Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. abdielja

abdielja Registered

Can't find the car templates

Hi, I'm trying to download the templates from the url you provided in your article. But templates button seems to be disables. Do you know why or is there another link to get them ?

Thanks.

2. yoghurt

yoghurt Registered

For me all template downloads are still working here:
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Maybe a browser problem?
    I'm using firefox. And you?

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Does anyone have the issue where custom windows/wheels/helmets will not show up on others games? Only the main skin will load. And the Civic template is missing windows on the WindowsOut (I created them here but it should be fixed on the source file).

4. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

There are earlier posts in this thread that address this issue, but I'll reiterate. You need to package the main skin and the custom wheels, windows, helmets, etc. into a .mas archive file. Although these files may be left loose in your custom skin folder and you will see your full customization in game, only the main skin is transmitted to other players in online multiplayer. In order for other players to see them, the skin .dds and supplemental .dds files must be bundled into a .mas file with MAS2.exe. In the case of the BTCC Honda, there can be as many as 7 files, the Renault Clio 3 and its possible to mess with the windshield banner for the C6R.

Start MAS2.exe
    Click Edit>Add files (or the 2nd button from the left on the toolbar)
    Navigate to the folder for your main skin, windows, wheels, helmets etc., and select all the .dds files
    Click the 5th button from the left on the toolbar (Create the MAS file)
    Name it with the same name as you main skin file. (e.g. main skin is honda2alt.dds, name your MAS honda2alt.mas)
    Save it in your custom skin folder.
    Don't leave the source .dds files in you custom skins folder if that's what you were using.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Trust the Canadian to be very helpful. Cheers :D!

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I was in a league race today where several cars' skins didn't show up correctly. They are too shiny and the colors look washed out under the super-reflective layer. Is there anything we are doing wrong? Before Build 494 I didn't have this issue- using the same skin

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The amount of reflection of the skin is determined by the alpha layer of the skin. You need to play around with either darkening or lightening the alpha in order to change the reflections. If the issue is from other drivers cars, then who ever the skin belongs to needs to make the adjustments.

8. datanode

datanode Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im not sure where to post this.
    I started at http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/22794-Newbie-questions-about-skins-Photoshop
    but I dont get answers.

Anyway, I noticed that scaling down logos reduces significantly their details.

I turned them to Smart Objects before scaling them down and this conserves most of the detail when they are scaled down.

The problem is, Image Size went up, from 2048X2048 to 7566X7566 and .psd file size from 16,9MB to 177MB.

I then saved as .tga and then tried to save as .dds as I usually do.
    It didnt, instead it warned me that Image Size must be multiple of 4.
    So I changed down Image size to 7564X7564 but now it saves just a 0MB size .dds file.
    Any ideas?

Also, I have seen around very detailed skins, how do you do them?
    I expect much detail will make Image Size bigger, doesnt this affect the servers?
    What is the optimum size for a skin?

Thank you.

10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

You really should have just posted back to your original thread. Why are you saving as a tga first, PS will SAVE a copy AS a dds directly. "Multiple of 4" is incorrect, 2^nth is what you are looking for: ...1024, 2048, 4096, 8192...). Absolutely you will crush server bandwidth with a 8192x skin.

2048 is fine

Additional detail can be obtained by changing the dds type.