Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marvin Morgan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I wouldn't make iRacing - payware comparison. While I agree that iRacing tends to be a bit expensive, what you pay for is actually a superb functional online racing system. iRacing is not so much about individual cars and tracks, its about racing (against other people) as whole. Something what rFactor, AC, pCARS can never achieve unfortunately.

2. Twista

Twista Registered

I'd gladly give money to a mod team before release knowing where the money was actually going. If it was going towards buying a tire, to improve their tire model, to pay towards licenced content. I won't pay them to get what I previously would have gotten for free. Judging by the demo version, I don't think any paid mod yet has met my criteria, so I've not bought one.

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Not saying you have to support us but how should actually a modding team advance more and do more acurate stuff, license if you dont support them from start? Arent we allready doing something allready by atleast trying to do something for you? Just saying that if you dont support them in simple way yet how should they or we actually give you more if we allready barely pay for simple stuff.

4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

why don't you all think that ginving a few Euros to a modder team is just a way to say thank you?
    or do prefer to download and never even a word to the modder team?
    it's a question, of which side you look from ;)

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I believe he was talking about the opposite situation, when apart fro making free content, car models are also sold on Turbosquid, to finance the project.

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

He specifically mentioned taking a car from Turbosquid and spending 3 hours on it getting in game

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Of course you have to prove your skill somehow before you get any money. You can not seriously claim that more money will result in more quality mod automatically. Skill can not be bought. You can give time and tools for a modder with money but it is only a small part of actually making a quality mod.

Unless you are financing his/her modding studies :D

8. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

True :) Well I did showed to the community in the past that i can make quality stuff to. There was far more that some here are using it and seen it allready to but it was from game dev and work that contract actually doesnt allow me to talk about it but maybe ill brake that one in future, lol
    There is somebody to that helped me on T5 mod for example on physics, especially tires but i dont want to tell it becase it is what we offer and a name should not change this actually.

9. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

+1

Pretty sure we DO know the answer to that :rolleyes:

10. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Just to say "thank You" costs me the euros? :D

11. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I don`t really think that paymods are some kind of death to rfactor2. I see more a bit of an opportunity here to get modders evolved in Game/Simdevelopment. Everybody here has a reallife and some kind of Job and the modders are using their sparetime to do some really good stuff while the majority keeps racing. Every hour iam racing some modder works with his tools to get some proper work done and if he thinks hes stuff is good enough to make some money out of it why not? People actually paying hundreds of $$ for smartphones which are probably worth 25$. I don't have a smartphone myself cause i need a phone just for calls and textmessages. Its really nice that i could have internet everywhere iam going but i dont really need it, so i don't gonna buy one. Same goes for me with mods. Sure its easier to keep a look on free mods but if i don't like the free mod why should i use it? Same goes for paymods.
    Everybody whos selling a Mod already released a Demo as far as i know and as long the demo works as great in sp/mp as the mod itself theres no need to buy the mod. I like it how Ales did his Demo without the interior, you get your full car with everything in it except the interior, but thats not really neccessary for racing. Sure i would be happy to get a speedometer and some gauges but i can live with it, cause its a demo. If its the greatest thing i drove so far and iam loving the mod i sure can spend those few bucks to enjoy it some years. But if people selling their mods without a proper demo and the quality and quantity for the offered price is lacking iam sure those guys wouldn't make much money outta it. I mean honestly if you are going out for dinner to a restaurant and everyone whos with you is complaining about the food, u wouldn't go to your friends and say "Hey lads that restaurant in avenue x was so unbelievable bad u really have to try it out yourselves!" Sure those guys will get some money from people who aren't already know about, but we are talking on the internet and the Simracing community is a big network so these guys wouldn't get a good publicity on the official simracing sites.
    And u can't compare a product like iracing to anything else cause its one of its kind somehow. And i think a big+ on their side is their Oval Section with all the licenses. Ovalracing has a long tradition in the states with a track in almost every town. Thats also why they have a big membership on their side. Their aren't that much options for an ovalracer as far as i know. U have some mods for Rfactor, Arca and Iracing as far as i know. So iam really looking forward to the Ovalracing in rf2. Did my Iracing time only because i like the thrill of Nascar racing. But thats just my 2 cents.

12. Max

Max Registered

I don't know, but I believe you left a letter off your cars and team name Ales.. A "T" That is all.. Meh whatever.

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

That's a helluva statement there. I guess we'll see how this pans out in the years to come. Sounds like someone is throwing a gauntlet down to the freeware guys.

[​IMG]

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

The main issue with payware is not if someone is willing to pay or not, its if anyone tries to sell a mod they don't have the rights to.

In the past with freeware mods, license holders most of the times just turned a blind eye to the practice but once money is involved trying to profit off something you have no rights to is the likely big issue here.

Take the F1 payware mod for example, its a series that is very protective of its license and has been against some freeware mods in the past. This has been released with fictional skins and they also give a link to the real skins on their main page. This isn't fooling anyone and if the FIA gets word of this it will take action against it and those who profited from it. Codemasters have the exclusive license so they may ask the FIA to take action on their behalf.

This may bring more unwanted attention against all those free mods that were allowed to slip through in the past. Do we really need to take this risk for the sake of people making a few dollars. Worst case scenario someone like the FIA could even target ISI for hosting content breaching their license and copyrights. This could put an end to RFactor all together and then would the paywarw experiment really be worth it?

Modding is generally someowhere people start out as a hobby, those that want to make a career out of it can easily do so by using their mods as their portfolio.

There have been numerous modders that have taken this step from early simbin to many others more recently. The free stuff is generally where they learn their trade and if they get to a level that is high enough to become professional there are many pathways available for these guys.

There are also lots of modders that don't have any interest in making it a profession and will gladly keep it as a hobby, simply to add content they want to use or give others.

I don't care if someone buys or sells a mod but if it brings down the entire community, those that are responsible will hopefully be happy with those few dollars made that may ruin so many peoples enjoyment and hobby.

I just wonder if its really worth the risk and as I said before if ISI thought it was possible to have a sustainable payware mod option they would create a store and officially support this action themselves. They don't as they arent willing to take that risk but there are others willing to on behalf of everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  15. coops

coops Banned

WILL NOT PAY FOR MOD TILL FULL VERSION OF RF2 IS RELEASED..........................
    why would any1 pay for a mod for rf2 when rf2 has not even been fully released version 1.0. updates to the game means probably updates to the mod which means your paying for something that is not even finished but in WIP. every1 that has made a payware mod jumped the GUN big time and has not united the community it has divided it. Say when the game is fully released and about 1 yr old and an update comes out from ISI will these modders be charging you to update your stuff for free or will they ask for more money?

16. Radar

Radar Registered

Actually, I think you will find we are on 1.156 :) At least that's what the dedicated server.exe says..

So pay up coops lol

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

And I'm pretty sure you're blind to actual answer and make up "your own truth" instead.

Please don't be an ignorant and read a few posts back - you got a straight answer from Ales. It's really not nice to badmouth people just because you think something is true, regardless if it's actually true.

18. coops

coops Banned

PMSL

19. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

That's not an issue with paymods, that's more of an issue with people charging for IP they don't own. I wouldn't make that a mark against pay mods and more of a mark against the people behind those specific mods. Ones with licenses (highly unlikely) or with fictional content are 100% fine imho.

... You paid for rF2, didn't you? It's not finished.

I don't see how giving ISI money for unfinished work is any different than giving a mod team money for unfinished work. So long as they're doing quality work, it's no different at all. Also, a mod team is not any less accountable for delivering on promises than ISI is. Both could just up and not finish at any time (and as we saw with rF1, there was unfinished stuff that was never 'finished' before moving onto rF2).

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nothing to worry about, there will be many, MANY amazing free mods, just wait until RFactor 2 really starts getting off the ground, remember it's a long term project, and ISI themselves aren't even at the point where they want to advertise and market the product yet, that itself tells you just how insanely early we are in this products lifespan, and how what we are seeing now is not even close to a sign of what's to come for tue future.

There will be a ton of free amazing mods, many people make mods out of passion and as a hobby, and have no interest in attempting to charge people money.