Zero motion blur, amazing!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

You should build a nice dedicated rig ripper, If you can get it close enough buy smaller too close with a large screen and pixel density becomes an issue also its more expense.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Pixel density won't be an issue with 8k displays soon LOLOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I can only build a "light" rig for ease of transport and storage, for me that is the fanatec csl seat. I actually don't mind the pixel density being lower (though wouldn't argue with receiving one with higher density ofc). I find it interesting to hear quite a lot of people say that they can't stand 1080p on anything larger than 24" or else it destroys their enjoyment while i literally sit as close as possible on my 27", comfortably as close as some 15-20" away when playing fps's. When racing it becomes an issue because the CSR-E takes quite a bit of initial desk depth and then in order to be comfortable with arms nearly stretched out it pushes me quite a bit away from the display lowering the effective fov (which i prefer to be as close to 1:1 as i can get away with without completely "letterboxing" my racing view).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  4. smithaz

smithaz Registered

So Ive had the XL2411T for a couple of days now. Firstly it is a big change for me coming from a 32" TV, I have the monitor a lot closer to me than the TV so it has a bit of a different feel even though it is the same size in my vision. As the reviews said the colours are a bit crap and it is washed out, but after changing settings and getting used to it for last 2 days it doesn't seem that bad, it looks fine when your in game and is still an improvement from my old tv.
    The 120hz is quite an improvement from 60 and a lot smoother and less motion blur, already when I am driving it feels much better, probably an improvement because of less input lag aswell.
    The lightboost mode is a bit dimmer and colours are different as advertised. On this monitor the top left corner gives a purple tint when I move a window around on the desktop but in game this is not noticeable whatsoever so doesn't bother me. There is no motion blur in lightboost mode as advertised and you dont even notice the change in colours, it does look a little un-sharp at the timing screen but not too much.
    BUT there is a problem with lightboost because I have the monitor connected as secondary, because in order to enable stereostropic in the driver config, the 2nd monitor has to be set as primary monitor! This is a pain in the arse for me cos I have to change primary monitors and go through tho whole lightboost process every time I want to race with it on. Nvidia need to update their drivers to include 2d lightboost (and a way to enable it on 2ndary monitor)!
    Overall I think this monitor is a good buy for the money, it is by far the cheapest of the options available and looks fine in gaming. Lightboost 2d is pretty damn good, its just a shame its so awkward at the moment, normal 120hz mode is still an excellent improvement over 60hz though.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You should play it at 144hz when not using lightboost. Lightboost 120hz still absolutely murders 144hz non-lightboost, but ya, when not using lightboost go for 144hz man! :)

By the way you can download ICC profiles that supposedly massively improve the colours. People have found some real good profiles. Find ones that are meant for 2d lightboost.

Have you read the article on 2d lightboost triple monitor setup?? Here... http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039773391&postcount=1212

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  6. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Thanks Ill have a look

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Or, you could always de-matte the monitor. Look at crappy matte finish left side VS right side. The colours will pop so amazingly, so rich and vibrant, you will honestly feel like you got a totally different monitor.

"Below is a video showing the dramatic image quality difference with and without the matte film. I think it speaks for itself why I prefer glossy displays. Perceived blacks, color, and contrast are all improved. The colors "pop" and are more vibrant with gloss and the display no longer has a washed-out, dull appearance. You also remove the annoying "sparkle" of whites you get with matte film. At the end of the clip you can see the corner of the polarizer layer and it's rotation to block light."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1359419/...g-film-direct-comparison-same-panel-polarizer

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  8. smithaz

smithaz Registered

With that link from Spinelli I've got my monitor setup nicely. It is setup now so that whenever the monitor is set to 120hz mode it enters lightboost mode, so I have desktop at 100hz and games set at 120hz to play in lightboost mode.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I finally pulled the plug!!!!!

JUST PURCHASED 3X ASUS VG248QE MONITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions....

They come with dual link dvi cables. For eyefinity can I use 2 of the DL DVI-D into my ASUS 7970 Matrix card, and then the 3rd monitor a Displayport 1.2 cable, with no adapters? Will I be able to get eyefinity at 144hz (or at least 120hz) in this way?

What about if I just buy 3 DisplayPort 1.2 cables, can I plug all 3 monitors into the GPU that way (it has 4 displayport inputs)? If so, can I do this with no adapters?

Basically, as long as at least 1 of my connections is a regular Displayport to Displayport cable, does that mean I dont need to deal with any Eyefinity active adapter crap????...............

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  10. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

I just picked up 3 ASUS VG248QE monitors and tried LightBoost. Oh my god. It is absolutely stunning. I never really doubted the people posting in this thread about how great it is, but I'm still stunned. It's a couple orders of magnitude better than non-lightboost imho.

At the moment, my left side monitor is connected thru HDMI, so it cannot do lightboost, so I've got two monitors using lightboost and 1 that isn't. (I'm actually surprised that even works, but it does. I'll be picking up a displayport cable for my left monitor tomorrow so everything is working correctly). But this allows me to compare lightboost vs non-light boost directly in-game. I'm speechless at how clearer everything is! You can see so much detail in the cars and tracks now it's unbelievable.

Sorry, gushing over.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Im using my 3 VG248QE monitors all through direct displayport only. I am amazed at the difference between 60 hz and 120/144hz (144hz is slighlty noticeably better than 120hz but just the smallest amount), honestly I cant get the smile off my face, its such a crazy difference, having said that, I've experienced 120hz 2d lightboost at a friends place a few times and like you said, it is way more amazing than even non-lightboost 120hz/144hz, infact its so amazing that the difference between 120hz lightboost and 120/144 hz non-lightboost may even be just as big, or dare i say bigger, than the difference between 120/144hz (non-lightboost) and 60 hz (non-lightboost).

No video, no peoples posts and claims, can justify how immersive and beautiful 120hz/144hz non-lightboost looks, LET ALONE 2D lightboost @ 120hz, which is owns all.

Now....is there going to be a hack to enable the 2D lightboost at 144hz/3D at 72hz??? That would just be the icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

HELP

So Im trying to get lightboost running. I have 3 VG248QE's connected to a single AMD Radeon ASUS 7970 Matrix all through native Displayport from monitor directly to video card, however for the first time set up to keep things simple I disabled my 2 outside monitors in AMD control panel and am only running the centre screen for my intitial lightboost tests.

1. The problem is that on this page www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost it says that if you want to use the "decreased hit in fps & input lag" version then you need to follow OPTION 3 Alternate Instructions (Custom Resolution Utility) rather than the simpler/easier OPTION 1 Easy LightBoost via ToastyX StrobeLight App. Is this something that needs updating, or do I really have to use the option 3 set-up instructions in order to have the "decreased hit in fps & input lag" version?

2. So the instructions for option 3 are different than when I click on LINK IN OPTION 3 ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility. The instructions in that link do not mention anything about setting the product ID to ACI27F, or about importing the lightboost.bin, however, they do mention something about setting resolutions and selecting either Manual, Automatic - LCD standard, Automatic - LCD reduced or Automatic - CRT standard which the blurbusters instructions do not mention. Im a little confused lol and seem to be seeing different info on the 2 instruction pages both for option 3.

Can someone please tell me a clear step by step way to set up lightboost using the "decreased hit in fps & input lag" method?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  13. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Registered

It's not technically possible on current panels (yet). 144Hz on current panels only works with reduced blanking intervals, which is just not enough time between refreshes to strobe the backlight through.

You don't have to do that with Strobelight.
    Just use ToastyX Strobelight. It's low-lag and easy.

The only high-latency LightBoost method is the old 3D Emitter method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's really easy....
    Turning ON/OFF LightBoost via hotkeys
    Control+Alt+Plus — turns ON LightBoost
    Control+Alt+Minus — turns OFF LightBoost

I'll delete the confusing input lag text from my HOWTO.
    Also, to talk to me directly for LightBoost support, you can register for a BlurBusters.com account and send me a message there too! (I can't visit all forums everyday) :)

After the new easy utility came out, the LightBoost HOWTO has eliminated (erased) the old INF/REG hack which is an obsolete hack which is too difficult for many people. But let me know if you need the old hack again. ToastyX strobelight can easily turn on/off LightBoost on all three monitors simultaneously, and this is the easy/fun way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  14. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Contrary to popular belief, it's not motion blur that creates the illusion of fluid movement. It's your brain.
    And, I just tried 2D lightboost at 120 hz. OH MY GOD. AMAZING.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, it really is amazing.

Visually, it's the equivalent of a non-2d lightboosted monitor (regular monitor/mode) at like 950 fps/hz or something (over 900). I also love the fact that it can work at 100 fps/hz just to give you that little bit of flexibility (obviously 120 is ideal).

What monitor are you using?

16. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Monitor is Asus VG248QE

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Is this the first hardcore gaming monitor to finally do 3D and 2D stroboscopic mode (2D Lightboost, ULMB, etc.) at it's full 144 Hz refresh rate rather than 120 Hz??... I've heard conflicting rumors, but regardless, it will probably be the current be-all end-all hardcore gaming monitor (as long as tested total input lag and pixel response times can match the current top gaming monitors)

ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q

- 1440P resolution (2560 x 1440)
    - Native stroboscopic mode (no having to "hack" 2D Lightboost) which ASUS calls ULMB
    - 3D
    - 1 Ms pixel response time
    - 144 Hz (max) refresh rate
    - NVIDIA G-Sync
    - 8-Bit TN panel (one of the first, if not the first, 8-bit TN panels, most are 6-bit)
    - Because it's a hardcore gaming monitor, I'm assuming it has super low total input lag and pixel response time, just like the other top hardcore gaming monitors, specifically the ASUS VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z/XL2411T, BenQ XL2720Z. This has to still be verified through actual tests though.

There is a catch. It's a rip-off - $800.

I believe part of the super expensive price is not only due to the inclusion of NVIDIA's G-Sync, but because ASUS had to develop their own panel after no manufacturer could come up with one to satisfy ASUS's needs.

18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

ROG stamp is worth a hundred bucks.

Anyway, by looking at the specs I can't really say it's such a ripoff. Like all tech though, wait a year or so and the price will drop. I've always been a fan of ROG stuff, it's ASUS high end.

19. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Firstly thank you Spinelli, mdrejhon and various others for the in depth sharing. This is a visual treat. Although I do not like it on the desktop as it hurts my eyes & head I'll happily use it rF2.

I followed the OSD guide for my S27A950D as I don't believe I can use ToastyX. Except I didn't set the the Magic option as I didn't like what it did to the colour. Initially it was cool enough in temp. As far as I can tell from the pixperan tests there is no issue in not setting this.

This is my dilemma. Should I cap my frames @ 120FPS or not. Could you please clarify your "greatly exceed" comment? Currently if I don't cap my frames at Indy 2014 with a DW12 (test day) my FPS fluctuate between 120-180 (780ti) and mainly sit around 145-165FPS. It only dips down to 120FPS down the pit straight. Now if I cap my frames throughout the lap it can dip as low as 108FPS and regularly throws a handful of frames out now and again. I never understood this as it never gets that low whilst uncapped.. Anyway I am more leaning towards leaving it uncapped as from what I have read around this place the more frames the better for input lag etc.. I dont use v-sync as it seems to kill my FPS performance a fair bit. I do run very high settings though.

Anyway I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're not seeing/getting stutters or other visual anomalies from the fluctuating frames, then just leave them uncapped if thats how you like it and all is well :) . I think it should be just fine.

You're welcome.

By the way, I believe there's a Samsung instructions section on the Blurbusters website linked in the OP.