Driving aids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobs40, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MJP

MJP Registered

Because there's no real need to, you don't want TC/ABS on say your 60's car then don't turn them on, if you run a server then don't make those options available. Frankly the game has these options covered so no need for modders to waste time reinventing the wheel, to listen to some people you'd be forgiven for thinking TC/ABS etc. is somehow forced on in some cases.

2. coops

coops Banned

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Don't you need auto-clutch enabled in order for auto-lift and/or auto-blip to function in RFactor and RF2??

I've never understood this, as I heard that in the Enduracers mod (and who knows what else) the auto-lift and auto-blip were determined in the cars physics file, it true, does that mean that enabling and disabling auto-clutch for those sort of mods, would have no affect on car physics other than being used as an anti-stall aid, and therefore you're auto-blip and auto-lift lines in your PLR file have no effect whatsoever even if you turn auto-clutch on?

??????????????????????????????

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

I would like ISI to add an extra screen in the garage independant of your "difficulty" settings page, that allows you to see which aids the real cars has, and allow you to turn them on or off from there (and have mapped button options for them.

It's about time a sim did this properly and in an organised, non-confusing way with assists.

5. Neuro

Neuro Registered

If the car has semi-automatic feature ON, disabling auto clutch does not disable auto lift and blip.

6. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

This is one area I wish everyone would learn from iRacing. I'm in the "no aids for me" camp here, and have been since well.... a very long time now. But when it comes to iRacing, you get what you get - bar TC*. This, is how it should be. 100% as it should be.

For example the 12C GT3 has ABS, and the iRacing 12C reflects it fairly well. It has 12 settings to choose from, on the fly, in car. 12. 1-11 differing levels of aggressiveness, 12 is off. Not 0-3 like here, 12. And they all do something, and all have a use. Over the course of a full run, I usually lower the aggressiveness a couple clicks (due to fuel burn). The FW31 over there has a page of adjustments incar that is more complex than any rFactor 1 / 2 setup page for an ENTIRE CAR. Some don't use em, some do. The big thing is though - and no one else seems to do this even decently - is it's all changeable in car while driving, as it is. rF2 has what, roll bar adjustments in car and that is about it right now? This is how these assists NEED to work IMHO.

Regarding TCS (and somewhat ABS) - racing TCS systems are far more advanced than some seem to realize. It won't make a bad driver good, but it'll make a good driver faster. If TCS made them SLOWER they simply wouldn't use them. No one's feet are as precise and perfect as a computer's. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen. A racing TCS isn't going to turn your hamfooted moron into Schumacher, but it will make that Schumacher a faster Schumacher. And again, this is something that has several settings and is more often than not a driver option on the wheel. An LMP is not your average Toyota, just because both have "traction control". One makes you faster, one makes you not die because clearly you aren't a racing driver. (lol)

Yes, you can map the assist buttons to the wheel, but it's really odd, on top of the fact that it should be car dependent to even have those options. Perhaps the best compromise would be a garage setting to enable overall assists or real assists, or heck, a menu setting. Again, I wish they'd take a page out of the iRacing book and have a full on incar adjustment page with things like the relevant adjustments a driver has at their fingertips in the real car.

I remember when Audi brought out the R10 they had no TCS at the time. They did come up with the light system for wheelspin though, but still... Didn't stop them from winning, their drivers didn't somehow become incapable, didn't suddenly start spinning every last chance. They simply didn't go "as fast" as they could have. Remember F1 with v10s without TC? Guess what, when they added TC we didn't see a huge change.

But still... the assists here assist me in doing nothing but going slower and having less fun. They are built for two different things - here assists are to assist you in driving on track safely, in the real world they are built to make you faster and more consistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Totally with you, especially on all the in car on-the-fly adjustments, I want those!

About the 12 settings vs 3, that is exactly what was brought up earlier. There should be a distinction between aids and functionality of the real car, so to speak :)

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It would be great to have a list of cars that have some driving aids. (where do I find this info? some good site or all scattered around the internet?)

I do not mind if somebody I race against wants to use some driving aids (or even all of them :p). Usually they are not the fastest guys but allowing them to use aids makes fun and tight racing. I can drive many cars without aids but some are better with low aids (especially low TC and low stability, F1 cars and maybe Corvette for example).

But I'm not that much into serious racing with the little time I have to spend on this game.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

For me it is not the point of having them drive better, it's just that traction control on an F1 car doesn't exist in real life anymore, so I don't use it. I play a sim for the realism, and adding stuff like that only takes away from that, so in the end, what is the point of driving a sim then when using a assists to make something 'more' driveable?

I have little time as well, but it feels way more rewarding for me to have to work to gain my first 3rd place in the racedepartment club races yesterday without any silly aids.

And yes, I do drive the car back to the pits instead of pressing the escape button, before someone asks.

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Sim with some aids still feels more sim than some arcade game. I think f1 car is pretty hard to drive even with low TC and low stability. And yes, it feels rewarding when I nail it.

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I wouldn't expect anything less from rF2 though.

It's an F1 car, what do you expect.

edit:
    I realize my posts come out harsher than they are meant to when reading them :X

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  12. Diablo

Diablo Registered

What Empty Box said. Good post.

Cheers,
    Marcus

13. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

I for one am too stubborn, and I refuse to put aid, I have little time to practice, then in F1 costs me as I am not good at setups, but do not give up... but I do not enjoy it when I come down to the IA in any sector and in the next sector I spun hahaha, in the F2 without aid those cars are great, but just wait 3 or 4 laps to take the tire temperature and then if you turn in 6 gear full throttle in long corners, sorry for my english ;)

14. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I use auto-clutch because I'm lazy and use sequential paddles in everything. I use auto-blip on downshifts for the same reason.

If the mod says "turn ABS on to low" I do it, because that's what it says (like for the rf1 Elise).

Other than that, I don't touch them or allow them on the servers I host.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Where is this semi-automatic feature?

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Rf2 Beta brought me back to the random server list (as aposed to my usual league-only racing) and i fall for the same trap every time i join a server.
    I start practising and go faster and faster and faster, but never fast enough and seeing the times from others i get frustrated. and try again.

And because i'm stupid i notice that all kinds of aids are ON on the server, but only by the time i am about to leave.
    Even more dumb because it keeps happening to me. Ok, i dont race enough so i forget, and due to league racing i assume its the same for everyone, my bad, but still.

I dont mind it though, each his own, but i never use it and thats a big difference lol. not good for my ego :)

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

No aids, except auto clutch.

18. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Do what I do. Race them anyway without using any aids.

Victory tastes so much sweeter when you know that you won with someone that had clear advantage over you.

I want it to be hard. I like it when it's hard. I like when at my University is like being in hell. I like when I'm out with people I know to race on gokarts and I ask for some ballast for my kart to make it harder for me. Why? Becasue when I win when odds are against me it is the best thing. When I have lots of work at University and extremely hard exams that makes you not sleep for days and after all of this succeed, it is the best thing to feel.

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Or just don't join servers which allow aids in the first place, fair competition, no problems :)

I think he means open wheelers or some purpose built racecars which have a semi-automatic gearbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  20. Neuro

Neuro Registered

The modder can tune it in the HDV file. In the [DRIVELINE] section, there is a SemiAutomatic=0 line. If you change it to 1, there you go. :) It is usually 1 for instance in modern formula cars.