IS RF2 meant to be this atrocious....or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65GTO, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Hi all, a member called Hammad has been helping me to get rf2 on the pc. He is truly a prince amongst men and is a general superstar. However.....

Why does the game run so s l o w l y? I've even turned down all the graphics and stuff and it's still impossible to use.

Have I missed something? I thought that rf2 would finally reveal that PC racing is better than my old PS3. I know that it should be, but the difference is that the PS3 worked. All the time. Without fail. Ever. At least RF1 ran at a decent speed inbetween crashing or failing (again) to load a track or car...

Please somebody say that I've missed something simple and that the game will run as smoothly as Gran Turismo used to...if not better.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

buy a new computer - or clean the virii etc... off your present computer. If your computer is as old as your PS/3 it probably won't run any current gen games...

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

If you still have your pc from pre-ps3 era, you might have to upgrade.
    If not, it wouldn't hurt giving some more info so people can help you out :)

edit:
    blast you blaringfiddle! ;)

4. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

I know nothing about my pc, other than the person who sold it to me told me that it would run rf1 no problem....and it did. Man I regret selling my ps3 now. If you knew how much actual game time I've lost trying to get fr1 ad now rf2 to work reliably.....

5. Twista

Twista Registered

You understand that RF2 requires a vast amount more computer resources than RF1? You can't really blame for what you're complaining about.

6. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

If you don't even know what kind of hardware you have, you probably shouldn't be looking for this generation of games until you get a new pc.
    PC gaming, while usually higher quality, requires more maintenance, understanding of your hardware, and just plain tinkering with settings, as opposed to consoles.
    rF1 is also a 2004 game (correct me if im wrong)

7. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

No...........I don't. I know nothing about computers and was guided by Hammad, who's been an absolute star in helping me out. He probably assumed my pc was better than it is.

I inherited it from a friend of mine who committed suicide in 2008 and my sister's ex' fitted a graphics card so it could run RF1...which it did. That's all I know about it. Oh, that and it says Dell Optiplex 755 on it.

8. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Fair enough.....but you could give me a brand new, super-duper PC and I still would have no idea of what hardware I have!

9. Twista

Twista Registered

It's really simple once you read up on it, and it saves situations like this happening. Just taking a quick look at the Dell you have, it's quite clear it's not designed at all to run games, it's a business machine. From the tech specs I've seen it doesn't have a dedicated graphics processor, and so it doesn't come close to the specs required for RF2. Sorry to disappoint you.

10. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

Unfortunately knowing your hardware and what it's capable of is quite essential. If you plan to PC game, or even just for sim racing alone, in the future you will always be left behind not knowing what's wrong with your PC, if there's anything wrong to begin with.

If that Dell still has the original motherboard, cpu, power supply and RAM, (video exempt in this case due to old hardware) you will definitely need a new PC. Something with a decent Quad core CPU, 6-8gb RAM is a good idea, and give a look around at what video cards are good within your own reasonable range of pricing.

However I must reiterate the importance of knowing your equipment, the more you know, the more you get, basically :p
    I wish you the best in your endeaver for performance! :D

11. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

You can type dxdiag in Start > Run and a window will pop up like below. It tells you what you have. Example below.

12. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Oh I'm not disappointed in the slightest. When my friend died and I got the thing I knew what it was for, and it was in his memory that I decided to use it for rf1.....which it did remarkably well after I got the graphics card (would it be an ATI?). I think it's done amazingly well for something not designed for the task.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Hi Andy,

The main thing you want to know is memory, graphics card, and CPU. So if you are on Windows you can check the memory and cpu by doing the following:

Open Windows explorer then right-click on the icon that says My Computer, then click Properties.

You should see the installed memory (RAM), i.e. the amount of RAM your computer has as well as the CPU detail. It will also tell you what version of Windows you are running.

For the graphics card you need to google "check windows graphic card" and find the steps for your version of windows since it varies.

rF2 and probably rF1 is a much better driving game than GT5, which I used to play, but if you are looking for no hassles, load and go, consoles are where you probably want to be.

14. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

That's a great help Salajutsu, thanks! This is all foreign language to me though. I'll build you a V8 race motor, and I've won real-life races....but computers have always escaped me. They're a bit like high-boost engines in that even the most seasoned experts sometimes stand over them saying.... "well it's never done that before!"

For now I'll go back to rf1 and will see if, later in the year, i can upgrade to something better :)

15. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

Oh dude, don't worry a bit. When I was first getting into them, I was a rage-ball of confused. It's a tough and foreign world for sure. If you stick with it, and keep up on forums like these, and asking around, there will always be people to help :) eventually you get a better feel for it.

Might I ask if you have updated your drivers for your computer component like the graphics card?

Also to find what graphics you have, you can hit (if windows) Windows key + Pause|Break or just Pause - depends on keyboard- .
    next on the top right hit "Device Manager" and a window will pop up with a bunch of different names and "+" signs. Clcik the + for Graphics Adapter. Most cards should tell you what series card you have.

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Since rF2 is in the status as it is (beta) atm, its not the easiest pc game to navigate thru. Rather than just insert a dvd or install from one file installer it takes a little know how to even install the client with all the ISI content, not to mention all the mod content.
    Its on many occasion that folks here have had to fiddle with the graphics settings to get what they are looking for from the rF2 visually and performance wise, and even so it may not be quite there for all, so patience is the key here.

I am quite confident that over time as gold approaches, there will be more customer friendly way to install, get content and use the car/track/series selection screen.
    Also the performance will be optimised so that it will run better with the pc's out there. That being said, there is never going to be time that it will run well on an old pc (5 years+). This task in console language, would be trying to run a ps3 games on ps2.
    The physics detail alone will take a big chunk of computing power, and when you add the graphics engine to it, the task gets more daunting for your pc still.
    If its not build for the task in the first place (AKA is too old/weak to handle the demands of modern games) it will be waving a white flag and begging for mercy.

IS pc sim racing better than console. Yes, in almost all aspects generally, but it does depend on what are you looking for.
    If its easy, instant and ****loads of content, with no regard for especially realistic physics or player made content and moding options, then console would be the way to go.
    If its most realistic virtual racing experience you can have, with best possible online support and constantly expanding mod content, then it is deffinetly pc. (Im sure others can come up with more differences, but those would be the basic differences.)

I have no doubt at all that rF2 is worth the weight of new pc in gold, if not yet, surely in near future. If that didnt make any sense... as in buying a new pc for rF2 that is obviously useful for a whole lot of other things aswell, is a good choise to make.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

btw 65GTO, even if your specs were strong, you would have great trouble making things work, it seems you have a steep ladder to climb to understand how PCs work.
    Im everyday using them since 2000 and I still feel a noob.

What is comforting, is that I started understanding things by trying installing games, mods in race sims, flying sims etc just by reading "Readme", I think Hammad can only get you started, you must do the rest yourself, only way to do this is by spending more time on the evil thing called pc.

Otherwise I suggest go back to consoles, although I strongly believe that you will get a tons more satisfying time racing and working on PCs.
    Though, unfortunately you must use pc everyday to get familiar with it

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

the PC is from before 2008. It doesn't really matter what the specs are, it will not run rF2 well. Even new, an Optiplex is not a gaming machine.

65GTO, you just need to buy a new PC.

19. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Lol. Console gamers.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hey 65gto do u gave steam? Or somethin where we could chat in? I can help u with finding out what u got n such and configuring stuff but I'm feeling too lazy to type and would much just help in real chat.

Maybe if ISI got with the freakin times and implemented an in-game chat system we could just chat on there, (not to mention it would spark the sim racing community more as ppl make friends and acquaintances with others through talking in-game and such).