Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That's why it isn't working then.

And I can't help you with single skins, they don't work for me either :-(

2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ok, cheers.
    THink I will just leave it until its clear how to get them into the game :)

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Did you try it the normal way though? create a Dir in rf2/car/tuning window. now in userdata/player/settings there is a new folder (Renault_Cliocub_car) with a skin called 'alt.dds'
    in this dir. you should be able to add new skins and select them back in rf2/car/turning with the arrows.

Don't work for me but for others it does, so try it out.

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

The underscore _ isn't needed, only alt must be in the filename.

5. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Tried it without the underscore also still not showing up..any way i can upload the file here so someone can take a look at it?

6. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Upload it here http://www.filedropper.com/ You don't have to sign up.

Then post the link here and i'll have a look unless someone else does first.

7. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Nice looking skin and a simple fix to get it working. The file has the extension .dds.dds you need to remove one of those .dds

9. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Thanks for the help Gearjammer and Hectari took a few to get it working but it shows up now,,only took a few cause im clueless lol

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

No worries :)

As Gearjammer said you have to remove .dds from the file name, the extension isn't needed here as it is already in place and hidden from simply saving it as dds.

The next problem once you have removed that is the file name is too long, preventing rf2 from recognising it as a car skin.

scottC6R_alt - This file name is 1 character too long, remove any character except one from alt, alt needs to be somewhere in the file name to be picked up as a skin and not exceed 11 characters in total.

Any of the following will show your skin in game:

scottC6Ralt
    scottC6_alt
    alt
    scottalt
    salt
    walter
    So a simple file name, even just 'alt' will show it in game but it's good practice to try and give it a unique name, then there's less chance of a skin not transferring because you and someone else online have given their own skin the exact same name. At least I think that would cause a conflict and non-transfer, maybe resulting in you seeing your own skins on each other's cars, but they would also need to be in the same car folder too. I could be wrong about this..

Another thing is your file size is twice that of a usual 2048x2048 skin. This must be something to do with your dds format settings. Just check that you are saving to DXT5 interpolated alpha, 2d texture and generate mip maps. Not exactly sure what else it could be. Even if you don't flatten the image before saving it doesn't change the resulting file size.

Lastly you've left the wireframe layer visible, hide this before you flatten and save. You may have done it deliberately but it doesn't look great as the wireframe is very rough. If you want a wireframe you're better off painting it yourself.

These wireframe skins are pretty cool on the Schubert Z4GT3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway your skin is pretty cool looking, BF4 looks great on it. It's tempting me to get it, said to myself I was staying away from it, damn advertising! :D

11. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Yeah i see the wireframe to after a closer look,hopefully the guy will fix it for me if not ill just run it how it is..not sure why the size is so big ill mention that to him as well

12. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Actually scottC6R_alt.dds is two characters too long (it's 12). Note that the underscore is also a valid character. Shorten it to 10 and it'll work.

Bonus: You can manipulate the windshield CORVETTE banner on the C6R Vette:
    Using MAS2.exe, extract C6R_WINDSHIELD.DDS from C6R.mas
    Rename the extracted C6R_WINDSHIELD.DDS to C6R_WINDSHIELDOUT.DDS (I have no clue why this is necessary, but it works)
    With PS, paint over the Corvette lettering and replace it with whatever your heart desires and save it.

Decide on you final skin name, lets just say in this case ScottAlt.DDS
    Make a copy of C6R_WINDSHIELDOUT.DDS (in case you wish to reuse it in another skin) and rename the copy to include the main file name of your skin, i.e. ScottAltWINDSHIELDOUT.DDS
    Using MAS2.exe, pack both files into an MAS archive and name it with your skin name, i.e. ScottAlt.MAS.
    Place your ScottAlt.MAS file in your C:\Users\yourname\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Corvette_C6RGT2_2009\C6R_03\ folder.

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

11 is working

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..or I really can't count :confused:

With rf2 we can be right today, wrong tomorrow :eek:

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Forgot to say, I opened it and saved to dds with correct settings and was then the right file size of around 5mb. I would pass it on to you but the guy who made you it has the original psd and needs to remove the wireframe anyway.

15. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Thanks Hectari passed on the info and hes fixing it up now..thanks again for taking time to detail the issues and fixes ..thanks to gearjammer and deadpedal to great to be part of such a helpful community

16. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Lol! Guess I'm wrong today! Hey, if it works, it works...can't argue with that! Impressive skin BTW.

17. Pepstain

Pepstain Registered

One question,
    is it possible to use the Fresnel effect in Rf2?

Thanks!

18. Saro

Saro Registered

The wireframe provided with the Skippy seems to be a bit wrong, missing some parts and showing another part where the red light at the back lives.

19. RSS

RSS Registered

Read thru everything but didn't find any mention of a Vehicle Viewer? Anybody have a way I could view my vehicle outside of the game?

I do not use the same computer for editing as I do for racing so heading downstairs loading it up copy paste look for things I have to change head back upstairs make changes come back down try again gets really annoying / time consuming.

TIA

20. Hectari

Hectari Registered

How about a remote desktop connection?

Could be a good solution, there should be a program that will do it over your home network instead of having to use your internet connection. I can't make any recommendations though as I don't have experience with such software.