Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Are you talking about the polished metal or chrome look? If so, you would basically make a medium grey in that area and in the alpha channel you want to make that area almost 100% reflective. Just make sure that the decals are not as reflective.

2. Hanjin

Hanjin Registered

http://radikal.ru/F/i036.radikal.ru/1305/bb/d3351cf40195.jpg.html

Can I get a picture for car in RF2?
    Marussia, Corvett, or other car?
    I have a video where the guy shows how to work with alpha channel.
    How does this apply to RF2 cars?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kH2XPCwZVY

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

rF1 and rF2 work the same when it comes to the alpha channel. If you follow what the person in the video was talking about you will be getting high gloss in the areas you want.

4. bassweight

bassweight Registered

Is there a reference image available that labels what part/area of the vehicle is where within the template files - the wireframe is mostly sufficient, but, there are still a few areas which I am not sure what area of the car they actually associate with. Also, I wonder if anyone has a third-party .dds skin/model viewer? :p

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure about a skin viewer, but if you wish to see where each part goes I find it best to put numbers or colors on a template and make a skin to see where they show up in the showroom. Obviously you would need to make each piece a separate color or number so there is no confusion. Numbers work better btw so that you can see if any portion of the skin is going to require that decals be mirrored instead of normal.

6. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

I recommend making a .dds that is entirely a color gradient, very broad, with a circular layout. When you view it in the game, note which parts of the car carry which odd colors, and then you can identify which area in the template pretty easily.

Look at the attachment to see what I mean.

View attachment 7596

Oh, and particular parts I did write words on to see what they were... you can see a little of that on the rollbar, and the bulkhead behind the driver says "WHAT IS THIS THEN" in small text, if you look closely.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The gradient is an interesting idea, but to be certain that you can easily identify the parts, I would still recommend each area on the template getting it's own color. With gradient there is a possibility that 2 parts might have the same or very similar colors so being able to identify a single part becomes more difficult.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:)

9. lachgummi

lachgummi Registered

Where can I get a template for the helmet. For the new Meganes there are Custom helmets available.

10. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Isn't the "Reload" button in spinner working? When I hit the Reload button, nothing happens and I have to relaunch the game to see the changes I've made.

11. ifrans

ifrans Registered

it works for me the reload button

12. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Am I doing something wrong then? My skin is in rFactor2/USerData/player/Settings/M2009_car/M_2009_01/ALTTupsi.dds. I overwrite it, press reload and nothing.

13. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

It's just the first underscore character in the M_2009_01 folder name. It should be M2009_01. The name of this folder must be exactly as the .veh file name appears (minus the .veh extension) in the M2009_team.mas file.

14. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Yes it is M2009_01, just a typo there :eek:

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I take it this does'nt work for Offline? as I've tried but cannot get the skin to show up in game

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok I dont think this is working in 228 as an update may of changed something so need some help please, trying to get Skins working for AI (offline), but when I get to the (bold) part at the bottom I get an error message saying "error opening mod file".
    In the MAS program the File area is blank above but that's because this is a fresh/new rfcmp...so I'm a little lost, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

EDIT: ok scrap the above, clicked the File and chose a name and it saved and packaged correctly....but now when I install the rfcmp nothing shows up in game :confused:

EDIT2: ok getting there (hehe!), created an RFMOD not an RFCMP and I've got it up and running in game....but I cant get it to show under All Cars All Tracks :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  17. the_painter

the_painter Registered

18. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Have a question about the file DDS naming.
    When have skin named Altskin1.dds i can find it in the game, with the same named Altpjd1.dds (for example) I can't find it in the game.
    There are a rule for naming of one's skin ?

Also, if I put my own skin, for exemple, in CR6_06 folder named Altskin1.dds, if I go on a server and an other player have an another Altskin1.dds in C6R_06 folder and use it too, what's happened with the auto skin download ? Mine is overwrited ? The game don't download the other skin, or the game download and rename the second skin ?

Thank

19. dandar

dandar Registered

@GaetanL
    As far as i know you must also create a new "Altpjd1.veh" file for the new skin. This file contains the property:

DefaultLivery="Altpjd1.dds"

This way you tell the sim to use a new livery. Just copy paste an existing .veh for the new CR6 "as a template" and just change that value.

If I recall correctly:
    - You will not be able to select the new livery for a multiplayer race if the server does not have the livery properly installed.

- In case that another player is using the same livery name in another putor then every player sees his own version of the livery for that car, since I've not tested this yet in rf2 I can't assure you that the livery will not be overwritten but in rf1 livery where not shared across multiplayer sessions, and where also excluded from checksum validation (when you join to a server and shows a msg like "file.ext mismatch"). This is also valid for sound files, everything else validates unless specified otherwise in the server .plr file.

20. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Ok thank I will try that.
    If I understand, I mustg create a new file.txt with only one line contain DefaultLivery="Altpjd1.dds" and after I must save as "Altpjd1.veh"