Volume-dynamic sound in rf2

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Flaux, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Here are some sound-settings for better volume dynamics.

It has been discussed in the past with rf1, but I guess there are a lot of new people getting into rf2, so...

Quick explanation: The rf sound engine has build in dynamic parameters to control the volume at various circumstances (idle, full throttle, and even through the rev-scale, etc). If you put all sliders up to 100 or above, those dynamic parameters don't work because the sound engine can't do more than a 100 percent. What you want is, that some of the sliders combined give an output of 100%.

Niels Heusinkveld did a great job explaining it in detail in the past and I hope he kicks in to give more detailed explanations if needed so that everyone can squeeze out a bit more realism when it comes to sounds in rf2.

sounds settings.jpg

Here you'll find Niels sound info from the readme of rf1's corvette mod:

2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've learned that if Niels says to do it, just shut up and do it. The dude is pretty smart with this sim racing engine stuff.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I was intrigued so tried those settings and for me its worse, at full revs the engine goes almost quiet when it should be screaming, opponents are very quiet when passing you/on the grid. Dont like that at all, back to slightly altered defaults for me which seemed to be just fine apart from having to choose 28 shounds instead of 64 as that caused problems.

5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Are you able to turn the Bass down on your motherboard? Ive found if the Bass is too high, it seems to blitz and control how many other frequencies are outputted as well. Once the Bass is leveled down quite abit, the other sounds are more prominent. :)

6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

+1 same examination here.

@Marc: I wonder,... to me it is the other way around. on 100% it feels like the car is more quiet than on 20 or 25% settings... crazy...

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

ISI need a new updated sound engine bad, if anyone has seen the new video of the iracing v8 supercar, you will see what happens when a developer actually puts some proper effort into a new/updated sound engine. Not perfect, but you can definitely hear how much more technically complex and "proper" it is, vs rf2s which sounds like it's from the 2002.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

TBH I noticed very little difference. Maybe it's my speakers or that I'm using 5.1 and not stereo, but when I turned used those suggested settings there was very little difference.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sorry I was being dumb before and failed to notice it's best with headphones! So I plugged them in and it's better but still not great, tire sounds way too low and opponents still barely noticeable but better. I tweaked the settings to nearer what I like but still need to tweak more.

Yeah that iRacing V8 sounds great (although not exactly like real life from what I've read from others) , ISI do need to upgrade the sound area....hopefully one for the future.

10. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I have just tried your suggested settings, and they just made the sounds quieter. I think you have misread what Niels was writing in the quote you posted. Reading that post you linked to, suggests, he did some tweaking to get high dynamic range for his Corvette ZR1 and that one only. Those tweaks require you to adjust your volume sliders to actually hear the difference and maybe even to avoid distortion or ringing due to clipping. You cannot generalize that to rFactor 2.
    I had a look into C6R.SFX of rFactor 2, and that "engine multiplier" isn´t there but volume scaling with revs is:
    Code:
    playerEngineVolumeMinimum=0.721
    playerEngineVolumeThrottleFraction=0.0
    playerEngineVolumeRevFraction=0.279
    so there is a dynamic range. With a street stock Corvette that range might very well be quite high, but racecars are very often deafening at idle revs already, hit the throttle without protecting your ears and say hello to your new companion, Tinnitus. ;)
    And looking again at (non-)playerEngineVolume*, those triplets all add up to exactly 1. So I´d say, the absolute minimum volume the engine will always have is ~72%, and the dynamic part that is dependent on revs is 28%. 72% is awfully close to -3 dB, so the dynamic range of the C6.R is approximately 3 dB. 3 dB is hardly noticeable, so if you think the C6.R has a flat dynamic range, you are absolutely right, it has.
    The final volume is determined by multiplying with the engine volume slider value as an absolute number not a percentage, so this maximum of 1 cannot be exceeded, it can only be attenuated, and the dynamic range in the sound engine stays the same.

However, people noticing a difference in the dynamic range might experience dynamic range issues with their sound equipment. I had a headset once that had a somewhat high impedance and no amplifier in the soundcard or wherever. Especially high volume bass exposed some compression because the soundcard output could not output that kind of power.

But I might be missing something here or misunderstanding that .SFX file. I just wanted to put my POV here, and I hope I made sense.

Kind regards,
    Marcus

Edit: Oops, yet again I forgot something, I am using a headset and the 7.1 speaker setup to feed my soundcard which uses Dolby Headphone.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I hope ISI make a real improvement in the sound engine, only increasing the channels to 5.1 and adding some reverberation when u are near a wall is pretty sad for a game thats 7 years older than it's first. People complain cause the graphics aren't improved enough over rf1, but the graphics have improved 10 fold compared to the sound engine.

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well I like the sound engine. It works great. But I would like to here reverb in tackside cams.