Driving aids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobs40, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Bobs40

Bobs40 Registered

Do a lot of you Ladies & Gentelmen drive with driving aids on? or is that a no no. especially cars with lots of power.

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Everything off which isn't in the real car :)

It really depends from person to person though, some can only drive an hour a week and simply don't have any fun when they can't keep the car between the white lines. Although that has only to do with practise, if you're that short on time, I can see where they are coming from.

However, if you have the time, and want to learn, I strongly advise you, even one by one if needed, to turn stuff off. It's way more immersive, makes you feel so much more in control, and it makes you enjoy the full potential of the cars and tracks you try.

Considering the topics you are creating, you probably are a novice, and maybe it would be smart to learn a thing or two about driving around a track. iRacing did a great bunch of short and to the point videos about those, which wouldn't hurt to watch :)

And as with almost everything, closest to mind, guitar playing for example, start SLOW! Speed comes with practice, bad technique is only harder to get rid of when it turns into habit.

3. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Strangely most guys around here, including me, turn everything off....even though many race cars nowadays have driving aids like traction control and ABS. But on many servers you are not allowed to use them...so better get used to no aids and have them off all the time, then get used to aids and then get shocked when you are not allowed to use them.
    but i can also say that having no abs adds a certain depth to the driving...it's more rewarding than when you just mash the brake-pedal down.

4. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

No, I might be slower, but that's more fun :cool:

5. Twista

Twista Registered

Usually non, but sometimes low ABS on the Formula cars, because I'm atrocious at braking, and the AI seem to outbrake me at most tight corners. :p

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Most people say they use none, but a lot of them do. A low level of something like traction control being quite common.

It's really up to you. The product is designed to suit taste here, and that's why you have the option. Frankly I like the fact that I can run the product, and so can be nephew (with everything on).

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Like I've stated before, the helpers are there for a good reason, and there is absolutely no reason why not to use them if things are too hairy at times. Alot of race cars use traction control and abs for example. I just never understood why dont they do a hardcore sim out of every sim and just have plentiful aid selection to accommodate the drivers skills/needs.

Great to learn tracks, cars, driving in slippery, close racing, by just putting things on and gradually taking off, if that is what one wants to achive, if not, then just use what makes it enjoyable for you.

I rather race with drivers who have aids than ones without without them, if aids makes the race challenging and fun, which alot of times would deffinetly help to achieve that result.
    Too many ignore the aids just because they think its "uncool" or not realistic, and then they come here to complain how the game is too hard and unrealistic, when its clearly their own skills and the willingness to learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1

9. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

It really depends on my mood and my comfort with the car/track.

And I agree with Golanv. :D

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My view for years has been the only cars should have certain aids is ones that have them in real life.

I never understand how people debate realism on so many points but never aids like they are untouchable.

Somehow it makes he think I am better then aids drivers , fine if that is what you want to believe I will not stop you.

So anyway my idea every since GTR#1 is 2 versions

rFactor2 - all cars can have all real aids and all the make believe aids like stability control and spin recovery.

rFactor2Pro - ABS, TC , auto shifting only were applicable on the real car and no make believe aids.

Just a different idea how to achieve it. ;)

Funny you don't have problems if people use aids or no aids but take them away altogether in Pro version everyone has a objection. lopl ?

11. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I have always thought of the aids as something for the novice .....although at times they help compensate for a lack of equipment- like those with gamepads or no clutch pedal......if you are at all competitive you will want to remove them soon as you can, you will not find as much competition on servers that use aids and most leagues dont have them enabled either. auto clutch is pretty standard most allow those-i used to use it but now i dont use any clutch, just grind'em...this sim is absolutely raw when its naked , visceral! the only aid i use now whenever it is available is the indestructible aid-i wish more servers would use that especially the ones at 60's Spa- hehe

12. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Same here. The problem is that things like TC aren't really implemented realistically. Cars like LMPs, for example, should have TC controlled on the garage pages. It's not really an aid, as such, it's a part of the car setup.
    Look at MotoGP, getting all the electronics on those machines where they need to be is a HUGE part of setup.

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

99% of the time I drive Formula 1 cars so those things aren't an issue for me :p

You can easily bind the TC to a button right, so I don't really see a problem there to be honest. I do also get the impression cars can have a bit of their own functionality, especially when I suddenly saw antistall implementation mentioned in the latest build release notes. This function would probably only work on F1 cars, for stock content that is, and if an LMP for example has a TC on/off switch which they use in combination with the pit limiter for example, I don't see why something like that could not be implemented. For me, fiddling with the switches and procedures only adds to immersion.

Again the F1 example, and this is something for DTM and others as well, they also have a form of autoclutch built in to their gearbox, where you only need the clutch when driving off from a stationary position. You can actually switch in the DTM cars from manual to automatic gearbox mode with a toggle switch on the button panel :)

14. coops

coops Banned

www.racefactor.com.au and www.moreongames.com.au use auto clutch nothing else in the way of aids and cockpit view only. love there servers, Yes i race at www.racefactor.com.au. :) if the cars have aids we probably would use them not to sure on that thou.

COME CHECK THE SERVERS OUT IF YOU LIKE THE WAY THEY HAVE IT SETUP.

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Antistall is a built-in one in some cars ;)

If ABS is on an actual racecar, I wouldn't be surprised if it's only used as a compromise when they don't want to change braking balance too much for example (so that it changes the feel of the car too much). I'm no racing driver obviously, but this sounds like a reasonable explanation to me at least ;)

I would really like a system where aids can be disabled per car, such as no ABS and other stuff on the 60's race cars, that is just plain silly! Then again, each his own, and my opinion isn't someone elses for that matter.. That is what I liked in iRacing so much, no aids, cockpit view only, no discussion needed, just driving! :)

16. Neuro

Neuro Registered

TC and ABS can be disabled by the modder (so choosing them in menu has no effect), but sadly no one cares with it usually. :)

17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

This is a topic that always divides opinion sharply.
    My personal view is this:
    There is a place for assists if you need them to either control a car you otherwise can't or to create fun close racing but.....
    They are inherently a skill substitute. eg TCS will numb you to good throttle control which is a key element of driving a powerful race car. ABS will numb you to good brake control.

I postulate that there are two main paths to develoment as a driver.
    a) use aids and drop them gradually
    b) use none at all and start with a slow lower powered car and gradually work your way up. (maybe also starting with softer then harder tyres too?)

In my view path b) is more effective. Each step along the way you will acquire skills.
    Path a) requires you to learn a technique the unlearn it and pay a price of reduced pace as you do and not many of us are good at paying that price.

In my experience racing is better with less assists too as one driver for example struggles with traction on corner exit and thus allows an opportunity for another to capitalise.

Make no mistake they are assists, by definition they reduce the skill requirement and thuis dumb down the game. Yes endurance racers have TCS but hey they drive 6 - 24 hours no?

Setups really should always be tested with no assists to get the car naked in all its imbalances, assists will camouflage any balance issues. EG how can you asses brake balance settings with ABS on? same with TCS and traction (camber, tyes pressure, shock absorbers, springs. diff lock etc). In a setup you are trying to minimise imbalances, assists woill hide these imbalances.

In parting you have paid for the game, use it however you want, but lets not pretend that assists augment any realism or immersion. The challenge of an error free lap or 30 of them is huge when its all down to you, hence more reward too!

Just my views nothing else.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Cool, good to know :)

Fully agreed :)

19. vali

vali Registered

I think it should be a switch to autoselect the real car "aids" only, mostly ABS and TC, like there is one to choose the wheel rotation degree.

I would have it allways on. If the real car have ABS, why shoudn't I?.

The "problem" I see with aids is with those people who use it all the time and then complain about how unrealistic the game is...

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The latter is so true...