Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I don't know about others but my card , or rather I should say my system seems to like DX11 games more than DX9. ProjectCars for example, runs smoother and better in DX11 mode on my system than DX9 , or standard as they call it. If that were to translate to rF2 I'd take that gain any and every day.

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Well of course, this game is committed to XP users so it's only right that the game is fully functioning on that OS.

Personally I would have dropped XP support before rF2 was released to the public, but this has been discussed for too long now. What's done is done.

Upgrading is all part of PC gaming unfortunately. I've upgraded my GPU since buying this game and probably will have to do so again in the next year to get any kind of performance.

3. coops

coops Banned

Upgrading is all part of PC gaming unfortunately.

+1

4. Grubby

Grubby Registered

What my IBM XT 286 won't run RF2, you are forcing me to upgrade, what has this world come too?

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Hi Marvin,
    You missed the operative words....'purchasing base'.
    No company would ever purposely disregard any segment of their potential customer base.
    ISI, much as any company marketing a product, is here to sell as many copies of RF2 as they can.
    Excluding XP users for the benefit of a visual vs car handling/physics gain ( which, afterall is at the core of any good racing simulation), would be foolish.
    Would I be right in guessing you knew of RF2's DX9 foundation prior to purchase?
    Ever wonder why you bought it anyway?
    I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that the 'loss' of visual features was not enough to deter you from what was to be gained overall...DX9 or not.
    It's a position I'd bet ISI took into account when they decided which OSes were viable.
    Would I have liked to see it based on DX11? Absolutely.
    I have more than enough 'fire-power' to run it... and currently use Win8-64.
    Do I understand ISI's position not to exclude anyone they didn't really need to? YES.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Regarding the last comments of the thread about the convenience of developing this software for in my opinion outdated software...

Simracing has been constantly developing for the last years at a very impressive speed. The quality people are expecting in terms of graphics and physics for the newest sims is not compatible with old hardware/software. When you ask to people how is it possible that gt5 has those graphics with a lower machine, they say it goes about how complex is a pc and that a console is a dedicated sotware. I would guess that having to adapt new sofware for a 10 year old OS cannot fully exploit available power. People are expending quite a lot of money in racing wheels and its peripherics but are not willing to spend a cent in software. We have got used to download anything from the web for free. If someone wants to use old equipment he can use rfactor. Please program rf2 with todays capabilities and do not put ANY effort in solving problems for XP. If someone wants to play rf2, adapt your machine to it or stay in rf1

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I will put it in anoyher way so that it is better understood. Imagine AC or Pcars is released wiyb amazing physics, graphics and ffb but would not support xp. What do you think xp owners would do? They would not expend 30 euros in win7? Come on... we know we spend much more in other tthings related
    I
    Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Well, obviously the xp issue was one tough nut to crack because they still haven't managed it yet apparently.

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It's sunday. Don't expect any tweets during weekends. Tomorrow perhaps.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Obviously nothing. When they do all their testing over a weekend now (presumably to have more testers on hand), even if they had 'probably fixed' it last Tuesday (all my words and made up, but it's possible) it was never likely to be released until this week. Also there may have been other work done in the meantime that they then decide to include in the delayed build, so there'll be more stuff that needs proper testing.

You know that old one about assuming? How come everyone's heard that but no one takes any notice of it?

11. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

It was an ironic post!

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Damn! :)

Hmm.. maybe Max's was too... :rolleyes:

13. Radar

Radar Registered

Are you guys brothers, twins.. Larry and Barry, sorry Lazza and Bazza :)

14. coops

coops Banned

^^ maybe the same person PMSL

15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

You guys are easily amused :D

16. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

You bet. All we need is beer, boobs, rf2 and 2 guys with similar nicknames. :)

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

You would have had a ball with Australia v England cricket then.

18. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

19. Radar

Radar Registered

Love your thinking Ronnie :D

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I`m liking that line of thinking too Ronnie...

Especially the first three.

:D