Thrustmaster t500 with rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turfman666, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't really understand the problem your having RÄI.

When you turn the wheel in any car do you have forces produced at your wheel?

Or were to expecting that the wheel should return to center when you turn the steering wheel (even when your car is not moving)?

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have now tried 100% force and 0.33 multi in game (with Howston and Megane). While the feeling is good I struggle with curbs etc. Going off road produces too rough forces, with 60% in the profile feedback from those things were much smoother. What to do?

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Maybe try a compromise? Maybe try 80 or 85%?

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Tig, what were you using before?

From the sounds of it, you were getting clipping over kerbs before which is why they felt smooth but now you use such a low ingame ffb multiplier your not hitting the clipping whilst riding over kerbs and instead feeling their severe shape change at the wheel which is indeed tricky to manage.

It's sort of like if you put your hands out and someone places a stack of heavy books onto them. Initially your arms move down despite the fact you can see the heavy books as they're placed onto your hands. Your mind is reacting in delay because the only reference it has to judge how much force you need at your arms is by a visual guess of the weight and the guess is almost never right. However, say you held the book in one hand and then placed it onto your other hand, the problem would not exist here because you have complete References for how much the book weighs and you receiving hand does not deflect when you transfer the book.

Now imagine you don't need to make a guess at all because each and every book weighs the same. Youd just lock your arms with the correct upward force as needed to support the last book. This is analogous to clipping.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I understood that clipping meant heavy unsmooth forces...

I used to have 60% (60/100/100/0/0) in driver and now I have 100% (100/100/100/0/0).

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What did you use ingame too?

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

0.6 multi with Howston (that is when I had 60% in driver)

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hmm...don't know what to say. The ffb is rough on kerbs and grass for me too.

Perhaps try even lower ingame ffb for yourself but it may kind of negate the point of using 100% in the t500 control panel (to reduce initial ffb deadzone) in the first place.

edit: Just re-read this. Sorry, didn't click the first time.

Clipping is a constant force issue which means it's smooth. This is what happens if you have excessive clipping over rumble strips or just enough clipping so that when you go drive a wheel over a kerb which generates a sort of progressive fluctuation in the ffb (sort of like half a sinusoid), instead you get a clipped sinusoid.

The one of the right in this pic shows what i mean:

[​IMG]

Looking at the right side first, the dotted red line represents the true forces calculated at the virtual steering wheel and the blue line are the clipped ffb forces sent to the wheel. When you've lowered the ingame ffb multiplier enough, you scale the range of virtually calculated forces to match closer the range of forces producible at your sim wheel and avoid clipping issues all together.

In reality, this is not completely needed (to include kerbs and rumble strips) and i do still have clipping issues when running over rumble strips and only a little over kerbs. Of course the more you can avoid clipping in these instances the more realistic the feedback. However, lowering the ingame ffb multi too much and you suffer the low end detrimentally which i have experienced and could no longer catch oversteers when the low end forces were too light/loose. It's a compromise.

So perhaps try increasing your ingame ffb higher above 0.33 to regain some clipping of the rumble strips and kerbing to get a smoother feel over them? If you used 0.6 before then try 0.36 and play around +/- with it.

9. RÄI

RÄI Registered

DrR1pper Hello ; if you turn the steering wheel car stopped not return to center.
    With the car moving if you force
    Thrustmaster Panel periodic force does nothing
    damping forces does nothing
    I have to modify ini controller for strength and amaortiguador spring?

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Constant and Periodic force/gain DO affect ffb completely. If you turn down you will reduce the strength of constant forces, if you turn down periodic you will reduce the strength of osculating forces. Test for yourself in the "Test Forces" tab and find one that has constant force and try with 0% constant 100% periodic and then fine one that has oscillation and try with 100% constant and 0% periodic and you'll find there is no force at the wheel. You should have these both on 100% and for you, use 60% overall effects strength.

Damper and Spring force/gain will act to resist your inputs at the wheel. So if you use damper you will get a dampening force that increases with the speed that your rotate your steering wheel. Spring force acts like a centring spring but instead of it acting at the wheels centre position it acts at the wheels equilibrium position in the games physics (e.g. if you drift the car and the balance is such that the wheel is stable in a turned position...this is the wheels new equilibrium position and spring centring will act on this position).

However, you don't really want to be using dampening and spring forces at all as these are artificial forces. All force feedback effects that include any amount of spring or damper in the wheel will come from the game's physics if there should be any in the first place. Damper and Spring force/gain should be 0%.

Alternatively, if you use 100% overall effects strength, then you need to use an ingame ffb multiplier that is 40% less (e.g. if you used 0.7 then you now need 0.7 x 0.6 = 0.42).

11. RÄI

RÄI Registered

It is normal that the panel did not make any tackles Thrustmaster effect of spring and damper rFactor2?.
    Just to know that the steering wheel is well

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If you mean that it was set to 0% for damper and spring by default....yes....it's perfectly normal.

Are you new to rf2 RÄI?

13. RÄI

RÄI Registered

I am not new rfacto2 I take time with the not yet cleared me
    What I do not understand is why does no effect panel Thurustmaster
    Probare costante down hard and periodic
    I had doubts whether the malfunctioning wheel embers

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I understand that english is not your first language but i find it had to try to understand what it is your saying.

15. antgen

antgen Registered

I guess you are happy now DrR1pper with 493 (Unstable) build :) I haven't try it yet, but if you find the best setting in "Steering torque minimum" let us know :)

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hehe...yeah i just done a 1.5 hour test with it in various setting amounts on my t500 and there's a positive and a negative to it. The positive is really positive (great improvement to the low end forces which completely removes those sudden complete lightness in the ffb when in certain corner entry and exit situations) but i think the single negative (which Terence predicted perfectly but it's not terrible but it's not great either :p) could be rectified. I will discuss it in the unstable build thread so it doesn't confuse others who don't know about it. I think it just needs a little tweak if possible.

I'm very grateful to Terence and/or whoever (else) adding it in! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  17. Silentsnoop

Silentsnoop Registered

the t500 is a Monster of ffb effects.

maybe u should try the correct seat Position and dont Change configs ;)

View attachment 11744

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This seat position is ok for F1 cars only! I have a higher seat position alla gT cars!

19. Silentsnoop

Silentsnoop Registered

the first pic is gt seat Position ;)

20. Silentsnoop

Silentsnoop Registered

the first pic is gt seat Position ;)

u can see in the first pic the ass and feet same height

and formula1 Position feet are higher than ass

the gt Position in pic is modeled for a Person 172cm (i am happy im 173cm)