Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RSS

RSS Registered

Wouldn't be bad but its also the HomeTheater PC so its in use a good chunk of the time.

2. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Have you considered installing and activating rf2 on the pc you skin on? I'm not sure if this would have any effect on the installation you race on, anyone any idea?

3. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Can anyone help me out please, I've made a skin but way to shinny I think its to do with alpha channel etc. I have been on google for a while now found a few guides on how to do it etc but can't seem to fix it and just seem to be going round in circles I think I have done something wrong initially maybe wont allow me to fix alpha or my skills are just lacking lol.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96014758/12_f35_alt.psd

Added file here any help much appreciated :D

4. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Sorry to bother but ny friend has the exact same problem. Painting car black but it just looks shiny blue.

So please help both of us :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

5. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I checked your psd and the alpha channel is white, if it's black it should give no reflection.

What car is this?

cheers,

Sean

6. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Can anyone post a video guide of how to paint skins for RF2 ive googled and found some but not for Rf2,,so if anyone has a link to a existing video or if anyone would like to make one and share that would be awesome thanks...

7. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Thanks senna12 well its you car lol :D,
    Its the fr 3.5, I try and make the alpha black, if I deselect the eye on red green and blue channels the alpha has been filled with black, but its still white in the small square box.
    Is there something I should do to change this alpha ?

8. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Right click on a good alpha channel on the stock template, then duplicate channel to your template.

Regards

Sean

9. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I fixed the alpha channel and tried out the skin, nice work...made a helmet to go with it.

edit

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  10. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Thanks Dude Helmet was my next task but you have saved me trouble and i've learnt something win win :D

11. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi Sean,

Great, your skin looks very good...thanks,

regards,

Sean

12. Alesi

Alesi Registered

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Can some one help me make the windscreen on the C6r Zr1 corvette clear from the cockpit looking out. The band of tint is way to low for me and becomes very annoying as the bottom edge continually moving up and down through my eye sight.

I have been able to make the screen clear from the outside looking in but not when sitting in the cockpit while driving.

Any help appreciated

14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hey guys, new painter here. Is it possible to do a matte black colour? Thanks

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I'm making a black skin for the civic at the moment, briefly messed about with a darkened alpha channel and it can give a decent matte look.. i think. I remember Ales making a specific version of the Aura/Bayro to produce a proper matte paintjob, looked very nice, but we have to settle for modifying the alpha channel.

Assuming you already have a black paint base layer, if in photoshop click Channels on the right and select the alpha layer, then in the menu bar at the top click: Image -> Adjustments -> Brightness/Contrast... and reduce the brightness slider all the way to the left, click ok then repeat this a second time. This gives a pretty dark alpha channel. A 3rd pass of this brightness adjustment will take the alpha layer to full black. Not sure just how dark i'll make it for best effect, but it does look pretty decent on track after 2 full brightness adjustments, full black alpha is too much. Mess about with it and see what you think, i've only had a quick look but the glossy reflections are gone leaving a nicely dulled shine from direct sunlight. Need to see what it looks like in conditions other than sunny, hopefully there is a sweet spot that makes it viable.

If you want to use different alpha levels for some of your decals/layers, hold ctrl and click the layer thumbnail then go to view the alpha channel and you'll see that portion of the skin selected and you can paint/fill it with grayscale, no colour. Black is least reflective and white is most. If there are elements on the skin that shouldn't have their alpha channel altered, then you can always select and copy these from the original alpha channel and paste them in over the top of your adjusted alpha chan.

Let us know how you get on with it and if I manage to complete my skin with a decent matte finish anytime soon, i'll post some screenshots along with the alpha channel i've settled for.

If anyone has a better solution, please share :confused:

17. Jamie Shorting

Thanks man. I've been messing around with it a bit now and can't get the look I'm looking for. This is tougher than I thought! :D I'm going to try the third pass and set conditions to cloudy when viewing in just a bit.

18. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Had a look again, sorry, 3 full brightness adjustments(-150 a time) takes it very dark but leaves some contrast in the alpha. The 4th makes it full black, which upon looking again is actually alright in game, had forgotten to turn off f.lux :rolleyes:

I think i'm settled with using 3 brightness adjustments, now playing with shades of black/charcoal for the base paint. This is what I think will help you get the look(or closer to at least) you're going for.
    When choosing your base colour, open the colour picker and try R,G,B 39,39,39 (H,S,B 0,0,15) (dragging to this on the pallette is easy for selecting colours, obviously you can click in each field and type the number but you can also click each field and scroll which is my preference when fine tuning a colour to use if I don't require a specific one). This was just one colour I tried and looked quite good, but try some other shades, maybe a bit darker if you want a really black car, but try and avoid 0,0,0.

Also, I tried overcast at loch drummond and it's only very light clouds I get :confused:

19. Mr.Thor

Mr.Thor Registered

hi, do anyone know how to make the car matte or less reflective with gimp 2.8?? what ever i change on the alpha 1, i see no changes on reflections in game. it is always too much... trying with URD corvette template.

20. Jamie Shorting

o.k. So I'm getting some decent results using Hectari method with some dark blues. It seems as though black is the hardest for a matte finish. Still testing though. :D