rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Why so serious?

;)

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

3. TurboGigi

TurboGigi Registered

@ Tim,

you can expect in the near future a new graphics engine in DX11 or RF2 was born and died on DX9?

4. thuGG

thuGG Registered

It's not DX that makes graphics good looking od bad looking. DX11 won't magically make rF2 a pCARS competitor in terms of graphic quality.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My hopes :

All tracks up to the standard of lime rock park

Some Improvements to lighting & weather effects

Car graphics up to skippy & corvette standard

(Not interested in DX whatever number )

That's about it (-;

6. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

DX11 is not so much better. DX9 can still look great, it just need to be tweaked out. If im not wrong shift series and pcars are still dx9 and they look just as any dx11 racing game.
    Rf2 needs shaders and lighting done corectly than it will look just right but none dx will change the look if textures and models are not up to the standarts, especially if people convert mods that are around since f1c or any other game but just to old now.

@Adrianstealth vette is not good example of graphics actually, sorry but it is so. But the next one we have seen WIP from ISI, the camaro looks how all cars should.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've never said never. However, DX11 is more related to performance than graphical quality, that needs to be understood. Developers use the fact that they have DX11 as a selling point, when most often those buying because of it see little benefit from them having it. :)

8. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Hmm...Performance...now I wonder why that may be useful :p

9. gpfan

gpfan Registered

New hardware is based on the most recent technologies and developed towards DX11 games, the newest hardware will perform better in DX11 sofwares, in my point of view its not acceptable to have 50-60 FPS in a DX9 game with poor 3d models and textures. Right now the most valuable side of rFactor2 is the know-how in terms of physics, they provided the best combo out there. Graphic part is just a bad as the team communication some months ago.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, it's not the case.
    This modern hardware will perform to it's full potential under DX9 as well. It's still the same graphics card, with the same clock and memory. DirectX does not influence that.

The thing is, DX11 allows doing certain things in different, more effective ways, than DX9.
    However, to truly take advantage of DX11, you need to redesign not only your game engine, but also content and modding tools.

Just "using" DX11 won't do the trick.

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

We are at the point where things are starting to move into DX11 and forgetting the DX9 altogether. We are 3 OS away from Windows XP, which is the last OS not to have DX10 or better support from MS, although DX10 content works with XP. Linux and Mac is moving towards DX10 aswell by using CrossOver for example.
    No doubt at some point DX9 is gone for good, but that time is not quite yet, and as Tim said in some post some time ago that making one engine with DX9 is more worthwhile than making both DX9 and 11 at the same time.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I vaguely remember a demo video of one of the DIRT series of games showing how water reacted to the tires of the car in both DX9 and DX11. The difference was huge, and more realistic in DX11, but driving at speed no one would notice it.

13. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

fer me its
    - texture quality (limerock and putnam park is good example)
    - shaders (car/wet track reflections, rubber matte, trees/leaves subsurface)
    - environment - (fog, shadow, lens flares, wet environment where everything feels more reflective)

14. thuGG

thuGG Registered

The difference was huge, because they wanted you to think it was huge, it was prepared that way. That's called marketing and you took the bait.

15. TurboGigi

TurboGigi Registered

It seems utopian to say that the DX 9 are better than DX11.

IRacing has also updated its system (10.?) With a marked improvement in graphics and frame rate ..... Why?

DX11 allows the exploitation of the GPU freeing the CPU, with the same definition more frame rate (primary factor in a sim-race). More three-dimensional and image definition. Rounded lines more defined. etc. etc.

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

DX9 enough. The main thing to balance the picture. I hope that they will achieve the real color and light transmission.

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Pretty much.
    F.E.A.R. had such water effects. I've made something similar myself, back in 2005, when no one was talking about DX10, yet.

I remember DX9 vs DX10 comparison video of Crysis - there were no major differences and they just decreased number of visible objects in DX9 to produce a difference visible to average user.

I didn't see anyone say that :)

Did they really? :)
    They plan on moving to DX11, but they call it a large project themselves. The main reason is performance, not graphics improvement.

Do you really think it's a good idea to rewrite rF2 to DX11 now? Just like iRacing guys said - it's a lot of work and would only further delay rFactor 2. I don't think may people want more delays.
    Even iRacing guys are taking it easy and not rushing into DX11.

Time for DX11 may come in future, but definitely not now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  18. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

pCars looks pretty much the same in dx9 as it does in dx11. Dx9 isn't the issue.

19. TurboGigi

TurboGigi Registered

I do not understand your point. I am in my post I wrote in the near future, not today!

And if I think that would bring benefits, it is certain, especially in the frame rate, but I've written before!

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Marketing.

When, if, we do it, it'll be for a visible reason that we think makes it right to do so. Not because of what someone else did and we have to be seen to compete, or because of community pressure to have a higher number. :)