Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's CRAZY really. Pace of development and what passes for 'current technology' for a track has gone up a lot the last few years with PC technology, but that's good for everyone (except Jeremy) in the end.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think moving from 32 bits to 64 bits is essential for the future. Regular simulation programs use gpu for easy repetitive calculations where it ia very powerful. But for other purposes RAM usage gets huge. Up to 10 GB when I run CFD models over 3 million elements. Our sofware company for that moved our personalized software from 32 to 64 bits. Multicore also would be welcome.

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

x 64 would improve performance :)

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I can´t Join the Green Hell with 29 AI without reducing nearly all Details because, i get a Crash to Desktop running out of Memory. It´s not a question of Performance, it is the question of possibility running large grids on Long tracks

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

8 GB RAM, GTX 780, 19 AI = crash to desktop.

If 64 bit fixes that issue, roll on :)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Apparently a true 64-bit program is much more powerful than 32-bit. I read a few years back that it goes far beyond just the simple matter of taking advantage of more RAM. Ever since reading that article I only ever hear people mention 64-bit for the advantage of more RAM usage and thats it. Can anyone expand on this further? I was under the impression that a true 64-bit program has much more "power" and capabilities than a 32-bit program, potential power and capabilities going much further beyond just simply having access to more system RAM.....Anyone??......

7. fischkopf

fischkopf Registered

Your registers are 64bits wide. So you could calculate more with one instruction. The drawback of using full 64bit features is increased memory footprint, wich is bad for caches and stuff.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thank you.

So now the big question is......When Iracing and all these other modern games are claiming to be 64-bit, are they truly 64-bit and using full 64-bit features with 64-bit registers in order to calculate more with one instruction compared to 32-bit? Or is it more just marketing B.S. and really the product/software is 90% still acting/behaving/performing just like any other 32-bit peice of software other than the fact that it can access/use more system RAM?

If that's the case, then I say "Shame on you, video game devs" for misleadingly "labelling" your games/peices of software as 64-bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Access to more RAM at least means large grids and no CTD, if the worse case scenario is correct.

10. fischkopf

fischkopf Registered

It is totally fine not to use all 64bit features. If you only want it to address lots of memory then its still worth it.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So then it's not truly a 64-bit program. It doesn't take advantage of the power of 64-bit. Other than having access to more system RAM, the program itself is still functioning like a complete 32-bit program.

Are there any games or peices of software that are true 64-bit, and really showcase the power of 64-bit? I bought a 64-bit operating system and CPU because I thought 64-bit was the close-term future. I thought software running in full 64-bit mode was going to allow so much more performance from PCs, but really most 64-bit programs today are essentially running no different than 32-bit programs of "yesterday" other than simply having access to more RAM? That's EXTREMELY sad, it's also misleading when all these software makers are claiming their product is 64-bit this and 64-bit that.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Lots of 32 bit programs work but aren't written to work in the fastest way. So you're losing performance without having any sort of misleading tag on it. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I trust the devs on this one. If they say it's worth the work then I cant' wait until it's finished. :)

14. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Can think of a lot more things in life that are EXTREMELY sad, but this really isn't one of them.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Insert Picard Face Palm here.

One of the powers of 64bit is the availability to use more memory addresses. If a software studio releases a 64bit executable to just do that, then their software is 64bit and utilizing 64bit. Honestly, this debate is one of the silliest few posts I think I have ever read. It's the most petty of semantic arguments, made for the sake of arguing. If someone is literally doing something, you can't say they aren't, or aren't by your definition, if you refuse to be mature enough to accept their definitions. Making an accusation of it being misleading when a studio goes 64bit for a specific benefit, just seems immature at best.

16. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Great to see the move to 64bit, was quite annoying getting CTD due to RAM limitations on some tracks with larger fields when I have a 6GB Titan and 32GB of Ram. Nearly everyone's computer and OS will be 64 bit these days and 8GB+ Ram is also quite common, I was surprised how so few applications are 64bit beyond the content creation and editing software.

Once we get a 64bit RF2 version then it will be good to race large AI fields again for those with the systems that can handle this quite well but simply limited by the 32bit application.

17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

So this will mean 64bit plugs for 3ds Max too, right? :D
    Would they need to wait for a 64bit game exe, or could they come sooner?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The Max plugins aren't dependent on the game so they could come sooner if they wanted to.

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

WANT!!

20. freew67

freew67 Registered

What would be the dif of 32 bit vs 64 bit max? I have 0 issues with the 32 bit but then again the biggest track Ive ever made was a 1/2 mile long. lol