue in mods rate that rf1 even doesnt had in last 2-3 years beside the ripped content.

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Wake up chump, I clearly indicated I was in favour of a full game, and besides, others have done it.
    It seems like payware is bordering on pointless, ie, either build it for free or go the whole hog and create proper commercial products.

Anyway, it seems silly to me to have all of these small sim makers producing baby sized sims, rather than join forces and build bigger badassed games with a greater budget and manpower.

13. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Im not talking about quality, im talking about the numbers, i really believe what im saying, im much more optimistic(if is the right word), for sure the time will tell.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

But this is exactly what I meant, trouble is, Reiza is so small, it's still releasing small games with old GFX, effects etc.
    If a number of the sim makers combined and built a supa sized sim with excellent driving, technical merit and car and track list, it would be far more appealing that owning and dicking around with 4-5 smaller sims that drive well, but lack everything else.

15. weimaraner

weimaraner Registered

... totally agree with you, that's the point!

16. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Nail on head.

17. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

+1 !

But thank god you're here :)

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Why is it that you don't have the time to do it for the passion but have plenty of time to do it for money ?

Same as the " if you dont like it don't buy it" line of thought.

If you havent got the time, then don't do it.

You made your mod to look like cars designed by manufacturers, just changed the name.

George Harrison changed a few words to a song but used someone elses tune and got taken to court and lost.

What makes what you have done so different.

You are making money from someone elses design, if its not, the make models that don.t look like real cars, like the Howson or the other cars that ISI released in rfactor 1, they lasted a real long time didnt they.

I dont give a stuff if some one sells there work as payware,good luck to them, but you make such a big thing about mod conversions etc but you are doing the same , your mods are'nt your designs, they just had the words changed and you charge a fee for them.

19. ethone

ethone Registered

That generic statement not helping anyone and is not even accurate. I dare say our passion at Virtua_LM has been enough to get some decent tracks out in the last few years. Passion is enough to get projects started and done well.
    We do however face technological and systematic challenges. It's becoming more and more "expensive" to produce good 3d models, physics and textures as our graphics become more advanced.

This is where this whole payware discussion can actually become dangerous. Payware isn't the biggest threat to rF2 or the sim racing community. The actual challenges we face are what's threatening us. Payware mods are one valid (but complicated) option to approach some of the challenges. Payware isn't the issue, at worst it is a symptom.

We need to start talking about the challenges and how to address them, not get held up with these skirmishes that don't address any of the underlying issues.

As a side note on motivation:
    You are fundamentally mistaken about the sources of motivation for human beings. Money is far from being the only motivator, let alone the biggest. If you are actually interested in this, there is a fairly decent video summarizing some of the research into this on Youtube.

As a case study here's my motivations - I want to be creative, both in the sense of creating something and in the sense of artistic creation. I want to be productive, meaning that there is some output or product coming from my efforts. In addition I enjoy providing something of use to other people. You know, to be doing something useful. Money doesn't enter into my modding motivation. I have made some money from freelance work I got through the modding I did.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That applies to the general gaming industry as well, and nothing of the sort is going to happen anywhere soon.