Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. willz

willz Registered

in this modern day of build testing i think its the fastest way to progress, as for a guarantee, we already have our 32 bit exe to fall back on

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Here's the thing - we are not ISI beta testers, we are the end customers. How many people have rF2 and don't know about this forum? Some people may be willing to gamble on a non-proper version of the game but I for one don't wish to have something non-functional.

3. AceLain

AceLain Registered

that is why it is realease as an "unstable"....

no one is forcing you to install it.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

If it's not working properly or been tested properly they should not release it IMO. We had some sketchy online netcode problems for awhile and now look at how many people are still saying "rFactor2 netcode sux". Simracers love to hate ISI, no need to give them more fuel for their hate filled fire.

In other words, just let ISI do their thing. :)

5. willz

willz Registered

well yes we all have opinions, and i suppose in one way your right, but what does tested properly mean, a perfect game, or just a game that doesn`t crash, something as complex as rf2 does need thousands and thousands of testing hours, game makers have been using punters to test games for a while now, it is in my opinion the most complete way, but again just my opinion

6. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

It's not just ISI guy! I see hatred towards all of the racing sims! Sometimes makes me wonder what percentage of sim racers just have bad attitudes. lol

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This was not the context of the message to which I responded if you re-read it ;).

8. clockit

clockit Registered

That'll be the simulated road rage.:cool:

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is the way they work.... internal testing, then they move a build to unstable testing (which you are free to test and give feedback), then a stable release for the rest who prefer a build that is stable.

Software development is a complex thing... which is why I don't do it :D

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I just quoted your post here, but it goes for more guys here that think like you.

Not to long ago we WERE beta testers; if you bought the game, you were aware of that. Don't know how that is if you buy now I have to be honest, but rF2 is still very "young".

But now the issue; I think the whole concept of "unstable release testing" is misunderstood.
    If you don't know of this forum; you don't get the unstable, simple as that.
    ISI does test their work before release of course, but sometimes there are still some issue's when releasing it to the bigger public. Of course; there are more of us end users than ISI staff (I should hope so).
    So ISI said; to get a release better; we ASK guys IF they want to test it with us; more people, more thing get to the surface. In order to do so; you have to agree with some terms on that and fill in a pasword so they know for sure you are aware of what you're doing.

So; you don't get to the site and accidentally download some "crappy" version.
    A lot of us want to help out pointing out bugs and we take "the risk"........

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Concerning the testing of unstable builds:
    Has anyone here installed an unstable that just made rF2 crash, like all the time, completely non-functional?

What I'm saying is, how risky is it?
    I'd really love to participate in that kind of testing, but I really wouldn't know what to do if my installation broke because of it.
    Would it simply be a question of reverting back to a previous stable build, or what?

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

As has been said, the builds have been tested internally so it's not like they will have critical errors that won't let the game run for everyone, but maybe there are a couple of things that really need to be seen to before a proper public release. So you release the unstable build, get a bunch load more people trying it out, bigger user base with much more hardware differences and setups.

Not risky at all IMO. Heck, you could even keep your stable build installed and install the unstable as a side by side install. Works for me, and I can swap back and forth from them with no issues.
    If you don't want to do that and are really worried, then grab some copies of your user data and keep them aside as a proper backup.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Cool man, seems really sensible. I might just play along then, when the next unstable is released. :cool:

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

i thought i read a comment from tim or jeremy here somewhere that said the 64 bit offline is stable, just the multiplayer is unstable. That suits me as i only race offline.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The more people trying unstable builds the best. In this sense I would completely change actual complicated system where people just do not know even where to download the unstable build.
    I wonder why having a passworded forums is not enough. Considering that only experienced users should be able to participate is artificially reducing the amount of people and ways of things being done.
    I would also worry myself how having a separate install can be considered experienced since it is the only thing that is required to properly test unstable builds.

ISI's point of view of not wanting false feedbaclk of unexperienced people will become later in false bug report when stable is released.

Considering all the problems that can occur, reducing the number of variables would be highly desirable, better than discriminating people from testing. THAT I KNOW, there are three diffeeent ways to install rF2. Update, clean install in a new directory and clean install over an existing directory.

IMO, the second one should be advised as the safest preventing about losing content. In any case the installing and updating system should be reviewed. For example I don't know why default install path use program files when it is not necessary to be in a such problematic folder. Separating content from the core is not necessary either. Those experienced users that ISI claims for betatesting unstable builds typically have a different install structure than the default one.

enviado mediante tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  16. Gupster

Gupster Registered

When I participate in the unstable builds I let the game go where it wants to as a new user would do the same. I haven't had any issues in testing with the default locations.

My main rF2 install is in C:\rFactor2.

17. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

lol

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yes, that is why there is the unstable release testing. I don't understand your post including me in some category, I assume you still misunderstood my post completely and the context of the response, as well as the post by willz.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Screw this!
    YOU apparently don't understand but go in full attack mode when some people are trying to explain.

Examples of you clearly NOT understanding:
    - I for one don't wish to have something non-functional. (Don't get it then!!)
    - How many people have rF2 and don't know about this forum? (Don't know about this forum; you don't get the unstable out of the blue)

Now you can keep on saying people don't understand you, misread your posts and not getting the intention, but your words are pretty clear.

So about the attack; P** off!

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Using more system RAM in order to allow more cars, bigger tracks with more objects, etc. is a great addition from using 64-Bit, but the above quote from Tim is what really gets me excited.