Damage model

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by lbird, Feb 6, 2013.

1. lbird

lbird Registered

It seems that the damage model took a step forward with the latest build 146:

Quote from the build notes:
    Added ability to specify that one part must break off before another does
    Added “postrequisites”, other parts that must fall off if one part falls off.

Has anybody played with this already and what other steps would be necessary to improve the model? Because right now the damage in the ISI cars and the modded cars seems to be very simplistic....

Is it already possible to deform/bend/scratch parts of the car?

2. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

deform/bend/scratch nothing of that yet i guess, didnt notice any of it.
    But for other parts you mentioned like multiple parts that must break of before another one does it would be great to know more and how to make that.
    There was only the note in update but no explanation how to do that.

3. lbird

lbird Registered

True Ales, i was thinking the same. Sounds good, but how does it work?

4. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

I would like to know that to, i guess Tim will update the modding tutorials shortly if he isnt yet.

5. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

ISI could take a hint from AC, having one of their people open for questions to explain everything needed.

6. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

The main intention was to provide a way for parts that are bound together to break off when the supporting part is broken off. For example, in certain cases, it used to be possible to lose a suspension piece, but the wheel would remain in working condition on the car.

We actually have 2 ways of defining dependencies
    this 'Prereq' short for Prerequisite requires that a part be broken off, BEFORE another part is able to be broken off.

For example
    FrontWingPrereq=Part0 // Here, the front wing would become indestructible until Part0 / Debris0 instance is broken.
    Part5Prereq=Wheel0 // More useful, suspension is invulnerable until the wheel is broken off (assuming Part5 is a suspension piece). Might be appropriate for sedan type racers.
    Wheel3Prereq=Wheel2 //<- silly but possible
    you can define any of parts available in the damage.ini

Prerequisites are generally recommended for parts that entirely conceal other parts and so should be sparingly used.

The more useful version is the Postrequisites, which define parts which must break off together with the object.
    For example, if you have a wing with detachable end plates, you could define this as,
    FrontWingPostreq=Part0
    FrontWingPostreq=Part1

With this entry, instances debris0 and debris1 will break off if the front wing is broken. You can define this for any detachable part in the damage.ini

7. lbird

lbird Registered

Thank you Michael, that explains it. By the way, any news about the other damage bits (bending parts etc.)?

8. Radar

Radar Registered

I use to use a damage file in rF1 that would show small dents on a car if another rub along side it for instance.. Is this the direction we are looking at ? I've tried damage file from rF1 to rF2 (the values) and nothing happened..

9. moseisly

moseisly Registered

Oh nice! Pleasantly surprised this feature was added as I had just posted a thread about it few months back! I was having issues where the front wing broke off but end plates remained magically in air in front of car lol. Similarly with rear wing where the top plate remained. Great stuff!

Suspension bending would the next big thing to improve visual damage!