rFactor2 Build 156 dedicated server problem

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Marcing, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Marcing

Marcing Registered

Hi,

The latest update does not allow to run "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" directly. View attachment 6486

Is there a walkaround to that issue?

EDIT: The same situation with fresh install. When you install packages to /rfactor2/core they are visible, but you've got above error when running "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe". When installed to /rFactor2 they are not visible and you are receiving message: "No mod files or installed mods found"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  2. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Same issue here.

Workaround is to use the launcher to start the dedicated.exe ('host')... which means another opened window that might not require a lot of resources but clatters the taskbar. (Add to that all the reinstalling and setting up under rFactor\ instead of rfactor\core...)
    We are running up to three rF(1) servers and two rF2 servers with the same main server. It is an issue to have two more launcher windows there. And yes, you can close them after starting up the dedicated server, but is the launcher really necessary for hosting in the first place? It wasn't for the last 1+ year.

:/

3. Marcing

Marcing Registered

I know that you can run it from launcher, but we are using game hosting panel - you are starting game with command line and you don't have access to desktop.

4. DocJones

DocJones Registered

5. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Works for me. I just finished downloading rF2_146-156.exe via Bittorrent and installed it from the Launcher.
    Marcing, your screenshot implies, that you are trying to run "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" directly from the Core folder. That never worked without additional parameters, at least not from build 118 onwards, which is when I got rFactor 2. You need to append "+path=.." to the command line, or simply start it from the rFactor 2 root folder like "Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe".
    Your error message indicates a different problem though, it should be:
    View attachment 6488

I´d suggest you do a reinstallation again, and after uninstalling you delete the leftover files in your rFactor 2 installation folder and your rFactor 2 Data folder. You can keep the Packages, Updates and UserData folders. Then install afresh.

Cheers,
    Marcus

P.S.: If you still have problems, your download might be corrupt. Use Bittorent if you haven´t yet, since it has file integrity check integrated in the protocol.

Edit: Looking again at, what I presume is your Core folder, you ran the ModMgr.exe directly from there to install the packages, didn´t you? That can have some funny side effects, and I wouldn´t do that. Either run it from the launcher or like rFactor 2 Dedicated.exe, append +path=.. or run it as Core\ModMgr.exe from the root install folder.

6. Radar

Radar Registered

I have the same problem Diablo.. Run it the same way every time, this time it fails..

Doing an Upgrade (as it would appear you did) may work (I haven't tried this yet), but the full install does not..

Note.. Mine is a complete install. Removed all old files.. If I'm to test an ever changing build, I want to test it fresh.. I've done this several times in the past with no problems, this time it's a different story..

Oh and additional.. If you run more than 1 dedi server as I do, running it through the launcher doesn't work at the moment, you can only run it direct from the core location (as it has been run in the past)..

7. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

@DocJones
    Advanced -> choise "Close this application after succeful start of the simulation."
    No more window rather than in the task bar

8. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Read the latest edit of my last post, I think it has something to with it. I am doing a clean install from the full installer right now and see, if I get a different result.

Edit: Works like a charm. I installed to a different directory to seperate it from my current installation, which I want to keep for testing the update. I then changed to the new rF2 installation folder, opened a cmd.exe prompt and ran "Core\ModMgr.exe" to install the Clio Cup, closed the Mod Manager and ran "Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" and was greeted with the profile and mod selection, as expected.

Seeing an "Installed" folder in Marcin´s "Core" folder indicates, that ModMgr.exe was run with the wrong environment (working directory), so it installed in the wrong place. Maybe that worked in previous builds, but not anymore, I don´t know. I´ve never done it that way.

Cheers,
    Marcus

9. Radar

Radar Registered

That may explain the 'installed in wrong place' but for those like myself that run more than one dedi server running, this could be a problem..

To be honest, it's looking for sounds that none of the components have, nor mods for that matter.. It's def a bug of sorts, especially when I tested the rF2 dedi.exe file from Jeremy for a couple weeks before this build came out with no problems at all..

10. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I run 2 instances of the "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" on our rental server. Both share the same installation and thus the Installed directory. To achieve that I created a second player profile and that way use different .PLR and Multiplayer.ini files. I use seperate "HTTP Server Document Root" (Multiplayer.ini) and "Package Dir" (.PLR) values for the two profiles and of course a different port setup. I only have to duplicate the vMods into the Packages folder and the respective HTTP roots, to have "Get Mod" working.

I wouldn´t consider this a bug. If it works, how ISI intend it to work, then there must be something wrong on the user´s side, as I´ve tried to point out earlier.

11. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Is any-one else seeing the build number as 1.145 after the dedicated launches? Complete download...fresh install

And I have always been able to launch directly from the core dir in our servers.

Dave

12. Diablo

Diablo Registered

The server status windows says its version 1.155.

13. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Ok Thanks..

That's likely why it is still loading directly from the dedicated... LOL

Dave

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

well i have no idea whats going on... ive installed the mod in mod manager ...i get the dedicated box to appear but nothing is showing up in it...no cars or tracks...this has never happened before

16. Radar

Radar Registered

At least you got that far JB :)

17. Diablo

Diablo Registered

OK, first I have to correct myself. The +path should not just simply be "..", it should be the Data path, one chose during installation, apparently. However, the current version of ModMgr.exe does not seem to honour this parameter anymore. It uses whatever is set for "Working Dir", even from a seperate installation.
    View attachment 6491
    Edit: Just to clarify, that´s where the mods/components will get installed. The Mod Manager does not care, where or what that directory is. I just installed the Megane and Clio mods to a completely unrelated location, which will not be recognized by the dedicated server. So be careful, what the Working Dir is set to, particularly if you have more than one installation.

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ok cool... could you please write that as a full line for me so i can mimick it please... +path(fill in what you have here)

cheers

19. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

nevermind got it running

@ Radar if you need some help i can pm you our ts details

20. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Doesn´t matter with the current version apparently, but FWIW:
    Code:
    ModMgr.exe +path="c:\Users\Marcus\Documents\rFactor2"
    but only if that´s where my Core\data.path file points to. With the current version you need to make sure, that the "Working Dir" inside the Mod Manager is set to the location named in Core\data.path otherwise it will install into the wrong folders and the dedicated server will only check the location in data.path as it seems.

Cheers,
    Marcus