Making an update to a single track component?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Jorgen, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I have tried to create an update to one of my own track components, but I cannot seem to get it to work no matter how I do it. I have gotten the Mod Manager to find the 1.1 update, and it installs fine and lists as 1.1 in the mod manager, but the game still only lists 1.0.

The only thing the update is supposed to do is to change a few .gdb parameters, so I created a new .mas file with only the updated .gdb file in it. Then I selected the original component in the MAS tool, changed the version number from 1.0 to 1.1, chose a new .rfcmp file, checked the "Upgrade from" box and typed 1.0. After that I have tested both with removing all listed .mas files and adding the new one, and adding the new and leaving the old ones but unchecking them. Both of these created a very small .rfcmp file as expected, and both are recognized as updates to the original track, and both install fine. The only difference in the mod manager is the content pane. It either lists only the new mas file (when I removed all the existing mas files before adding the new), or all mas files including the new one, but all files list the same size as the new one.

None of the two versions are recognized by the game though. I guess I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, so any pointers in the right direction are most appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Kev

Kev Registered

Yep, there is wrong steps you making.

First of all, you cannot update single file, you need to package full mas with it. For example, when i tested my aiw for croft, i extracted all files from layout mas (aiw, cam, gdb, ect...), replaced aiw with mine one and packaged them all to new mas with same name.
    Second, you don't need to remove mas'es not updated, you need to only remove checkbox for them. Also you need to replace mas which is updating with new one.

After that, package, install, test, profit. :)

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Ok, thanks Kev. So if I understand you correctly,

- The new mas file must contain the same files as the original one. (but with updated content where needed)
    - The new mas file must have the same name as the old one.

Was that right?

4. Kev

Kev Registered

Yes, absolutely.
    Also your update in cmp manager shoult look like this (hope Feels3 don't mind i using his track in this example):
    View attachment 6640
    That is, whole list shows what mases needed for track to work, but only checked mas'es will be added to update package.

5. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Well, I finally got the game to pick up the update, so now both the mod manager and the game lists version 1.1. However, the game still insists on picking up the .gdb parameters from version 1.0. Is this a bug or am I still doing something wrong?

Screenshots:
    After installing the full v1.0 version
    After installing the v1.1 update
    Component packager with the v1.1 content

EDIT: What strikes me as being weird is the content pane after installing the 1.1 update. Why are two of the 1.0 mas files listed with the same size as the only mas file in the update package, and why is one of the 1.0 mas files listed without a size?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  6. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I would be extremely grateful if someone from the development team could comment on:

- Whether I'm still doing something fundamentally wrong, or if the problem is caused by a bug
    - Whether it should be possible to update a track gdb file via a component update

Thanks.

7. Kev

Kev Registered

This will never happen. Sadly...

Well, i couldn't manage to successfully create update with gdb but probably due to different reason (see bug reports).

8. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Yeah, it's very unfortunate, particularly since the packaging system is brand new and so far completely free of any documentation. (minus the YouTube video, which doesn't help at all in my case) It's almost impossible to play guessing games on what works and what doesn't, and what is a bug and what isn't. If this game is supposed to get some lift-off, we need some sort of assistance here please.

Thanks.

9. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Any input from the dev team would be invaluable here.... please?

10. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Apologies for the somewhat blunt question, but is the complete absence of dev team contributions here a sign that nobody cares, or is it rather a sign that the packaging system is being reworked? Here's hoping for the second option...

11. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

There is a doc in Support\Tools called ModMaker.chm. This should answer your questions on how to use the packaging system. I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of your demeanor.

12. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thank you for the pointer to the document Joe, I hadn't seen that one. Unfortunately, updates are only covered by two paragraphs, where this one seems to be important here:

I tried both with just one updated MAS file (which I knew would not work, but I figured it was worth a try anyway) and with the updated MAS file and all other MAS files from v1.0, but sadly, none of these work. The game always reads the track .gdb file from version 1.0 no matter what I do. I guess this must be a bug then, right?

Side note: I take it the quoted paragraph means that an updated track component is always as large (or larger) as its previous version since all the non-updated content must be included too?

13. dv8r

dv8r Registered

I think i have encountered the very same issue.

I have a cmp at version 1.72

i update a few of the mas files and create a 1.73 as an update to 1.72

these will install and list correctly if installed as cmp's, HOWEVER

if i go into my mod, which is at 1.5, and i replace the 1.72 cmp with the 1.73 cmp and package as an update mod to 1.5, it packages fine and includes the content. When trying to install the new MOD, it lists the cmp still at verision 1.72 in the package manager, yet i know they were packaged as 1.73. When i go into the game it will only use the v 1.72 content.

If i then go out, turn off update function, repackage the mod without a single change, it all works fine and my updated cmps are listed at the correct version.

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered